Official Camping Thread

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonto Natural Bridge? I believe it has stairways but at one time could have been ladders?

https://azstateparks.com/tonto/
Lol I guess we can call that a waterfall. The time I was there it was more like someone was peeing off the mountain

I mentioned supai because mooney falls has had deaths and had ladders but that is a place you wouldn't forget the name of

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
We camped up on the Mogollon Rim over labor day weekend. Left for home at 6:30am on Monday and didn't hit any traffic! Had the RV back in storage by 10am and had the entire day to goof off.

We'll probably do one more quick weekend trip up north in the next couple weeks and then we're planning a longer trip over fall break in Williams next month. We'll be staying at a KOA and planning a few day trips. Probably Bearizona one day and perhaps the Grand Canyon. There's also a small lake I want to check out that I think you need to hike to. I'll bring my motorcycle to spin around on as well.

Last time we stayed there I listed to the NBA draft at the pool and we drafted Devin Booker, so hopefully it's good luck!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We camped up on the Mogollon Rim over labor day weekend. Left for home at 6:30am on Monday and didn't hit any traffic! Had the RV back in storage by 10am and had the entire day to goof off.

We'll probably do one more quick weekend trip up north in the next couple weeks and then we're planning a longer trip over fall break in Williams next month. We'll be staying at a KOA and planning a few day trips. Probably Bearizona one day and perhaps the Grand Canyon. There's also a small lake I want to check out that I think you need to hike to. I'll bring my motorcycle to spin around on as well.

Last time we stayed there I listed to the NBA draft at the pool and we drafted Devin Booker, so hopefully it's good luck!

Lots of good water around williams in spring when the ice is melting. Sycamore falls gets pretty amazing and the lily ponds off of south road are always fun. There are 4 lakes by williams if you count the reservoirs.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Lots of good water around williams in spring when the ice is melting. Sycamore falls gets pretty amazing and the lily ponds off of south road are always fun. There are 4 lakes by williams if you count the reservoirs.
I've heard of Sycamore Falls. I'll have to research that before I head up north.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of Sycamore Falls. I'll have to research that before I head up north.
It will be cool to see even when dry but in the spring with snowmelt it's a raging waterfall

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Just got back from a week at Lockett Meadow. What a beautiful campground, even with the stark contrast of lush forest with wildfire recovery. The aspens are starting to turn so it's going to be a nice fall color display. Forgot it was at an extremely popular trailhead so it was VERY crowded until Monday when it emptied out.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably camp flagstaff this weekend. Maybe in the cinders, I hear cinders get good data with verizon and I need a location that I can watch the cardinals game at camp at ten. Should be doing that, going fishing all day and then camping on the rim or in flag again to then do a good hike Monday morning before coming back to town.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rang in the new year at sheeps bridge

our campsite in the background:
You must be registered for see images attach

hot spring

disney set campfire with a rising full moon

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I am, but I do long distance cross country trips. Come spring I expect to be out that way. Just bought a new compact tent which includes a shelter for the bike.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I am, but I do long distance cross country trips. Come spring I expect to be out that way. Just bought a new compact tent which includes a shelter for the bike.
sounds pretty dope. Let me know if you'll be in this area of the country and I'll let you know if we're up to some adventures.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Word is much of the Fossil Creek Wilderness has been destroyed by the backbone fire and that creek access will likely be closed indefinitely. So sad. It was a real jewel. Hopefully it can recover with time

We need an all out, multi-faceted conservation and revitalization plan in our forest lands, particularly in areas scarred by man made fires.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word is much of the Fossil Creek Wilderness has been destroyed by the backbone fire and that creek access will likely be closed indefinitely. So sad. It was a real jewel. Hopefully it can recover with time

We need an all out, multi-faceted conservation and revitalization plan in our forest lands, particularly in areas scarred by man made fires.

Yeah, it is beyond tragic - so glad I got to hike down there last fall.

With a Mega Drought potentially upon us, I am afraid much of the state is going to burn. While the Backbone Fire was caused by lightning, most of the fires this year are human-caused.

Problem is the Forest Service, BLM and State Land Management are too underfunded to patrol/educate the vast areas.

But that is more drifting into P&R territory

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the backbone fire man made? Hopefully it does not reach strawberry or sycamore canyon. I already never visited fossil anymore due to overcrowding and permit requirements but it is a shame it will likely be closed moving forward.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the backbone fire man made? Hopefully it does not reach strawberry or sycamore canyon. I already never visited fossil anymore due to overcrowding and permit requirements but it is a shame it will likely be closed moving forward.

Dry lightning was the cause of that one.

Alex and I did the Bob Bear trail last November - no permits needed then, not very crowded.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson