Patrick Peterson. What is the future?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is another concern about the "draft a guy" crowd... we're going to be looking at some players that haven't taken a snap in nearly two years by the time we get to next season.

Yeah it is a concern, but some of these guys are going to come into the NFL after just building their bodies for a year. That might actually help some of them, while others will struggle.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Because not very long ago he was demanding a trade.

People are not too excited about the prospect of paying him big bucks when his performance as of late has been questionable and he is on the downside of his career.
This is so overblown. He had one moment of frustration with the team (understandably because this team was a poo-show under Wilks). He very quickly recanted it just a day or two later. He never came out and flat out demanded a trade like you are making it sound like. It is normal human behavior to say something you don't mean when you are frustrated.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I started this threat specifically about "what is the future"...which a good team would be thinking about. It doesn't matter if you are going to say he now sucks, or incorrectly say he has given up 1 catch....the bottom line is that his contract is up at the end of the season. Anyone that thinks Pat P is going to take less money to stay here, or admit to himself that he is no longer worth top 3 CB money....you are fooling yourselves.

My biggest problems with him are
#1- he has asked to be traded and expressed his desire to leave the Cardinals at least twice....once last year when after being busted for PED's, he was mad at the organization that they wouldn't move his money around to still have him get paid, even though he was suspended for more than 1/3 of the season.

#2- He not only got busted for PED's, he got an additional 2 games for a masking agent...and he really never even acknowledged that. Yea, he gave the standard "i made a mistake"...but clearly wasn't that remorseful because he tried to lie about it and got mad when he actually had to lose money during his suspension.

#3- He very obviously to me has had games over the last couple of years when he isn't playing hard. He has had a couple of games where he is clearly trying...and others where it looks like he thinks he's at a walkthrough. He got burned for what would have been the winning TD against the 49ers...against a no-name WR who would have normally been on the bench...and if Jimmy G's throw doesn't bounce off his helmet we are talking about losing that game because Pat P can't be bothered to play hard for 4 quarters.

#4....and it truly is last on the list...he has lost a step.

So I ask the question again...do we even bother trying to offer him a long term deal? There is a big part of me that feels like we mutually decide to go our separate ways at the end of the season. It worries me that Pat might just give crappy effort the rest of the season, but I would hope him trying to impress potential FA teams might outweigh his desire to coast. If we did not look like a playoff team right now, I would say trade him...and I have been in that camp for a while (I would have traded him to the Eagles for a 1st rounders in a heartbeat)...and that might still be an option...but we are too close to potentially making a playoff run this year to make ourselves worse. When the window opens, you have to go for it the best you can. We are a better defense with him this year than without.

Now, if Pat starts complaining in the media again, or asks to be traded, I would trade him and move on. Otherwise I think I would meet with him and say, we are going to let you hit FA in the offseason....play your butt off, earn a big payday, and maybe take a SB ring with you.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is so overblown. He had one moment of frustration with the team (understandably because this team was a ****-show under Wilks). He very quickly recanted it just a day or two later. He never came out and flat out demanded a trade like you are making it sound like. It is normal human behavior to say something you don't mean when you are frustrated.

That is not true. Before that he flat out called Deon Sanders and told him to start "leaking to the media" that Pat P was unhappy and wanted a trade. There were ever teams mentioned that Pat would like to go too...like the Packers.

Pat and Deon are friends. Deon does not run with that story, and bring it up NUMEROUS TIMES, if he doesn't get the ok from Peterson. When Pat was asked about it, his answer was very non-commital...but he did not say "deon is making this up".

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That is not true. Before that he flat out called Deon Sanders and told him to start "leaking to the media" that Pat P was unhappy and wanted a trade. There were ever teams mentioned that Pat would like to go too...like the Packers.

Pat and Deon are friends. Deon does not run with that story, and bring it up NUMEROUS TIMES, if he doesn't get the ok from Peterson. When Pat was asked about it, his answer was very non-commital...but he did not say "deon is making this up".
That doesn't really line up with him coming out and saying it was a moment of frustration. It would make a lot more sense for him to just deny it.

That being said can anyone really blame him for being frustrated or even wanting out with that regime? It was total crapfest on both sides of the ball. We haven't heard anything since about him wanting out, so it seems like something we can probably let go.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That doesn't really line up with him coming out and saying it was a moment of frustration. It would make a lot more sense for him to just deny it.

That being said can anyone really blame him for being frustrated or even wanting out with that regime? It was total crapfest on both sides of the ball. We haven't heard anything since about him wanting out, so it seems like something we can probably let go.

The incident I was refering to with Deon was the year before I believe....towards the end of 2017 if I remember correctly.

Lets also not forget the "snakes in the grass" comment when the Cards told him they were not going to work the system to get him more money while he was suspended for PED's that he knowingly and purposefully took.

The bottom line is that Pat P has made it clear he would be more than happy to play for another team numerous times. It's not like Fitz where that has never come up.

Our Team Leaders are Fitz for as long as he stays, DHop for the next 5 years, and Kyler hopefully for the next 12+

Pat P could walk this offseason and assuming we find a 1/2 decent replacement, I don't think people would miss him that much.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I started this threat specifically about "what is the future"...which a good team would be thinking about. It doesn't matter if you are going to say he now sucks, or incorrectly say he has given up 1 catch....the bottom line is that his contract is up at the end of the season. Anyone that thinks Pat P is going to take less money to stay here, or admit to himself that he is no longer worth top 3 CB money....you are fooling yourselves.

#1- he has asked to be traded and expressed his desire to leave the Cardinals at least twice....once last year when after being busted for PED's, he was mad at the organization that they wouldn't move his money around to still have him get paid, even though he was suspended for more than 1/3 of the season.

#2- He not only got busted for PED's, he got an additional 2 games for a masking agent...and he really never even acknowledged that. Yea, he gave the standard "i made a mistake"...but clearly wasn't that remorseful because he tried to lie about it and got mad when he actually had to lose money during his suspension.

#3- He very obviously to me has had games over the last couple of years when he isn't playing hard. He has had a couple of games where he is clearly trying...and others where it looks like he thinks he's at a walkthrough. He got burned for what would have been the winning TD against the 49ers...against a no-name WR who would have normally been on the bench...and if Jimmy G's throw doesn't bounce off his helmet we are talking about losing that game because Pat P can't be bothered to play hard for 4 quarters.

So I ask the question again...do we even bother trying to offer him a long term deal? There is a big part of me that feels like we mutually decide to go our separate ways at the end of the season. It worries me that Pat might just give crappy effort the rest of the season, but I would hope him trying to impress potential FA teams might outweigh his desire to coast. If we did not look like a playoff team right now, I would say trade him...and I have been in that camp for a while (I would have traded him to the Eagles for a 1st rounders in a heartbeat)...and that might still be an option...but we are too close to potentially making a playoff run this year to make ourselves worse. When the window opens, you have to go for it the best you can. We are a better defense with him this year than without.

Now, if Pat starts complaining in the media again, or asks to be traded, I would trade him and move on. Otherwise I think I would meet with him and say, we are going to let you hit FA in the offseason....play your butt off, earn a big payday, and maybe take a SB ring with you.

The analysis is fine; the conclusion dubious.

And this problem is a team captain - ergo: leader.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Pat P could walk this offseason and assuming we find a 1/2 decent replacement, I don't think people would miss him that much.
You mention in another post, "what is the future?" and I'm wondering why you don't seem to even be looking at the potential replacements in asking it.

Please, look at the list. Who of these guys do you think is even a 1/2 decent replacement?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/cornerback/

Keep in mind, we need two from this list. That's why the future is pretty apparent to me. You have to at least tag Peterson.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
P2 was garbage on Sunday. He looked asleep. His reactions were slow.

He had his worst PFF grade ever (in the 30s) and if he was playing against a top 10 WR and top 10 QB he would have been toast.

He was poor week 1 vs scrub receivers too.

I think it's clear why he was taking PEDs with a masking agent.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He had his worst PFF grade ever (in the 30s) and if he was playing against a top 10 WR and top 10 QB he would have been toast.

According to PFF, Kyler didn't have much of a day either.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to PFF, Kyler didn't have much of a day either.

You another one of those that only likes PFF when it gives good grades?

QB is a complicated, multi faceted role. CB is much more simple. He was garbage. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Stopped reading right here.

stop letting personal feelings effect your judgement.

oh he was pissed about the team two years ago...did you see this board that year lol.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

did he take your girl?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mention in another post, "what is the future?" and I'm wondering why you don't seem to even be looking at the potential replacements in asking it.

Please, look at the list. Who of these guys do you think is even a 1/2 decent replacement?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/cornerback/

Keep in mind, we need two from this list. That's why the future is pretty apparent to me. You have to at least tag Peterson.

this is the issue. People on this board act like shut down corners grow on trees. Hey find me someone better sure im all for it.

don’t know what you got till it’s gone

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You another one of those that only likes PFF when it gives good grades?

QB is a complicated, multi faceted role. CB is much more simple. He was garbage. Anyone with eyes can see that.
I mean it is a subjective grading. So it is quite possible they do one grade well and another poorly.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Oh get over yourself. I don’t hate the guy, I expect more from him based on how great you say we both know he WAS & what he’s going to be looking for contract wise.

As I said, he’s played well a handful of games over the time I stated, which is roughly a year & a half. Are you denying or arguing that? This isn’t about what he had done, it’s about what he will do or add to the Cardinals going forward. I’m concerned about extending him past next year (franchise tag) as of today. That is based off his production in that year & a half. If he turns it around for 14 more games I’m on board, if not the Cards are fools for breaking the bank for PP imo.

The only reason I brought up Aeneas is because he never loafed & gave 100% EVERY game he played for Big Red. And he played on a lot more poor teams that #21 did. He was a pros pro.

Quit looking at #21 3 years ago, look at his work today!!! Its not been impressive, especially with his effort.
this is what kills me about the Peterson haters.

it’s always run to Aeneas Williams. Just let that sink in. The ONLY comp they have for Peterson in 30 years of Arizona Cardinal football is another Hall Of Famer.

that alone lets you know the level of this dudes play.

Its painfully clear your feelings are in the way. He hurt you deep huh.

when a WR walks in here and just destroys us like Hopkins did to SF then get on here and complain about him.

I’ve said for awhile now. You don’t know what you got till it’s gone.

Buckybird

Reaction score
He hasn’t played like a shutdown CB in the last year & a half. Fact!
this is the issue. People on this board act like shut down corners grow on trees. Hey find me someone better sure im all for it.

don’t know what you got till it’s gone

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is he a shut down corner still?

He’s 30 now and been in the league 10 years of course his best days are behind him.

however like I said find me someone better and it’s all good, but until then he’s still the best CB we got

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He hasn’t played like a shutdown CB in the last year & a half. Fact!

wasn’t he playing pretty damn good at the end of the year last week

looked pretty damn good week 1 to but whatever

only time will tell and yes your like a woman scorned the way you talk. It’s clear me and you will just agree to disagree.

like I said find me someone better who is a realistic option.

the overreaction has always made me laugh when it comes to Peterson. Who’s the dude who used to claim guys on the practice squad were better than him lol

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stopped reading right here.

stop letting personal feelings effect your judgement.

oh he was pissed about the team two years ago...did you see this board that year lol.

So you think a guy is that has asked to be traded twice and called the FO snakes in the grass is going to play under the franchise tag?

Buckybird

Reaction score
:biglaugh:

I get it, hardly anyone agrees with you & yet you won’t allow anyone else their opinion. Lol

I hope he plays well, I’m just thinking the past 1 1/2 years will be the same
wasn’t he playing pretty damn good at the end of the year last week

looked pretty damn good week 1 to but whatever

only time will tell and yes your like a woman scorned the way you talk. It’s clear me and you will just agree to disagree.

like I said find me someone better who is a realistic option.

the overreaction has always made me laugh when it comes to Peterson. Who’s the dude who used to claim guys on the practice squad were better than him lol

Last edited: