What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he’s playing deep then he absolutely has to have great twitch.
It's something physical specimens like him can get around imo.. but yeah, it would be a project.. this is more about it being absolutely needed if free safety stays a concern.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Isn't it a good problem to have? I mean our D is playing well enough that a rookie can't crack the starting line up. It used to be such a problem that we were relying on third round rookies to start. Color me not worried, and I look at it as a positive for now. Now with all that said if he is not playing more by mid season or so then we'll talk.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Isn't it a good problem to have? I mean our D is playing well enough that a rookie can't crack the starting line up. It used to be such a problem that we were relying on third round rookies to start. Color me not worried, and I look at it as a positive for now. Now with all that said if he is not playing more by mid season or so then we'll talk.
I don't think it is ever a good thing when your top 10 pick can't hardly touch the field. Don't care how it is spun.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well, whatever the plan was for Simmons, it obviously has not worked. He has had a net negative impact through two games. Again, this doesn't mean he can't eventually get it, but we all know the look of a project that has gone sideways.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In a "normal year" I would agree with you, but this year things are a bit peculiar.
There are plenty of examples of similar first round guys playing and contributing this year so I feel that argument is invalid. My issue is the Cardinals said they had a plan when they drafted him, it was obviously not been a very good one.

It also doesn't help that we have a terrible history when drafting project players high.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are plenty of examples of similar first round guys playing and contributing this year so I feel that argument is invalid. My issue is the Cardinals said they had a plan when they drafted him, it was obviously not been a very good one.

It also doesn't help that we have a terrible history when drafting project players high.
I agree with if you if they’re not OL/DL which requires less processing skills.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Campbell's play has got to be changing the plan for Simmons...and if it's not we are wasting an opportunity. Campbell is 27 years old, and should be able to be exactly what we need next to Hicks.

We have Budda locked up. Simmons would be an ideal safety...and should absolultley be able to beat out somone like Banjo. We like what we saw from Thompson at the end of last year, but its still an area that could use an upgrade.

Put Simmons at SS. Lets him use that size and speed to fly around and make plays.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

That was totally not my point, maybe I didn't explain it well enough. My point was I choose to look at it as a positive that we don't need to put a rookie in because the man in front of him is playing well. No need to rush the kid and ruin his confidence, because we don't have to.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I didn't "seriously" want the Ravens to cut Ed Reed, either. But i went off on the guy for making a terrible and highly visible play early in his rookie season.

Plenty of posts here are arguing that he's not going to make it as an NFL linebacker.

Both are examples of a highly touted rookie defender making a bad play and having people, seriously or not, questioning whether he belongs in the NFL or at least at his position, whether it be because of bad instincts for the position / less skill than advertised / failure to realize how fast NFL players are, or bad judgement / attitude / failure to realize how fast and tenacious NFL players are.

Several people liked my story so i think they understood how this thread's overreaction to Simmons' conspicuous bad play reminded me of my overreaction to Reed's conspicuous bad play.

If you still don't get it and feel the need to keep quibbling with it, I can only assume you're being deliberately obtuse.

...dbs
It’s still a bad analogy. No one ever questioned reed’s ability in the nfl as a result of what you are discussing.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Or, they abandoned ship on that plan. His snap count dropped precipitously after the long TD last week. Perhaps they realized he needs to be eased in

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
VJ needs to develop a hybrid, freak role for him. Everything that utilizes his instincts and natural ability. Some YouTuber mentioned giving him a designated area to patrol, like from the los to 10 yards back. He'll need to look at it like a box that he's responsible for.

VJ has done a terrible job of simplifying his role for him and utilize what he already has which is, great instincts, speed and his tackling/pursuit of the player. He's (Simmons) likely out there swimming in his own his own head trying to think instead of play.

We know the sort of talent Simmons has, the kid's a stud. At this point it all seems like coaching.

How much longer do we give this before we start getting nervous? November?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
VJ needs to develop a hybrid, freak role for him. Everything that utilizes his instincts and natural ability. Some YouTuber mentioned giving him a designated area to patrol, like from the los to 10 yards back. He'll need to look at it like a box that he's responsible for.

VJ has done a terrible job of simplifying his role for him and utilize what he already has which is, great instincts, speed and his tackling/pursuit of the player. He's (Simmons) likely out there swimming in his own his own head trying to think instead of play.

We know the sort of talent Simmons has, the kid's a stud. At this point it all seems like coaching.

How much longer do we give this before we start getting nervous? November?
Could have swore Haskins and that Washington team were perfect for Simmons to get a lot of snaps against.

Its a bit of concern.

I'm getting Andy Isabella rookie year vibes. Coaches/GM saying we messed him up moving him around so much.

There should be something for him to do. Maybe send him on a blitz up the middle every now and then. Get creative.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Campbell's play has got to be changing the plan for Simmons...and if it's not we are wasting an opportunity. Campbell is 27 years old, and should be able to be exactly what we need next to Hicks.

We have Budda locked up. Simmons would be an ideal safety...and should absolultley be able to beat out somone like Banjo. We like what we saw from Thompson at the end of last year, but its still an area that could use an upgrade.

Put Simmons at SS. Lets him use that size and speed to fly around and make plays.
Question (not) criticizing mind you but Simmons is just about the same size as one Adrian Wilson isnt he? Would that not be a ideal position for him I really dont know of Budda is playing there right now is the reason why I'm asking cant watch any football due to work Dang it!!!

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
He is a rookie in a new system with zero pre season and much of the learning done over a ZOOM app....
I can't repeat this enough, the whole NFL overall has been pretty sloppy compared to a regular year, yes, there's some great playing but overall we're still in preseason. Week 4 should start looking more crisp and rookies could take even longer. To be worried about Simmons right now is laughable, I blame Vance Joseph for not knowing how to use him not Simmons