Suns need to be more athletic in 2021

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading how Steve Kerr feels the Warriors need to be more athletic next season. This is something that applies to the Suns as well.

It's nice to hear Kerr talk about it especially since the Warriors already have athletic players like Stephen Curry, Andrew Wiggins, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, Marquese Chriss and Eric Paschall.

By Drew Shiller of NBC Sports:

"I think we need to be more athletic, for sure," Steve Kerr said Wednesday on "The TK Show" podcast with The Athletic's Tim Kawakami. "We're obviously very skilled. But we don't have an overly athletic team.

"We've lost a lot of bounce and a lot of pop on the wings -- even at the center position. (So) right now, we're not big enough or athletic enough to get where we want to be. But we all know that.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-roster-next-season-far-finished-steve-kerr-says

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How bout the Suns need to be more talented

The Suns need to have better shooters

The Suns need to player smarter

The Suns need to play harder.

is that Warriors list a joke? They mention guys like Marquese Chris? Pascal? Wiggins? Those guys are all very flawed players.

We just had a GM that valued athleticism over actual skill and it killed us

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bout the Suns need to be more talented

The Suns need to have better shooters

The Suns need to player smarter

The Suns need to play harder.

is that Warriors list a joke? They mention guys like Marquese Chris? Pascal? Wiggins? Those guys are all very flawed players.

We just had a GM that valued athleticism over actual skill and it killed us

I'm talking about the Suns need to add athleticism to their roster, not the flaws of some of the Warriors players.

A player like Wiggins is athletic whether one likes him or not. Suns need more players who are athletic and talented.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm talking about the Suns need to add athleticism to their roster, not the flaws of some of the Warriors players.

A player like Wiggins is athletic whether one likes him or not. Suns need more players who are athletic and talented.

Yeah that’s great. He can’t defend, pass or shoot to save his life, but yes he’s an athlete

so would you not want a team with Luka and Jokic?

I’ll take guys that can actually play basketball

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to be more collectively athletic as a team.

Players like Kaminisky, Jerome, Baynes and Saric are fine if a team has one or two players like this but a roster needs to be more athletic as a whole.

I think this is one of the reasons Saric was so effective off the bench because he didn't have to match up with a more athletic starter from the other team.

Also the Suns need to find more players that fit needs. Okobo was redundant and the Suns could use an upgrade over Diallo.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s great. He can’t defend, pass or shoot to save his life, but yes he’s an athlete

so would you not want a team with Luka and Jokic?

I’ll take guys that can actually play basketball

Yes. I will take Luka and Jokic. Can you get them here stat?

I can't believe you are suggesting Luka is not athletic.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree that we need to be more talented.

Just focusing on being athletic is just the icing no cake.imo

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Suns need better players on the bench.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think we are all bracing for James Jones taking this year's version of Ty Jerome in the draft, whoever that may be.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a random thought:

What is worse selling a first round pick or picking the next Ty Jerome?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are all bracing for James Jones taking this year's version of Ty Jerome in the draft, whoever that may be.

Or bracing for the Suns to add more players with average athleticism. Talent and athleticism do not need to be incompatible in a player.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why would you say that? Why not brace for him taking this year's version of Cam Johnson? I'm just not sure why James Jones deserves such a criticism.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That would be Desmond Bane, Tyrell Terry or Grant Riller.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why would you say that? Why not brace for him taking this year's version of Cam Johnson? I'm just not sure why James Jones deserves such a criticism.

While he has proved to have an NBA future as a nice role player, Cam is still below average athletically and will never be a legitimate NBA starter.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
While he has proved to have an NBA future as a nice role player, Cam is still below average athletically and will never be a legitimate NBA starter.
Even if you are right, so? Do you think that justifies assuming James Jones is going to take the next Ty Jerome?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even if you are right, so? Do you think that justifies assuming James Jones is going to take the next Ty Jerome?

I am just saying James Jones has a track record of overemphasizing BBIQ and shooting at the expense of athleticism. His M.O. appears to be the opposite extreme of McDonough, and what we need is a middle ground where we have a good mix of BBIQ/shooting and athleticism/strength. Jones is obsessed with the former and ignoring the latter.

I really do think Jones primarily wants players who remind him of himself.

And to his credit, every team could use a James Jones or two. The problem is when your rotation includes 6 or 7 of him...

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

so are you saying there’s no room in the NBA for shooters who aren’t elite athletes?

please god say yes so I can list a hundred guys who have had really good NBA careers.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Well, the scuttlebutt we've heard so far is the Suns are "extremely" interested in Riller and Bane... who are at best late, and probably more likely, second round talents. And the past evidence we have is that Jones overdrafts players he likes.

Now, Cam turned out to be a decent player in his rookie campaign. But the reality is the Suns could have utilized the assets they had to maximize their return and got a better talent with their own pick, and likely gotten Cam as well with a later pick, if they were so sold on having him.

No matter how you slice it, Jerome was not a good pick. Now they are in a hole looking for another young PG to develop, and it seems they may repeat two negative trends of last year - overdrafting someone Jones "likes" and taking relatively unathletic player(s) simply because they fit Jones' "profile."

Now that's only speculation at this point based on rumors we have been hearing. They may end up going in an entirely different direction. But if they do follow the rumors we've been hearing, I know my reaction will not be positive. The Suns are not the Lakers - they are in no position to be wasting good draft capital on guys who can fill 10th or 11th man roles.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerome was a bad pick, sure, but it seems like everyone forgets we also got Baynes in that deal. We traded the #30 pick this year for a very good backup Center who helped carry the team while Ayton was out and a PG prospect who had a very good college career but lacks the athleticism to be more than a spot up shooter in the NBA. Sure, it sucks he didn't pan out but the cost was very low and I'd still make that trade today.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jerome was a bad pick, sure, but it seems like everyone forgets we also got Baynes in that deal. We traded the #30 pick this year for a very good backup Center who helped carry the team while Ayton was out and a PG prospect who had a very good college career but lacks the athleticism to be more than a spot up shooter in the NBA. Sure, it sucks he didn't pan out but the cost was very low and I'd still make that trade today.

This is an excellent point. Also, it's not like there were a ton of great options drafted after Jerome. Keldon Johnson looks solid; Bol Bol and Kevin Porter have upside; Eric Paschall played well. That said, most players picked 24 or later have been pretty underwhelming, which is to be expected. And even those players we missed...it's not like they're locks to be actual difference makers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good points made.

No doubt Ty Jerome looks like a bad selection at #24. One could argue that the draft grades received for Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome could be partially based on if the Suns keep Saric and Baynes. I hope that doesn't enter the thinking of James Jones but I wouldn't rule it out. I'd like to have the 30th pick in this draft back but what is done is done.

If the Suns want to go after Bane or Riller they should try to buy a draft pick to do it. Too many good options at #10 to pass up. Even in a trade down the Suns would have better options. There are some good players that have talent and athleticism into the 20-30 range.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see no value in specifically targeting athleticism. If we improve where we need to we will likely improve our athleticism along with those improvements. Add defense, chances are you're adding athleticism. Add shooters that can get their shot off against a strong defense and you're likely adding athleticism and so on.

I still don't buy the idea that JJ is avoiding athletic players, he's simply prioritizing BBIQ and bball skills over pure athleticism. And that's the opposite of a bad thing IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose