Patrick Peterson. What is the future?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PP21 lost a step and didn't account for it yet, after two games he gots burned on fast WR and we will know what PP21 is, after week 7, but now it is really to early in the season, he had a rough start but isn't totally bad yet, for now we don't have a better #1 CB.
He’s pretty bad

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a lost cause. People have no idea what there watching out there. Here’s a guy who’s given up 1 catch over 2 NFL games and people are saying he’s someone’s “bitch” now.

are you serious?

They bring personal feeling into it. Uuuuuh PED’s. Ok Someone made a mistake, you gonna let that go and move on or you gonna keep bringing it every chance you get. Kinda like a scorned girlfriend, well remember when you did that one thing!!

GET OVER IT.

1 catch 2 Games. That’s how freakishly good he’s been and how spoiled these guys are now that giving up 1 catch means he sucks.
Exactly, I see folks crediting the d line for putting pressure on qbs which is true, but very often the top read was already covered by peterson which is why the line has more time.

This defensive group is working. The off season aditions addressed glaring holes. Enjoy it folks!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Factually inaccurate. Just because somebody wrote it on a message board doesn't make it true.

He gave up 4 completions on 6 targets for 66 yards and 1TD yesterday alone.

He was our lowest graded defender at 36.7.

The top two posts followed by the third couldn’t be any funnier… Like seriously Rolling

:biglaugh:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he gets beat by a W/O who simply blows by him, I'm concerned.

However, if the W/O cuts across the field with PP21 trailing then he (and every other CB) requires help from the Nickel or a Safety.

The CARDS "D" at 57.7% is #2 in pass completion percentage (Pittsburgh #1 - 56.3)

A number of our sacks have obviously been of the coverage variety and by extension PP21 and others have been doing their job.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Failing at your job 4 out of every 6 attempts is only good in baseball.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Failing at your job 4 out of every 6 attempts is only good in baseball.
That doesn't account for the times when the ball doesn't even come his way because he's got the receiver on lockdown. I'm not necessarily saying that's the case, but Haskins had 33 attempts. so under 20% of passes went in Peterson's direction.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That doesn't account for the times when the ball doesn't even come his way because he's got the receiver on lockdown. I'm not necessarily saying that's the case, but Haskins had 33 attempts. so under 20% of passes went in Peterson's direction.
Did you see your guy Rivera just downright quit at the end of the game?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
My take is yo monitor his play and in the meantime send out feelers on the subject of a trade. Also watch how the other CBs are playing and compare their play to PP. If you feel there is not much difference in the level of play between PP and another CB then pull the trigger and trade him. Be smart like Belichick. PP is going to want top dollar in his next contract and I think we can all agree he's not going to give a hometown discount.

Going into the next off season you now would have cap space to sign a FA or draft a CB if you end up trading PP. Let it play out and see how the apples fall.

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
He has lost a step or two and seems to have lost his ability to fully contest receivers and get his hands on the ball, McLaurin ran by him several times on deep crossing routes and PP seemed disinterested with the big lead.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Go over to PFF and check out Kyler's grades.

You may then pay a little less attention to these subjective statistical snapshots.

On Reddit they said our highest rated players from PFF were Reddick and Isabella.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My take is yo monitor his play and in the meantime send out feelers on the subject of a trade. Also watch how the other CBs are playing and compare their play to PP. If you feel there is not much difference in the level of play between PP and another CB then pull the trigger and trade him. Be smart like Belichick. PP is going to want top dollar in his next contract and I think we can all agree he's not going to give a hometown discount.

Going into the next off season you now would have cap space to sign a FA or draft a CB if you end up trading PP. Let it play out and see how the apples fall.
Well, this will probably be something I keep bringing up in any PP21 related thread for the rest of the season/offseason, but the free agent list is pretty trash... and we're going to need two.

Leaving that position open until the draft really paints us into a corner (pun not intended) too.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, I agree that Belichek is smart but pinching gave us Chandler J. and he has since decided to pay top dollar to a CB - Gilmour.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has lost a step or two and seems to have lost his ability to fully contest receivers and get his hands on the ball, McLaurin ran by him several times on deep crossing routes and PP seemed disinterested with the big lead.

McLaurin ran a 4.35 at the Combine in 2019 and no one can cover that pattern without help.

P.S. Disinterested and uninterested are not synonymous.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah that route would be hard for ANY CB to cover. McLaurin looked stupid fast.
If you aren't having Peterson press (which should be his decision but I wouldn't be shocked if Vance dictated it), you are almost conceding the slant route and it is up to the interior defenders to limit the play.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you aren't having Peterson press (which should be his decision but I wouldn't be shocked if Vance dictated it), you are almost conceding the slant route and it is up to the interior defenders to limit the play.

pretty much

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
His tackling ain’t good but I think it’s more about want to than ability
Worst case he can hang on to a guy until help comes. but he has experience... instincts.... ball skills... and the desire to be a hall of famer
He has a limited future in the NFL as a corner but can pad his legacy for several more years as a safety.... that may motivate him to take tackling seriously

I agree his ball skills would be a lot of fun to watch in that position, but the idea of him being the last line of defense scares the crap out of me. He would have to do a complete 180 when it comes to his tackling mentality. He's looked disinterested in that part of his game since about 2013. He's also never struck me as a guy who is good at diagnosing opposing offenses and using his head. Think he's at his best when he's playing bump and run and shadowing guys

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not sure if he's elite anymore? He is our best CB & has to cover the other teams best WR. That being said, the other teams #1 WR with 4.3 speed, can he cover them like in the past? If Sunday is a preview of things to come then the answer is "no". He gave #17 on Washington way too much cushion because of his 4.3 speed. That allowed for all those quick slants. Haskins isn't an elite passer, we'll have to wait & see when he faces an elite passer & has to cover a #1 WR with speed. Let's say we make the playoffs (we will) & he has to face Michael Thomas with Drew Brees throwing the football, if he gives Thomas that much cushion he will eat him alive. Yes he's our best CB but I think he's declined & can't cover WR's with speed like he did in his prime. That's my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong? His performance the rest of the season will determine his future as a Cardinal is about the only way to look at it imo.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We’ll see this week if he’s interested vs Golladay. Peterson has never really had good games vs fast, shifty, undersized WRs. He’s always matched up vs tall, big body possession receivers that he can get his hands on and be physical without worrying they’ll blow by him because he’s had to speed to catch up.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if he's elite anymore? He is our best CB & has to cover the other teams best WR. That being said, the other teams #1 WR with 4.3 speed, can he cover them like in the past? If Sunday is a preview of things to come then the answer is "no". He gave #17 on Washington way too much cushion because of his 4.3 speed. That allowed for all those quick slants. Haskins isn't an elite passer, we'll have to wait & see when he faces an elite passer & has to cover a #1 WR with speed. Let's say we make the playoffs (we will) & he has to face Michael Thomas with Drew Brees throwing the football, if he gives Thomas that much cushion he will eat him alive. Yes he's our best CB but I think he's declined & can't cover WR's with speed like he did in his prime. That's my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong? His performance the rest of the season will determine his future as a Cardinal is about the only way to look at it imo.

Michael Thomas is not a speed receiver.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Factually inaccurate. Just because somebody wrote it on a message board doesn't make it true.

He gave up 4 completions on 6 targets for 66 yards and 1TD yesterday alone.

He was our lowest graded defender at 36.7.
I was wrong on the number of catches. Rewatched the game today. He was covering McLaurin on 37 pass attempts. Of the 37 passes, 7 went to McLaurin and 4 were caught.
1. Playing a bit off coverage. Quick slant ~8 yard catch. No help in middle of the field.
2. Defense playing soft to run our the first half with 39 seconds. Another quick slant. 8 yard reception. What looked like man I think was actually zone and Murphys territory.
3. 7 yard slant and stumbled forward a few more. This one was all on peterson.
4. Short slant towards middle of the field. Looks like peterson was staying on top. Before the ball was snapped Hicks ran up to fake blitz, left the middle of the field wide open, unfortunately thats exactly where McLaurin was headed. Baker took a bad angle and touchdown.

Other notable plays. McLaurin got behind peterson but pass didn't go that way. Also, peterson had great coverage on the play Reddick got the sack. Qb never took his eyes off McLaurin. Coverage sack.

Read into it however you want but thats my unprofessional analysis. The only catches he gave up were quick slants. 1 looked to be zone which could have gone against Murphy. 1 had no help in the middle of the field. 1 McLaurin just made a good play. And finally hicks was out of position or it would have been a 5 yard gain.

After giving up zero catches in week 1 and only giving up a couple quick slant in week 2, id say he's off to a good start.

Would some of you guys prefer he was like sherman and covered opposing teams no2 and no3 wrs? I mean Hopkins had 15 freaking catches vs the 9ers. Where was sherman? Peterson is a special talent and HOF player and it looks like he's still got it to me. Lot of games left to play, but he's done his job.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bottom line is All I can go by from PP is that he’s had a handful (maybe 4-5) games out of his last 12 he’s played like the “superstar” you make him out of be.

Whether it’s because of off the field issues, contract or whatever the reason #21 hasn’t been great. Imo he’s been slightly above average thru the time period of his last 12 games. In 2018 he was the same imo. That defense was atrocious & he was part of it.

Imo Pat is in his prime at 30 so I expect more, especially if he’s a great player. I expect more effort, I expect more production & I expect more positive results from him!!! At this point, there’s no way I’m signing him to a long term extension. I want to see him play better & earn what he wants. And no, I still don’t buy he’s “all in” with the Cardinals organization as of today.

Didn’t we hear from him this offseason, your going to get my best season yet? Didn’t I hear that last year too? I’m still waiting...Show me PP!!!

I would take Aeneas over him all day, everyday & not think twice about it!!!
I was wrong on the number of catches. Rewatched the game today. He was covering McLaurin on 37 pass attempts. Of the 37 passes, 7 went to McLaurin and 4 were caught.
1. Playing a bit off coverage. Quick slant ~8 yard catch. No help in middle of the field.
2. Defense playing soft to run our the first half with 39 seconds. Another quick slant. 8 yard reception. What looked like man I think was actually zone and Murphys territory.
3. 7 yard slant and stumbled forward a few more. This one was all on peterson.
4. Short slant towards middle of the field. Looks like peterson was staying on top. Before the ball was snapped Hicks ran up to fake blitz, left the middle of the field wide open, unfortunately thats exactly where McLaurin was headed. Baker took a bad angle and touchdown.

Other notable plays. McLaurin got behind peterson but pass didn't go that way. Also, peterson had great coverage on the play Reddick got the sack. Qb never took his eyes off McLaurin. Coverage sack.

Read into it however you want but thats my unprofessional analysis. The only catches he gave up were quick slants. 1 looked to be zone which could have gone against Murphy. 1 had no help in the middle of the field. 1 McLaurin just made a good play. And finally hicks was out of position or it would have been a 5 yard gain.

After giving up zero catches in week 1 and only giving up a couple quick slant in week 2, id say he's off to a good start.

Would some of you guys prefer he was like sherman and covered opposing teams no2 and no3 wrs? I mean Hopkins had 15 freaking catches vs the 9ers. Where was sherman? Peterson is a special talent and HOF player and it looks like he's still got it to me. Lot of games left to play, but he's done his job.

Last edited: