I hate to say it but at this point Kyler just isn’t that good...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was expecting him to pull away I mentioned it earlier but I don't think he didn't because he was checking over his shoulder. he took one look right, saw 26 had an angle so he veered to the left and then took one look left saw 24 was closing so he slid to protect the ball. I expected him to just turn on the jets since it was the first play of the drive but I don't think the looks cost him a TD I think he was trying to see where the defenders were coming from so nobody popped the ball out at the end of the run.

Much more concerned with the passing game than his running

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
being our franchise QB that’s a problem

Agreed. I don't think he's the whole problem I think outside of Hopkins our WR corps is pretty blah, but when guys are open he's got to hit them. Missing Fitz on that first play seemed to kill that drive for us.

Next 2 games the jets and the Cowboys we should be able to put up yards and points, if we can't I'll be much more concerned, both of them appear to be very porous defenses, especially Dallas.

I hope to get to the bye at 4-3 or even better 5-2 but the way we're playing you really can't be confident other than the Jets and frankly right now I'm not confident our defense can stop the Jets. Dallas and Seattle are going to eat our defense alive we will have to outscore them. Seattle's defense by the way has been terrible too

I know we're short handed on D but teams are just throwing underneath or over the middle with ease against us. It's ridiculous how many 3rd and longs did they convert, Detroit seemed to do the same thing. I suspect he's afraid to blitz too much with his top 3 safeties out but the result is the QB's are way too comfortable in the pocket.

If we can get to the bye 4-3 and then get somewhat healthy on defense, and get Kirk healthier I'll feel much better.

I also can't be the only one concerned about Drake, he's nowhere near as fast this year, he's a full yard plus less per carry than last year and that's with Kyler running more, and better this year so teams are concerned with it. I know Maxx Williams out is hurting the run game but I just feel like Drake is slower.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah...Kyler has been bad throwing the ball these past two games, and been merely ok for the entire season. Plenty of examples and it really isn't debatable.

For those who want to blame Kliff's lateral attack...if you have a QB who is struggling to hit intermediate throws, lateral throws to open up that middle of the field is a way to keep on schedule. Kliff didn't call "overthrow a wide open Fitz" or "overthrow Isabella streaking down the sideline". Despite what some on this board think, the QB dictates where the ball goes and the overall success of the play. We run more than one person routes and those other guys tend to run down the field more.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It’s hilarious that people are blaming Kliff for this. Do you think his offense just doesn’t have an answer for 2-deep zone defense?

Kyler can’t complete passes to open receivers right now. That should be obvious right now. Even the TD pass was high.

spent the offseason in the gym instead of the film room.
Not only was the TD pass high, he missed the other TE who had nobody within 10 yards of him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Oh hell no , don’t put me in to defend our 1st overall pick unicorn QB! If he ain’t hurt I’m supporting him, that was my only concern while drafting him, size he has proven Effective and durable, he is a dynamic playmaker. Panther defense was pretty much on our playbook, I say again you can not expect to outperform NFL defenses, when you don’t balance with the run game. About 2 passes to 1 run is not balanced enough. First series 2 run gains bomb for 0 yards on 3rd down! If we make hat pas everybody cheers and team has a skip in their step- but we didn’t now did we? Defense was wore down by a balanced panther offense As we went down 14-0! Had 3 minutes to- 1st 1/4? Live by the pass die by the pass, and the pass is riskier across the board for sacks, turnovers, incompletions, negative plays. If drake is down, don’t know if we have the stable to attempt to balance it up like KK did to actually win some last year. Kyler us fine, like all qbs he needs run support, so does the tired ass defense and oline. The unicorn is not the problem.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Oh hell no , don’t put me in to defend our 1st overall pick unicorn QB! If he ain’t hurt I’m supporting him, that was my only concern while drafting him, size he has proven Effective and durable, he is a dynamic playmaker. Panther defense was pretty much on our playbook, I say again you can not expect to outperform NFL defenses, when you don’t balance with the run game. About 2 passes to 1 run is not balanced enough. First series 2 run gains bomb for 0 yards on 3rd down! If we make hat pas everybody cheers and team has a skip in their step- but we didn’t now did we? Defense was wore down by a balanced panther offense As we went down 14-0! Had 3 minutes to- 1st 1/4? Live by the pass die by the pass, and the pass is riskier across the board for sacks, turnovers, incompletions, negative plays. If drake is down, don’t know if we have the stable to attempt to balance it up like KK did to actually win some last year. Kyler us fine, like all qbs he needs run support, so does the tired ass defense and oline. The unicorn is not the problem.

Welcome back!!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
:yeahthat:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's struggling but that's because this offense is extremely limited by Kliff's play calling. It's super easy to defend against.

Defend outside the hashes in short to intermediate. Linebackers don't have to worry about passes to the middle as Kyler can't see them so use then to plug rushing lanes.

There's simply not enough variety in the passing game. Its plain to see.

If you get up 10+ Kliff's play calling gets even worse and the game is over.

People need to stop defending Kyler by trashing Kliff. They both suck right now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...Kyler has been bad throwing the ball these past two games, and been merely ok for the entire season. Plenty of examples and it really isn't debatable.

For those who want to blame Kliff's lateral attack...if you have a QB who is struggling to hit intermediate throws, lateral throws to open up that middle of the field is a way to keep on schedule. Kliff didn't call "overthrow a wide open Fitz" or "overthrow Isabella streaking down the sideline". Despite what some on this board think, the QB dictates where the ball goes and the overall success of the play. We run more than one person routes and those other guys tend to run down the field more.

That one to Andy was a perfect throw IMO, Andy lost his footing when he tried to track the ball in the air and then dropped it. The ball was right where Andy would have been if he hadn't lost that step.

The one to Fitz was a bad throw for sure

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s hilarious that people are blaming Kliff for this. Do you think his offense just doesn’t have an answer for 2-deep zone defense?

Kyler can’t complete passes to open receivers right now. That should be obvious right now. Even the TD pass was high.

spent the offseason in the gym instead of the film room.

man, I hate this take because there’s too much truth involved.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
You can’t teach height. I still have hope for the youngster but his ability to “see the field” isn’t looking so hot right now. He does have the ability to take off and run like no other QB I have ever seen. But Defenses are taking that option away. He also goes down and slides rather than gain an extra 5 yards. That act might wear old for his teammates. Wishing for the best, but he needed this slice of humble pie

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kyler will be fine. Kliff will be fine. Screw this, if people want to get all hyperbole after two games vs the other tangibles which said we have something here, I don't know what to say. Wait, I do. Take Mason Cole out and start Gaillard who is far superior physically to a guy who is quality depth... oh, fire Vance Joseph now :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That one to Andy was a perfect throw IMO, Andy lost his footing when he tried to track the ball in the air and then dropped it. The ball was right where Andy would have been if he hadn't lost that step.

I will re-watch it. Looked like he did not put enough arc on it so Isabella could run under it to me. Like I said...I will check it out again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anyone else surprised why Kyler did not pull away for the touchdown once defenders were left behind on the 49 yard run?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
He’s fast. He’s not the fastest player in the league. Others might be as fast, or faster than him. Only a small handful of QBs get the yardage he did. I think Lamar takes that to the house, but I don’t know how many other QBs do.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler will be fine. Kliff will be fine. Screw this, if people want to get all hyperbole after two games vs the other tangibles which said we have something here, I don't know what to say. Wait, I do. Take Mason Cole out and start Gaillard who is far superior physically to a guy who is quality depth... oh, fire Vance Joseph now :)
This isn’t hyperbole

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

While generally true, that doesn’t hold water with screens. There’s no progression there. And we call a LOT of those.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Agree on both.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave