Return of the Air Raid

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last year Kliff impressed by moving from a record percentage of 10 personnel sets (4 receivers) in the early weeks to heavy doses of 12 personnel (2 Tight Ends) and more traditional smash mouth NFL football. OL Coach Kugler recommended running more and Max Williams is the best blocking TE per PFF.

This year, the combination of Max's ankle injury and having a complete WR group leads me to believe we get back to the record percentage of 10 personnel sets. was cool to see Kliff check his ego and adjust but I'm curious to see his preferred offense.

Lets smash those Niners with "pretty boy football." I'm personally not worried about our likely transition away from 12 personnel sets. Anyone concerned?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea, I’d be pretty damn concerned going back to super heavy 10 personnel sets like we did early in the season last year.

Kliff knew it was starting to become very predictable so why go back to it? Maxx was a full go on the injury report so he’s playing anyway.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yea, I’d be pretty damn concerned going back to super heavy 10 personnel sets like we did early in the season last year.

Kliff knew it was starting to become very predictable so why go back to it? Maxx was a full go on the injury report so he’s playing anyway.

Kliff has a known commodity in his 12 personnel sets. I guess I am a bit concerned about deviation from the tried and true - our running game was so dam good last year.

However, Kliff has to be curious right? lets run those WRs out there and see what we've got. Obviously Hopkins changes everything but I guess I should've included that Im super bullish on Isabella and he's the key that unlocks the 4 WR sets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We have to mix it up. We can have two Te sets with Arnold basically being a wr.

I like sets that still show an option to run.
nothing about 4 wrs limits your ability to run IF the defense respects your receivers.

last year the NFL had no respect for our receivers (rightfully so) and would leave defenders in the box. If we have 4 respectable receivers then the box will be empty and we can run with ease, in theory.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing about 4 wrs limits your ability to run IF the defense respects your receivers.

last year the NFL had no respect for our receivers (rightfully so) and would leave defenders in the box. If we have 4 respectable receivers then the box will be empty and we can run with ease, in theory.
I agree. I should have said empty backfield sets. I can even go along with that as long as we shift into releasing 5 receivers.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I can see 10 personnel in 2 min offense but would rather stick with 11 & 12 the majority of the time.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We basically added only one piece to the offense as far as a play maker which of course is Hopkins, granted a nice piece, but other than that, it's the same WR group or worse with Larry older, and no Byrd or Cooper to depend on (who both remarkably were very dependable). Of course one expects rookies to progress, Kirk to be available fully but just adding Hopkins does not all of sudden give us this all world group to run a 'air raid' offense with impunity. I also think Kliff realized that running 10 personnel is not that efficient against NFL defenses. I think we will see some of that but this offense was humming later in the year and we basically have that same run capability and therefore expect to see Kliff adding innovations to what works

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We basically added only one piece to the offense as far as a play maker which of course is Hopkins, granted a nice piece, but other than that, it's the same WR group or worse with Larry older, and no Byrd or Cooper to depend on (who both remarkably were very dependable). Of course one expects rookies to progress, Kirk to be available fully but just adding Hopkins does not all of sudden give us this all world group to run a 'air raid' offense with impunity. I also think Kliff realized that running 10 personnel is not that efficient against NFL defenses. I think we will see some of that but this offense was humming later in the year and we basically have that same run capability and therefore expect to see Kliff adding innovations to what works
We have a top 5 WR room in the league, more or less. There's not ever going to a situation where we run 5 deep with guys that could be #1s on other teams.

If 10 personnel is going to work on a frequent basis, this is probably as fine as a chance at it as Kliff or any coach will ever get.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We have a top 5 WR room in the league, more or less. There's not ever going to a situation where we run 5 deep with guys that could be #1s on other teams.

If 10 personnel is going to work on a frequent basis, this is probably as fine as a chance at it as Kliff or any coach will ever get.
Right?! Now is the time to test it... If it doesnt work well then fall back to 12 personnel

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well Rex Ryan still hates the Cardinals offense. Same old Rex.

He basically blamed the offense for the defense being so bad last year. I doubt that he watched a single Cardinals game.

These old guys have lost touch a bit. Plenty of good defenses have explosive offenses that don't focus on ball control.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
bumping this thread since Max Williams was recently placed on IR. I have to admit I miss our running efficiency from the RB position. QB running efficiently this year but RBs are lacking and I think Max is a big reason why.

Anybody have comprehensive data on our offensive formation usage so far? Maybe I should sign up for the all 22 videos

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bumping this thread since Max Williams was recently placed on IR. I have to admit I miss our running efficiency from the RB position. QB running efficiently this year but RBs are lacking and I think Max is a big reason why.

Anybody have comprehensive data on our offensive formation usage so far? Maybe I should sign up for the all 22 videos
Doesn’t help we started off against the two top 5 front 4s in football.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We have used 11 personnel significantly. I expect that will continue and be our "base". 12 or 10 sets will likely be used based upon matchups that we like.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Pat Kirwan from Sirius has our receiving group (including TE's) as the 3rd best overall. Since our TE's aren't great shakes that speaks to how much he loves Dhop, Fitz and Kirk.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA