Don’t Overlook Washington

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If the Cards take this Washington game lightly, this could be a challenging game. Clearly the Cards have more talent. The problem is Washington’s strengths hit some of the areas where the Cards have been weak.

On defense Washington’s top skill is rushing the passer. Sadly the Cards’ O-line leaves much to be desired. The Eagles’ line, despite injuries, is still regarded as far superior to what the Cards possess. Last week the Team spent virtually the entire game in the Eagles’ backfield, sometimes with 3 players simultaneously. It’s correct that Murray is elusive and the Cards did relentlessly throw short last week. Still, the risk of injury to Murray will be high. Couple that with the resulting route limitations it produces and it sounds like another dink & dump week. Last week the Cards’s passes averaged only 5.6 yards per completion. This was sadly reminiscent of last season. If the Cards don’t keep someone in to protect Murray, they won’t be throwing deep in this game either. Especially if they fail to move Murray out of the pocket. They once touted Murray’s ability to throw on the run, including throwing deep. Now they seemed determined to make him a pocket passer who can break and run. However, they lack a line that can create and maintain a pocket. If you watch a game, typically Murray can’t step up into a pocket as it’s already collapsed. This has created a tendency for Murray to bail out too quickly and run. Murray has shown little ability to pull up and complete passes when rolling out. I’m not certain he sees the field well enough to find open receivers. Perhaps that explains the stay in the pocket mentality. Sometimes that skill does develop.

On offense the Teams’ QB, Haskins, showed significant improvement last week. They have a special fast release package of plays consisting of several simultaneous slants and misdirection routes. This package plays to Haskins’ best skills as he tends to be sloppy on his mechanics, so longer throws are less accurate. He’s especially vulnerable because he often fails to step into his passes often causing them to sail or veer. He’d be a prime target for interceptions but that’s not an area of expertise for the Cards’ defense. I expect the game plan to rely heavily on these quick release passes and also some no/quick huddle sequences.

The Cards need to be especially alert for quick strike pass plays after turnovers. This team has an old school philosophy and tries to catch defenses flat footed after changes of possession. They rarely throw deep but will extend to mid-range throws on those occasions.

On offense I expect the Cards to do what Philly did, be aggressive early. Unfortunately for Philly they got overly aggressive, perhaps reckless, even when up 17-0. I’m not saying they should have shut down the offense, but maybe it was time to call a few plays designed to slow down the rush. The Cards can try to do that by doing a better job of establishing the run. Last year the Cards did a good job of concealing run patterns hitting small holes quickly. Against the Niners Drake ran hard but got very little space. Edmonds looked like a plus in the short passing game, but didn’t get rushing opportunities. The line has to play better. On the whole the line play was disappointing. Towards the end of last year they were improving. The Niners game was a step backwards.

As to the passing attack, the Cards have got to find a way to diversify. They can win some games with this short passing game but mostly I think they’ll end up with a bunch of close games, which can often turn on one mistake. That’s not a formula for winning the West, let alone the NFC. This is a team that’s capable of being dominant offensively but not with this level of game plans or play calling.

I also think Murray will also have to spread the ball around more. He still locks on his primary. I know Hopkins isn’t your typical primary, but sooner or later teams will double-team him, leaving major opportunities elsewhere. Also pump faking (requires time) to Hopkins should open other receivers. Finally I know Fitz wants to win, but only 4-5 targets may leave him feeling it’s time to go.

On defense things were greatly improved. It is important, however, to note Garoppolo played poorly. He was constantly late on his pass attempts. Both Murphy and Peterson benefitted immensely on the last drive. Secondary coverage overall was decent but they certainly weren’t forced to cover any big time receivers. The linebacker group was much weaker in coverage except for Campbell. Hicks committed a costly penalty. I have no idea what scheme would result in his being that deep in the secondary. He’s historically been weak in coverage. Reddick showed a little improvement but was wildly inconsistent. Simmons looked like a typical rookie. Jones was rarely in coverage but did appear to at least know his role.

I had expected a better pass rush. They were sometimes disruptive but missed a few chances to close the deal on a QB not known for his elusiveness. Washington’s line should provide numerous opportunities to at least pressure Haskins. They were sound against the run especially on that goal line stand. If they can continue to control their opponent’s ground game they figure to have a strong year defensively. I think the Cards are going to be rewarded for their patience with Joseph.

I’m not worried about early field goal misses, especially with no preseason. On the whole the special teams’ play was solid. That block was a major accomplishment based on clever play design. Good-bye Mr. Jones.

On the whole the Cards should beat Washington. I think they are a contender, but I keep waiting for those creative plays KK was supposed to bring.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The Eagles’ line, despite injuries, is still regarded as far superior to what the Cards possess.

are you telling me that a line of: LT J. Peters, LG I. Seumalo, C J. Kelce, RG N. Herbig and RT (rookie) J. Driscoll / J. Mailata

is far superior to the Cards?

good grief, then the Cards o-line has miles to go

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Cards take this Washington game lightly, this could be a challenging game. Clearly the Cards have more talent. The problem is Washington’s strengths hit some of the areas where the Cards have been weak.

On defense Washington’s top skill is rushing the passer. Sadly the Cards’ O-line leaves much to be desired. The Eagles’ line, despite injuries, is still regarded as far superior to what the Cards possess. Last week the Team spent virtually the entire game in the Eagles’ backfield, sometimes with 3 players simultaneously. It’s correct that Murray is elusive and the Cards did relentlessly throw short last week. Still, the risk of injury to Murray will be high. Couple that with the resulting route limitations it produces and it sounds like another dink & dump week. Last week the Cards’s passes averaged only 5.6 yards per completion. This was sadly reminiscent of last season. If the Cards don’t keep someone in to protect Murray, they won’t be throwing deep in this game either. Especially if they fail to move Murray out of the pocket. They once touted Murray’s ability to throw on the run, including throwing deep. Now they seemed determined to make him a pocket passer who can break and run. However, they lack a line that can create and maintain a pocket. If you watch a game, typically Murray can’t step up into a pocket as it’s already collapsed. This has created a tendency for Murray to bail out too quickly and run. Murray has shown little ability to pull up and complete passes when rolling out. I’m not certain he sees the field well enough to find open receivers. Perhaps that explains the stay in the pocket mentality. Sometimes that skill does develop.

On offense the Teams’ QB, Haskins, showed significant improvement last week. They have a special fast release package of plays consisting of several simultaneous slants and misdirection routes. This package plays to Haskins’ best skills as he tends to be sloppy on his mechanics, so longer throws are less accurate. He’s especially vulnerable because he often fails to step into his passes often causing them to sail or veer. He’d be a prime target for interceptions but that’s not an area of expertise for the Cards’ defense. I expect the game plan to rely heavily on these quick release passes and also some no/quick huddle sequences.

The Cards need to be especially alert for quick strike pass plays after turnovers. This team has an old school philosophy and tries to catch defenses flat footed after changes of possession. They rarely throw deep but will extend to mid-range throws on those occasions.

On offense I expect the Cards to do what Philly did, be aggressive early. Unfortunately for Philly they got overly aggressive, perhaps reckless, even when up 17-0. I’m not saying they should have shut down the offense, but maybe it was time to call a few plays designed to slow down the rush. The Cards can try to do that by doing a better job of establishing the run. Last year the Cards did a good job of concealing run patterns hitting small holes quickly. Against the Niners Drake ran hard but got very little space. Edmonds looked like a plus in the short passing game, but didn’t get rushing opportunities. The line has to play better. On the whole the line play was disappointing. Towards the end of last year they were improving. The Niners game was a step backwards.

As to the passing attack, the Cards have got to find a way to diversify. They can win some games with this short passing game but mostly I think they’ll end up with a bunch of close games, which can often turn on one mistake. That’s not a formula for winning the West, let alone the NFC. This is a team that’s capable of being dominant offensively but not with this level of game plans or play calling.

I also think Murray will also have to spread the ball around more. He still locks on his primary. I know Hopkins isn’t your typical primary, but sooner or later teams will double-team him, leaving major opportunities elsewhere. Also pump faking (requires time) to Hopkins should open other receivers. Finally I know Fitz wants to win, but only 4-5 targets may leave him feeling it’s time to go.

On defense things were greatly improved. It is important, however, to note Garoppolo played poorly. He was constantly late on his pass attempts. Both Murphy and Peterson benefitted immensely on the last drive. Secondary coverage overall was decent but they certainly weren’t forced to cover any big time receivers. The linebacker group was much weaker in coverage except for Campbell. Hicks committed a costly penalty. I have no idea what scheme would result in his being that deep in the secondary. He’s historically been weak in coverage. Reddick showed a little improvement but was wildly inconsistent. Simmons looked like a typical rookie. Jones was rarely in coverage but did appear to at least know his role.

I had expected a better pass rush. They were sometimes disruptive but missed a few chances to close the deal on a QB not known for his elusiveness. Washington’s line should provide numerous opportunities to at least pressure Haskins. They were sound against the run especially on that goal line stand. If they can continue to control their opponent’s ground game they figure to have a strong year defensively. I think the Cards are going to be rewarded for their patience with Joseph.

I’m not worried about early field goal misses, especially with no preseason. On the whole the special teams’ play was solid. That block was a major accomplishment based on clever play design. Good-bye Mr. Jones.

On the whole the Cards should beat Washington. I think they are a contender, but I keep waiting for those creative plays KK was supposed to bring.

pretty depressing less the last two paragraphs

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I saw a video (baldinger or pff or something) and the gist was Wentz missed on a TON of easy throws against Wash.

I’m confident Kyler won’t miss that badly.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The issue is Kyler doesnt feel as comfortable throwing on one foot while rolling out. He'll do it occasionally but prefers to reset and throw the ball. NFL is much faster so he prefers to continue running. His vision can be an issue. Its not something he came into the league with like Russell Wilson.

I also think we have to factor in that he has really small arms. Which works to his benefit in the pocket. It part of the reason his release is so quick. Especially when his feet are set. When he's scrambling and trying to throw on one foot he's not generating the same amount of juice as in the pocket.

Its why the Oline should be the focal point going forward in his career. He's more of a pocket QB who just happens to have 4.3-4.4 speed. Not the scramble guy that Mahomes and Wilson have shown to be. They are great pocket guys also, but their scrambling ability is absurd. Even dating back to college.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
are you telling me that a line of: LT J. Peters, LG I. Seumalo, C J. Kelce, RG N. Herbig and RT (rookie) J. Driscoll / J. Mailata

Injuries have certainly impacted them. I’m not ready to write off Peters. Last year he allowed only 25 pressures on 602 pass attempts. Johnson’s injury was a big loss but Driscoll played well. PFF rated Seumalo at a decent 70.6. Kelce grade 92.8. I think with better play calling they would have looked better. The Eagles attempted only 17 rushes & 42 passes. Herbig played like a rookie. They had a bad game but beyond play calling, how much of their failure was caused by a dangerous pass rush? With Johnson PFF had them as the 10th best line. The Cards were ranked 21st. Even after game 1 The Athletic rated the Philly line above average. They rated the Cards below average. So yes, as I wrote, Philly is better. Keep in mind the reason Murray had so many rushing yards was he had to run. I’m certain he’d have preferred to pass.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Agreed. I think Harry is vastly overrating the line the Eagle sent out there. They obviously don't have much depth on their OL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Injuries have certainly impacted them. I’m not ready to write off Peters. Last year he allowed only 25 pressures on 602 pass attempts. Johnson’s injury was a big loss but Driscoll played well. PFF rated Seumalo at a decent 70.6. Kelce grade 92.8. I think with better play calling they would have looked better. The Eagles attempted only 17 rushes & 42 passes. Herbig played like a rookie. They had a bad game but beyond play calling, how much of their failure was caused by a dangerous pass rush? With Johnson PFF had them as the 10th best line. The Cards were ranked 21st. Even after game 1 The Athletic rated the Philly line above average. They rated the Cards below average. So yes, as I wrote, Philly is better. Keep in mind the reason Murray had so many rushing yards was he had to run. I’m certain he’d have preferred to pass.

And Peters had a 40 or 50 grade if you want to use PFF.

He got beat constantly from what I've heard.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kyler (and by extension the team) sounds focused. If the Cardinals can take on Seattle on 10/25 with a 6-0 record it would be something. Hopefully the situation is calmed down enough to allow decent amount of crowd in the stadium while socially distancing.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From what I've read on WFT fan forums & seen on metric sites etc, they have probably worst left tackle & guard in football. No Trent Williams to stonewall Chan anymore going make it just as uncomfortable for Haskins facing our pass rush.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I definitely am concerned about the WAS pass rush but the way to negate it would be quick hit throws that seemed to work against SF who are a far better pass defense that WAS. I hope other WR's on roster not named Hopkins or Fitzgerald have a better showing against WAS than they did against SF.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe it's the one thing no one is looking at.. usually works that way. Haskins. Don't let him get comfortable at all and we'll be just fine.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

This cant be allowed to happen. Chase is even more freakish than Bosa

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Weak efforts by DJ. Hope he cleans that up. His sloppy footwork is easy to manipulate.

My biggest concern with DJ is how will he respond now that he got his big 2nd contract. Will he get too comfortable and not have the same fire he had last year in his contract year? Can he play a full season without getting hurt like last year?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off there is no way the Cards are in a mental state to take anybody lightly.

They’re playing a team that is coming off a win.
They’re playing a team that came in here and thoroughly whipped our ass and embarrassed us.
Wentz played terrible. Held the ball way to long. Eagles appeared to think they won this game after going up 17-0. The Eagles did us a favor showing us what the WFT front 7 can do.

we are riding high but this is going to be a tough game. If we lose this game it won’t be because we took them lightly.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Wash has a good defense. I think Philly's offensive line issues and Wentz scattered play made them look better than they are, but they are unquestionably a good defense

good defenses keep teams in games, so you cant overlook them

i am thinking a 23-16 Cards win kinda game where we get to sweat out a couple late 4th quarter Washington possessions to tie

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wash has a good defense. I think Philly's offensive line issues and Wentz scattered play made them look better than they are, but they are unquestionably a good defense

good defenses keep teams in games, so you cant overlook them

i am thinking a 23-16 Cards win kinda game where we get to sweat out a couple late 4th quarter Washington possessions to tie

On 7 of the 8 sacks the Redskins had on the Eagles, Carson Wentz held the ball for over 4 seconds.

That's not terrible OL play, that's a QB holding the ball way too long.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
IMO the Redbirds win this going away
Tough first half due to the skins defense but we get them gassed in the third quarter

Redbirds 27
Skins 17

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This cant be allowed to happen. Chase is even more freakish than Bosa
Bosa is awesome. But that could some of the most embarrassing one-game tape I’ve ever seen from a highly paid former first round pick left tackle. Just embarrassing.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea nervous on tom

Washingtonn line is scary and chase young looked awesome week 1....

I hope we see the same hop from Last week and more from drake though he played decent week 1 just hope cards try to run bit more

Also looking forward to see more dre Peterson combo

Also cards should try simmons at safety some see how it pans out

Go cards tom and everyone who has a fantasy football team

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My biggest concern with DJ is how will he respond now that he got his big 2nd contract. Will he get too comfortable and not have the same fire he had last year in his contract year? Can he play a full season without getting hurt like last year?
Granted it was Week 1 with no preseason but a PFF grade of 50 and leaving mid 4th quarte with injury didn't exude confidence. He's a go for tomorrow, hopefully he starts to justify that contract or not going after Trent Williams (no matter age differnce) is going to look like a mistake.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson