I hate to say it but at this point Kyler just isn’t that good...

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russ moves around and out of the pocket far, far more than Kyler does. Specifically to give himself a better view of the field.
Right and he had four strong years of college when he came in the league. Kyler will have growing pains because of his lack of starts. Will his talent and drive overcome that? I think so.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
You said height is the problem and it’s not.
It most definitely is. It affects his ability to see over the line, throwing angles etc. It’s a variable to why he has looked very pedestrian so far. If height wasn’t such a problem, you’d see more little guys as QB in the NFL...and you don’t.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I guess. I mean, he’s really struggling to complete passes and operate the offense right now, so...
Well,

I would want to know what you mean by "operating the offense" here.

His completion percentage is over 75%. His rating was the highest of the year. He's the leading rusher by 40+ yards.

I truly think he is operating the offense "ok". Not awesome, but good.

The offense seems to be a significant problem right now. We have all seen it over an over, made comments about it this year and last, and continue to be puzzled by the amount of -5yd to 0yd completions that Kliff calls.

It's truly puzzling IMO.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said height is the problem and it’s not.

what are you basing that off of? He’s actually shorter then RW in the pic... Russell effortlessly moves around in the pocket to get better views of the field and Kyler panics....

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s not an excuse Considering they brought in a college coach and he’s not running a “pro style” offense... He supposedly did all this to give him his biggest chance for success and put him in his comfort zone… Does that seem to be working?
I am not saying it is working. The Air Raid or whatever variant Kingsbury is running is new and unproven in NFL (I don't count McVeigh's offense in same class as Kingsbury) so the fact that Murray can't master it whether because he can't run it or doesn't want to is not the same situation as Wilson coming in and having immediate success in NFL. I don't understand what people are talking about when they say Wilson was not good his first year in NFL, he had over 3,000 yards passing with 26 TD's and had a 64% completion percentage on nearly 400 passing attempts.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,

His completion percentage is over 75%. His rating was the highest of the year. He's the leading rusher by 40+ yards.

The offense seems to be a significant problem right now. We have all seen it over an over, made comments about it this year and last, and continue to be puzzled by the amount of -5yd to 0yd completions that Kliff calls.

It's truly puzzling IMO.

It’s not hard to have a 74% completion percentage when almost all of your completions are wide receiver screens or dump offs to your running back’s

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It’s not hard to have a 74% completion percentage when almost all of your completions are wide receiver screens or dump offs to your running back’s
Agreed. Would you say that is Kyler not executing, or Kliff calling weak ass one-read plays?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think all of this can be true at the same time. Watching K2 continue to call horizontal plays baffles me.

Combine that with Kyler's "between the hashes" accuracy issues and I'm left searching for answers.

We have to do a better job vertically, past 20 yards, outside of the hashes or deep post routes. All of this dink and dunk crap is just killing us. Kyler cant get into a true rhythm and defenses only need to guard 30% of the field. It's truly baffling.

Combine this with an absolute crap show on defense and we aren't able to generate 1st downs, control the clock, or tire out the pass rush.

I'm very disappointed in our coaching philosophy right now. And think we are playing very soft.

In college they widen the splits so he had an easier time throwing over the middle (+OU's interior was elite for college)

Kyler's not to the point of just throwing all game from shotgun. You have to be a surgeon level QB and he's not there yet.

Kliff needs to star calling more plays from under center. Use Kyler on the move and hopefully running from under center opens up those play action passes with WRs running down field.

ITS HARD to just be in shotgun all the time unless you're Mahomes level playmaking ability and And Reid play calling wizardry.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone else surprised why Kyler did not pull away for the touchdown once defenders were left behind on the 49 yard run?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well,

It's truly puzzling IMO.

He was in the mid20s in DVOA before the Lions game — do you even watch these games? It’s hard for me to believe that you’re actually watching Murray play football right now and think he’s even the same guy he was last year.

to me, he looks like an entirely different player.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Agreed. Would you say that is Kyler not executing, or Kliff calling weak ass one-read plays?
Combination. Kliff has a very tough time calling plays to get KM in rhythm, and KM has been routinely missing open guys and not reading the defense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The interesting thing is, I don’t think he wants to be a running quarterback right now. I think he’s doing it because nothing else is working.
To me, he seemed gassed after running for a handful of plays. Should’ve put streveler on the field or something.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'll pump the brakes for a second, if I can.

NFL QBs that take a huge jump in year two aren't the norm. Let's settle down! In fact, let's consider that Wentz was an MVP candidate in year two, and now he's left for dead.

Guys, Kyler doesn't have to be the greatest of all time for us to succeed. He can simply be pretty damn good. Of course we want this team to be the next dynamic team in the league, but it's unlikely. A tough second year doesn't mean he's left for dead.

Now, I think Kliff sucks, and we'll have a weird go of things, but many of you have embraced the immediate turnaround. We need to build over time.

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
If I didn't know better, I would swear from reading the posts here that Kyler was horrible in the first game this year. And that he didn't connect several times with our new receiver. And I must not have seen Kyler connect with passes to Isabella last week, including one long for a touchdown.

Kyler did have a bad game today but I think he has shown that he can play well. I don't know whether it was coaching, both offensively and defensively, or injuries but the whole team was bad.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yep he’s a master at it... Kyler just panics more often then not
You wanted him to be Russell Wilson in year 2? Maybe we can go back to year two for Russell and see if he had similar struggles throughout the season.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
what are you basing that off of? He’s actually shorter then RW in the pic... Russell effortlessly moves around in the pocket to get better views of the field and Kyler panics....
Going by shoulder length yes, but eye lengths are almost the same, meaning he sees the same as Russ. But apparently KM isn’t mimicking Russ’ game in looking between the seems, throwing on his toes and scrambling for longer for throwing time

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Anyone else surprised why Kyler did not pull away for the touchdown once defenders were left behind on the 49 yard run?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Not at all. Watch the replay, he is constantly checking over his shoulder to avoid contact and get ready to slide. He really should have scored on that play.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It’s hilarious that people are blaming Kliff for this. Do you think his offense just doesn’t have an answer for 2-deep zone defense?

Kyler can’t complete passes to open receivers right now. That should be obvious right now. Even the TD pass was high.

spent the offseason in the gym instead of the film room.
This must be why Kliff attempted to break the single-game record for lateral pass attempts today... [emoji6]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave