The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the list for the Suns. Nothing newsworthy, just lists salary info.

Appreciate you posting the information. I was sort of hoping they would give some insight as to what teams may be thinking.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
That was true of Shaq in his Laker prime but so was the constant complaint that he got away with more than any other player. And Lebron, flops, gains advantage by fouling and whines about every single call and non-call that doesn't go his way in addition to being one of the most hacked players in the league.

It is the rare rare occurrence when an NBA player raises his hand in acknowledgement of a foul. If you watch, EVERY player whines and cries about fouls called/not called. It’s part of the game and part of understanding the game as a fan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The messaging didn't bother me a bit. It doesn't effect watching a game.

I can see it having some effect on racists, but there are other reasons ratings are down. There’s a lack of juice in these bubble games, not to mention this is a big mismatch of a series. I usually watch a ton of playoffs and ALL the Finals, but I checked out when the Clippers lost because it was a) obvious the Lakers would steamroll and b) there just was something a little unsatisfying about bubble atmosphere.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think people are just missing the obvious -- the brand of basketball put on display just isn't that good. The Lakers just are not a nice looking basketball team and do not play the "beautiful game" beautifully. IMO. They are winning, so their fans don't care, but the league needs neutrals and fans from other teams to watch the playoffs.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can see it having some effect on racists, but there are other reasons ratings are down. There’s a lack of juice in these bubble games, not to mention this is a big mismatch of a series. I usually watch a ton of playoffs and ALL the Finals, but I checked out when the Clippers lost because it was a) obvious the Lakers would steamroll and b) there just was something a little unsatisfying about bubble atmosphere.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that the ratings dip is due to the NBA's support of BLM. They aren't usually up against the MLB playoffs and the NFL, for one thing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Admittedly the Heat-Lakers series is a mismatch but the other playoff games I watched were fantastic. Honestly, I didn't miss the fans. It really hit home when the cameras were doing a side view of the game and my daughter asked me about the stands. I was thinking everything looked normal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Montrezl Harrell has won the 2019-20 NBA Hustle Award. He already won the Sixth Man Award.

I've always liked him for the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I think people are just missing the obvious -- the brand of basketball put on display just isn't that good. The Lakers just are not a nice looking basketball team and do not play the "beautiful game" beautifully. IMO. They are winning, so their fans don't care, but the league needs neutrals and fans from other teams to watch the playoffs.
Losing is never a “beautiful game”. That’s the reason we never see a “beautiful game” involving the Suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good things about Russell Westbrook I didn't know about.

From Royce Young ESPN Staff Writer:

On his way out of the NBA bubble in Orlando, Florida, Houston Rockets star Russell Westbrook wanted to show his appreciation for the housekeepers of the Grand Floridian hotel, and he did it with an $8,000 tip, according to the Dallas Morning News.

"They took great care of us," Westbrook told Bleacher Report, confirming the tip. "Took the time and energy to do their job at a high level. That was the right thing. I like to do the right thing."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...leaves-8000-tip-bubble-hotel-staff-per-report

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Losing is never a “beautiful game”. That’s the reason we never see a “beautiful game” involving the Suns.
The Suns are completely irrelevant and have nothing to do with what I posted. Confused why you even brought that up.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm still not sure what your point is. We're talking about the Finals in the bubble with the Lakers. What does that have to do with the Suns?

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ratings are down because no wants to watch Labrons act. Thank goodness his run is almost done, age has caught up to him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ratings are down because no wants to watch Labrons act. Thank goodness his run is almost done, age has caught up to him.

Not sure how much she has caught up to him considering he’s the still the best player in the game. And prob has another 2-3 years of near dominant okay left in him.

also, I don’t think people are that sick of LeBron. This is just a totally ho hum series everyone knows was over before they even jumped ball in Game 1. If next years Finals is say Lakers v. Brooklyn and it’s LeBron/AD v. KD/Kyrie I guarantee you those rating will skyrocket back up.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure how much she has caught up to him considering he’s the still the best player in the game. And prob has another 2-3 years of near dominant okay left in him.

also, I don’t think people are that sick of LeBron. This is just a totally ho hum series everyone knows was over before they even jumped ball in Game 1. If next years Finals is say Lakers v. Brooklyn and it’s LeBron/AD v. KD/Kyrie I guarantee you those rating will skyrocket back up.

hah

Yes people are sick of LeBron, just read comments on social media, i'd say about half are negative. The young don't know any better.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Raptors winning the championship last season was a welcome change.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hah

Yes people are sick of LeBron, just read comments on social media, i'd say about half are negative. The young don't know any better.

I think older fans are sick of Lebron not the younger demographic. The youngsters are the ones who thinks he's the GOAT.

I know I'm tired of Lebron and superteams. I love the NBA and have enjoyed the playoffs up until the conference finals for both sides because it felt predictable and that something was missing as well. I'm not sure what's missing but I feel the actual crowd being absent has run it's course at this point.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think older fans are sick of Lebron not the younger demographic. The youngsters are the ones who thinks he's the GOAT.

I know I'm tired of Lebron and superteams. I love the NBA and have enjoyed the playoffs up until the conference finals for both sides because it felt predictable and that something was missing as well. I'm not sure what's missing but I feel the actual crowd being absent has run it's course at this point.

I'm tired of the superteams as well. The Raptors figured out a temporary fix last season. That was the exception not the rule.

Next season there will probably be two superteams in the Finals. It may make it easier to watch but repugnant nevertheless.

The build your team through the draft model is not working very well when stars can build a championship team in the market of their choice.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm tired of the superteams as well. The Raptors figured out a temporary fix last season. That was the exception not the rule.

Next season there will probably be two superteams in the Finals. It may make it easier to watch but repugnant nevertheless.

The build your team through the draft model is not working very well when stars can build a championship team in the market of their choice.
It's hard to have that deep of a team building through the draft. Granted salaries may start off smaller, but no one takes discounts like the teams get in the top markets.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose