A deeper look into the defense. Yes it has been only two games but still....

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Through two games, it has exceeded those ambitions.

The Cardinals are ranked No. 8 in Football Outsiders’ defensive efficiency following the 2-0 start and are allowing only 17.5 points per game, which is the second-lowest figure in the NFL behind the Ravens.

The group has been dominant situationally, first in the league in both third-down (26.1 percent conversation rate) and red zone defense (28.6 percent touchdown rate).

As coach Kliff Kingsbury said after Sunday's 30-15 win over Washington, it's been a “night and day” improvement from a season ago.
https://www.azcardinals.com/news/cardinals-defense-shining-early

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
They are playing very well overall. Keim and the organization really did a nice job in free agency.
Thank You Atlanta

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did play a hobbled and injured SF team and a terrible WFT offense. I'll be more curious of our ratings at the bye.

The secondary has seemed to have a lot of mistakes and benefited by not being against good air teams. I have concerns about how they will perform against the lions this week.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We did play a hobbled and injured SF team and a terrible WFT offense. I'll be more curious of our ratings at the bye.

The secondary has seemed to have a lot of mistakes and benefited by not being against good air teams. I have concerns about how they will perform against the lions this week.

SF had a ton of injuries in week 2 but when we played them they were pretty much 100%.

Come on man

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF had a ton of injuries in week 2 but when we played them they were pretty much 100%.

Come on man

Their top two WR were out of the game. They had no one to throw to besides Kittle. If you want to crown them, go ahead and crown them but I will wait until we play against a real offense that actually has playmakers and a QB that isnt purely mediocre. Stafford is not a winner but he can fling the ball.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Their top two WR were out of the game. They had no one to throw to besides Kittle. If you want to crown them, go ahead and crown them but I will wait until we play against a real offense that actually has playmakers and a QB that isnt purely mediocre. Stafford is not a winner but he can fling the ball.

there top two WR are still option 2-4 on that team.

that’s all they throw to is Kittle anyway. You stop him you stop them.

and yes Jimmy G is horrible

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there top two WR are still option 2-4 on that team.

that’s all they throw to is Kittle anyway. You stop him you stop them.

and yes Jimmy G is horrible

yeah

so, I'm waiting for a real offense before I start judging the D. I like what they have done so far but I do not feel they have been challenge by anyone above average yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

This is assuming that Aiyuk is any good at the NFL level right now.

The Niners had a poo plan to go into the year entrusting the wide receiver position to a 1st and 2nd year players. Letting Sanders go and not at least bringing in a solid veteran to steady the group.

Offenses aren't built on one or two players. The still have Juscyzk, Mostert, and Reed. It's one of the design flaws of their roster and it is haunting them right now.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is assuming that Aiyuk is any good at the NFL level right now.

The Niners had a **** plan to go into the year entrusting the wide receiver position to a 1st and 2nd year players. Letting Sanders go and not at least bringing in a solid veteran to steady the group.

Offenses aren't built on one or two players. The still have Juscyzk, Mostert, and Reed. It's one of the design flaws of their roster and it is haunting them right now.
I agree, but really, if their starters are marginal, their backup WRs are even worse so regardless of which way we slice it, we have not faced a real challenge at QB/WR yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree, but really, if their starters are marginal, their backup WRs are even worse so regardless of which way we slice it, we have not faced a real challenge at QB/WR yet.

I actually think Kendrick Bourne is a pretty decent receiver. Not starting quality, but a good 3/4. We don't even know if Aiyuk is that good.

I'm a fan of Deebo and he was one of the guys I wanted in round 2 last year, but the Deebo love is not quite warranted. He showed he belonged and made some nice plays, but he hasn't shown that he is a true #2 receiver.

I think with the design of Shanahan's offense, the receivers aren't as important.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SF is going to regret not taking Lamb, IMO.

Real talk, ARZ would not be #8 ranked D if we played an offense with a QB like Rodgers, Brees or Wilson the first two weeks.
If it’s the Brees that has been playing like he has the first two weeks of the season, we probably would have honestly.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s be real. Our offense is going to to outscore our opponents in a few games this year. Games like 35-31, 31-28 are coming.

Ww are much better than last year but I’m not ready to call them elite. I would say more like top 12.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Come on man

No they weren't.

Their top 2 wr's were out, and Kittle was out over half the game.

Their passing offense is a shadow of what it will be.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm happy so far but understand that the next 14 weeks will tell the story.

We can't ignore a hobbled SF passing offense and then an inept WFT offense were our first two opponents.

Detroit will have a full suite of weapons and I am very interested in how this game turns out. Golladay is backnow, along with Marvin Jones and TJ Hockenson. They pose major threats to our secondary that they have not seen yet. And they have a full backfield to test us.

Final observation.... when our secondary was tested on Sunday.... I didn't really like what I saw.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kinlaw is going to be a monster though. He'll be the best DT from this class.
He is actually
But is what I said prior the draft, Kinlaw with his athletic abilites has more chance to succeed then derrick brown
Obviously the 90% of the people here didbt think the same, and they said about how much Kinlaw wasn't worth to be drafted so high

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He is actually
But is what I said prior the draft, Kinlaw with his athletic abilites has more chance to succeed then derrick brown
Obviously the 90% of the people here didbt think the same, and they said about how much Kinlaw wasn't worth to be drafted so high

I remember seeing an article that did a deep dive on DL that were good and ones that bust. One of the common reasons that DL bust, were the lack of elite measureables. When I look at Derrick Brown, I see a good college DL, that looks a bit chubby and soft in the middle. He tested pretty poorly at the combine. When I look at Kinlaw, I see a massive man who is STACKED. He's a much better athlete compared to Brown.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I really like the way the defense is playing. If the Cards' offense continues with multiple 6+ minute drives, it really allows the Defense to go all out.

So far a great effort from all 3 levels on defense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No they weren't.

Their top 2 wr's were out, and Kittle was out over half the game.

Their passing offense is a shadow of what it will be.

we’ve already gone over it in this thread.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Let's give the D some credit...they have played significantly better than last year vs similar opponents.

However, we really haven't played a dangerous offense yet. Both teams were 1 dimensional IMO. SF could run but not pass (no WR's and Kittle injured in 2nd half). Washington could throw it (decent talent but no real weapons) but had no running game.

Detroit will be the most complete offense we have faced so far and the next real test won't be until week 6 (Dallas).

The D is improved and playing good situational football but I am not buying them as being dominant yet.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lots of good defensive players making an impact early. Okudah played this week. Brown and Kinlaw are doing well. Chase Young already a difference maker. CJ Henderson is two games and already has breakups and a pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of good defensive players making an impact early. Okudah played this week. Brown and Kinlaw are doing well. Chase Young already a difference maker. CJ Henderson is two games and already has breakups and a pick.
Okudah played horrible.

Derrick Brown has not been doing well. He has been underwhelming if anything.

Agree with Kinlaw, Young, & Henderson.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Okudah played horrible.

Derrick Brown has not been doing well. He has been underwhelming if anything.

Agree with Kinlaw, Young, & Henderson.
Brown has been play 65%+ of defensive snaps, has two passes batted down and a tfl. That's fine.

Okudah was on the field which is a start. Green Bay is not the easiest team to have your first game against. Can't grown and get better if he is not on the field. You have to think that 66% comp % will get better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave