What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This was always the biggest concern with drafting Simmons. Vanilla Vance Joseph wouldn't be creative enough to know how to optimally utilize his skill set.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you don't get it, you don't get it.

25 snaps on the year over two games. 6'4 238 4.3 40 and Vanilla Vance isn't creative enough to find a place or role for him on the field.
yeah I guess I dont get it and will wait till later in the season to pass judgement.

I'm not going to do the research but there are hundreds of 1st round prospects that played less than 25 snaps the first two games and went on to have a careers of 10+ years. HUNDREDS.

Last edited:

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
bottom video is dishonest. Mesh route that simmons had to duck around - its not just simmons getting burned. check his pad level in comparison to the receiver as TE 82 sets a pick. happens to every linebacker when a good route combo is put together.

you're clearly entitled to an opinon but you guys are using absolutist lingo and 100% conviction after 2 WEEKS OF FOOTBALL. My opinion is that forming one this early on Simmons is not smart.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
bottom video is dishonest. Mesh route that simmons had to duck around - check his pad level in comparison to the receiver as TE 82 sets a pick. happens to every linebacker when a good route combo is put together.

you're clearly entitled to an opinon but you guys are using absolutist lingo and 100% conviction after 2 WEEKS OF FOOTBALL. My opinion is that forming one this early on Simmons is not smart.
The opinion is not about Simmons, that is what you do not get. The opinion is about the Cardinals draft approach and the lack of creativity from our DC

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The opinion is not about Simmons, that is what you do not get. The opinion is about the Cardinals draft approach and the lack of creativity from our DC
I can read. you said its 100% the fault of coach and gm.

It is not 100% on the coach and gm. I'd say its 45% on Simmons being a rookie and 45%% on COVID, no preseason, and the fact that its freaking September 23rd.

maybe 10% is on the coach/gm. but hey, in this absolutist world I get why you're firing off takes with 100% conviction in week 2. sign of the times.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
bottom video is dishonest. Mesh route that simmons had to duck around - its not just simmons getting burned. check his pad level in comparison to the receiver as TE 82 sets a pick. happens to every linebacker when a good route combo is put together.

I dont blame Simmons at all actually.

Other top rookies are struggling too tbh. Although on their end I guess its good they are getting a lot of snaps to play through it/get better.

We're just counting on Vance to know what he's doing in terms of development. We'll see how it goes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Simmons is the guy rushing that gets put on his butt, not the guy in coverage.

With that said I agree with you everyone calling him a bust already is insane.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can read. you said its 100% the fault of coach and gm.

It is not 100% on the coach and gm. I'd say its 45% on Simmons being a rookie and 45%% on COVID, no preseason, and the fact that its freaking September 23rd.

maybe 10% is on the coach/gm. but hey, in this absolutist world I get why you're firing off takes with 100% conviction in week 2. sign of the times.
Again..these are the same arguments that have been posted on this board for years when it comes to the organization botching the draft or the implementation of those players drafted. If this was the first occurrence, I would find your arguement more valid.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Simmons is the guy rushing that gets put on his butt, not the guy in coverage.

With that said I agree with you everyone calling him a bust already is insane.
One dude with like 30 posts is...hardly qualifies as "everyone" or even makes it a discussion point.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just have this feeling that Campbell has been so much better than they anticipated, and it's keeping Simmons on the bench inadvertently. So - let him sit and learn and not rush him in.
I don’t think they underestimated Campbell. If you recall they said he was their number 1 offseason target.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again, why did we draft Simmons for a role that DeVondre Campbell can fill so well it keeps Simmons on the bench?

Also, how do we not figure that our "#1 target in free agency" may actually be a good player and then use the #8 pick on a guy to fill that same role?

Furthermore, once we accepted both of these things, how is there not something on our defense that 6'4 238 4.3 40 can do better than Reddick, Vallejo, and Fitts? We were sold all offseason how Simmons was the game changer we needed...and apparently all we needed was a castoff from a bad Falcons defense and an upgraded defensive line.

You all are really reaching for excuses here.
I think Simmons was chosen as a BPA that surprisingly fell into their lap. The fact that he was versatile was a plus due to the roster construction at the time. I think there are two issues at work at present (and I do t know which is the primer driver of what we are (and are not) seeing):

1. a D coordinator not creative enough to utilize Simmons in unorthodox ways that maximize his strengths; and

2. maybe a slow learning curve for Simmons

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don’t think they underestimated Campbell. If you recall they said he was their number 1 offseason target.
Agreed. I love the revisionist history of some these arguments. I wish people could recognize that it is ok to praise Keim's drafting of Lawrence in round 4 and Vance's willingness to play him AND criticize Keim's and Vance's lack of a plan for drafting Simmons in round 1 all while being happy the team is 2-0.

All of those things can exist in the same universe.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think Simmons was chosen as a BPA that surprisingly fell into their lap. The fact that he was versatile was a plus due to the roster construction at the time. I think there are two issues at work at present (and I do t know which is the primer driver of what we are (and are not) seeing):

1. a D coordinator not creative enough to utilize Simmons in unorthodox ways that maximize his strengths; and

2. maybe a slow learning curve for Simmons
Agree with this hypothesis. Simmons is struggling because he was an out of the box player who is now being put into a box by a DC who lacks creativity. This will also likely limit the overall impact Simmons will be able to have in the near future.

If you ask Brian Urlacher to do play a Zach Thomas role, you are wasting the things that make Urlacher special.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So Simmons might need to bulk up a bit or study the wingspan of these linemen before trying that shiver and swipe move again. Welcome to the league.
I'm curious what Vance told him to do this past summer.

You shape your body to what you're expecting to do on the football field.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree with this hypothesis. Simmons is struggling because he was an out of the box player who is now being put into a box by a DC who lacks creativity. This will also likely limit the overall impact Simmons will be able to have in the near future.

If you ask Brian Urlacher to do play a Zach Thomas role, you are wasting the things that make Urlacher special.
I know there were other posters on this board who were skeptical as to whether Joseph would be able to fit Simmons' talents into his scheme. But Simmons usually was one of the best athletes on the field in college, college stars usually have trouble at first adjusting to the speed and talent level in the NFL. In time hopefully he picks everything up, if not maybe Joseph's scheme isn't a fit for the defensive roster we have. He was given better pieces this year, we currently are 8th ranked scoring defense but with SEA & LAR in division as well as games against BUF & DAL, that ranking will be tested.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA