Kliff said "this is not our standard."

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Well not to defend anyone but Kliff got figured out, this is where Mike Tyson's saying of everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth is so apropo.

This is the NFL the best coaches anticipate adjustments and are at least a move or two ahead we don't seem to have any good ones, that's bad, but kinda predictable, cause I'm not sure we knew we were going to need them, I dunno. I kinda woulda thought a guy coaching football would have known this is coming and have other ways around this stuff but apparently not.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The best advice I could give KK is to watch some tape of Bill Parcells explain when he started winning. He got hired, was struggling then got pissed off and figured it out. Kinda like Conan in that pit where he didn't know how to fight but he learned to keep from getting beaten up. You can't fix the roster this year but I suggest you start figuring out who can play and who can't and adjust accordingly. Also get mad, don't be a nice guy, nice guys get shredded in the NFL, almost no one is really a nice guy that is successful you may want to like your players, I suggest that is over rated. This is just all my opinion.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always questioned K2 since he was hired because I couldn't understand how a HC that couldn't win at the college level was expected to win in the NFL.

Strange that we hired a guy with a losing record.

He did have a dynamic O in college, but this is the pros.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Cardinals "standard" moves Monday morning.

Release a player of no consequence.
Throw a bone to Gambo and Calvisi for cover on radio.
Announce how pissed coaches and players are.

"The Standard"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
This is exactly what will happen. Exactly the same ol cards.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I place this loss squarely on the shoulders of the coaches...Completely unprepared Today. And to think this was the performance AFTER an embarrassing loss...This team has no heart. Time to temper expectations for this season. Why should any of us feel confident they can even beat the Jets next week?

Took the words right put my mouth brother!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Man, this whole board sounds like me right now. We need to come out and stomp the Jets for this season to not just run completely off the rails. I don't know if we're ready to be able to do that. Kliff just doesn't have enough impressive wins under his belt to really even proclaim a "standard."

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ve been willing to give KK some time but he better turn this ship around quickly.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals "standard" moves Monday morning.

Release a player of no consequence.
Throw a bone to Gambo and Calvisi for cover on radio.
Announce how pissed coaches and players are.

"The Standard"

Just like clock work. Cardinals release Curtis Riley.

Has Gambo said why internally they believe this a playoff team yet? That is step 2 in the "standard"

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
We have not developed a standard, Kliff. BB in New ENgland has developed a standard, the Steelers have developed a standard, we have not.

If our standard is to come out and play uninspired, unmotivated football, then a regime change is needed. Every single talking head noticed that Detroit and Carolina came out and looked hungry and motivated. THIS IS ON THE COACHING STAFF. Yeah, a lack of talent in certain areas too, but we are playing down to our opponents, or maybe we are just a bottom-tier team.

Good grief, dude. Give the man a break. He's got his own standards for how he expects the teaam to play. That's all he meant. The way so many of you have jumped ship so quickly after screaming how "Stiff for Kliff" you were when he got hired not too long ago is ridiculous. Maybe he's not the answer, but give him some time to get used to the NFL.Waaaaay to early to be so judgmental. Relax.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Good grief, dude. Give the man a break. He's got his own standards for how he expects the teaam to play. That's all he meant. The way so many of you have jumped ship so quickly after screaming how "Stiff for Kliff" you were when he got hired not too long ago is ridiculous. Maybe he's not the answer, but give him some time to get used to the NFL.Waaaaay to early to be so judgmental. Relax.

ditto .... you guys really do 'blow in the wind'. Relax, this whole 'new' team of ours is going to get their rear ends kicked a few times before they all totally get it. Kyler had a bad game 3, the coaches had a bad game 4. That's is all there is to take from it. The sky isn't falling. We are still a better team on both sides of the ball than previously. We still have a lot to learn and long way to go. Get on board or get off the ship. There are lots of teams who need fans. Try one of those for a few weeks. Then come back to your Cards when you have settled down.

PS. We need a bruising RB1. That is today's standard. It will help the passing game considerably, ala Ravens, Cowboys, and Browns. Drake is a good 3rd down back, but like when in Miami, he can't carry the Team's RB chores by himself. We need a 1-2 punch at RB, like Jim Brown and Bobby Mitchell. Hopefully we can get a stud in next draft (or JB will come out of retirement).

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Since I've been anti-Kliff since day one, I feel I can say this...

But the fact Kliff is on par with Adam Gase right now is not a good look. At what point do we hold the guy responsible for doing what head coaches are supposed to do - win games?

If this wasn't the reeling Lions and the CMC-less Panthers, I think we'd all be a lot less judgemental.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unfortunately what we see is the standard and wishing it away doesn’t change the facts.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I am definitely not jumping ship, I have no reason to not want KK and KM to do well at all, our near future as a franchise depends on it. I will not excuse these last two games, which are completely amateurish.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
Since I've been anti-Kliff since day one, I feel I can say this...

But the fact Kliff is on par with Adam Gase right now is not a good look. At what point do we hold the guy responsible for doing what head coaches are supposed to do - win games?

If this wasn't the reeling Lions and the CMC-less Panthers, I think we'd all be a lot less judgemental.

That's pretty ridiculous. KK is not "on par" with Adam Gase. The Jets are 0-4 with a QB in his third year, and Gase might get fired if the Jets lose Thursday because the team has shown zero progress since he got hired. There's no question the Cards have improved on both sides of the ball.

As for the Lions, they are far from reeling. They are actually a pretty good team. They lost week one to the Bears in the final minute because their rookie RB dropped an easy ball in the end zone that would have won the game. They had a double digit lead on the Packers before they imploded, and they lost to the Saints by six points.

With regard to the Panthers, they are indeed CMC-less, but they are also 2-2, and guess what? Their two wins have come without CMC.

Not sure why you were against KK from the beginning. Was it because he had a losing record at TTU? If so, that's a poor reason. He is an offensive guy, and his offenses always produced. That's why we hired him: to build an offense. Give him time. Most talking-heads who coached or played say that it takes at least three years for a coach to build a roster to fit his scheme, and fully implement his system.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That's pretty ridiculous. KK is not "on par" with Adam Gase. The Jets are 0-4 with a QB in his third year, and Gase might get fired if the Jets lose Thursday because the team has shown zero progress since he got hired. There's no question the Cards have improved on both sides of the ball.

As for the Lions, they are far from reeling. They are actually a pretty good team. They lost week one to the Bears in the final minute because their rookie RB dropped an easy ball in the end zone that would have won the game. They had a double digit lead on the Packers before they imploded, and they lost to the Saints by six points.

With regard to the Panthers, they are indeed CMC-less, but they are also 2-2, and guess what? Their two wins have come without CMC.

Not sure why you were against KK from the beginning. Was it because he had a losing record at TTU? If so, that's a poor reason. He is an offensive guy, and his offenses always produced. That's why we hired him: to build an offense. Give him time. Most talking-heads who coached or played say that it takes at least three years for a coach to build a roster to fit his scheme, and fully implement his system.

Gase: 7-13-0.
Kliff: 7-12-1.

Not much of a difference there. I'll let you feel however you want about those past two teams, but especially at home, we should have beaten the Lions.

Yes, I've been against KK from the beginning. Yes, much of it is because he had a losing record at TTU. In no world do I see a coach who has never shown the ability to win at any level being a smart hire. You shouldn't be hiring guys to "build an offense," you should be hiring them to build a winning team. That's something he hasn't shown the ability to do. Maybe if he had a dynamic NFL offense on a losing team, like Sean McVay, but nah. This is no good.

I don't have any choice but to "be patient," but we also don't have the luxury of building a roster to fit his scheme when we need three CBs next year and the defense is bad. We've already given him a lot and things aren't looking particularly good right now.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not much of a difference there. I'll let you feel however you want about those past two teams, but especially at home, we should have beaten the Lions.

Yes, I've been against KK from the beginning. Yes, much of it is because he had a losing record at TTU. In no world do I see a coach who has never shown the ability to win at any level being a smart hire. You shouldn't be hiring guys to "build an offense," you should be hiring them to build a winning team. That's something he hasn't shown the ability to do. Maybe if he had a dynamic NFL offense on a losing team, like Sean McVay, but nah. This is no good.

I don't have any choice but to "be patient," but we also don't have the luxury of building a roster to fit his scheme when we need three CBs next year and the defense is bad. We've already given him a lot and things aren't looking particularly good right now.
Good Lord, this really illustrates how atrocious Gase is despite having much, much more NFL experience. I already knew he was atrocious, but sheesh.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
ditto .... you guys really do 'blow in the wind'. Relax, this whole 'new' team of ours is going to get their rear ends kicked a few times before they all totally get it. Kyler had a bad game 3, the coaches had a bad game 4. That's is all there is to take from it. The sky isn't falling. We are still a better team on both sides of the ball than previously. We still have a lot to learn and long way to go. Get on board or get off the ship. There are lots of teams who need fans. Try one of those for a few weeks. Then come back to your Cards when you have settled down.

PS. We need a bruising RB1. That is today's standard. It will help the passing game considerably, ala Ravens, Cowboys, and Browns. Drake is a good 3rd down back, but like when in Miami, he can't carry the Team's RB chores by himself. We need a 1-2 punch at RB, like Jim Brown and Bobby Mitchell. Hopefully we can get a stud in next draft (or JB will come out of retirement).
Didn't you say you were jumping ship for the browns a while back? Or am I mistaken?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's clear the offense isn't "finding it's identity" or any of the other platitudes that Kliff has spouted this week. It's clear the problem is Murray.

So which camp are you in? The one where Kliff coddles him and tries to take / share the blame around or the one where he says "The plays were there, the guys were open, Kyler just had a bad game".

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This

A losing record in college and we expect him to revolutionize the game?

He looks over matched so far.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I certainly was never stiff for Kliff, but figured I'd give him a chance. He's had his chance. Give him some time? He's had a season and a quarter, and we aren't seeing results. This is the NFL. You don't get 3, 4 seasons to turn it around these days. You just don't. We're seeing regression, not progression, so why in the hell should we be patient with him?

Sadly, we're seeing the same with our "prodigy" QB, which is doubly concerning. Again, why be patient with KK again?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I certainly was never stiff for Kliff, but figured I'd give him a chance. He's had his chance. Give him some time? He's had a season and a quarter, and we aren't seeing results. This is the NFL. You don't get 3, 4 seasons to turn it around these days. You just don't. We're seeing regression, not progression, so why in the hell should we be patient with him?

Sadly, we're seeing the same with our "prodigy" QB, which is doubly concerning. Again, why be patient with KK again?

Simple. Because there isn't another coach in the league who Kyler could play for. At least not one that would ever come here like Shanahan or McVay.

Can you imagine Kyler playing for an old school NFL coach in a West Coast system with different play calls and verbiage and 80% of the time under center? I can't. Not without at least 2 years of adapting at least and maybe not then.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave