Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns just need to improve the Bench this short off season........Suns bench played the bottom of teams rosters in the bubble because some players rested. Like to see this team play a season with the starters all their.

That's not exactly true, at least not for "the bubble". Late in the bubble we faced a couple teams that had nothing to play for but our first game with Dallas and our games against the Pacers and Clippers were fully legit, those opponents played their key players heavy minutes. The second Dallas game was similar but we opened up a big lead in the first half and they started resting their better players as a result.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not exactly true, at least not for "the bubble". Late in the bubble we faced a couple teams that had nothing to play for but our first game with Dallas and our games against the Pacers and Clippers were fully legit, those opponents played their key players heavy minutes. The second Dallas game was similar but we opened up a big lead in the first half and they started resting their better players as a result.

Additionally the Suns were short Baynes and Oubre. Their bench often was primarily Saric, Payne and Carter.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I definitely think we need to get a banger and a baller on the bench. A big banger that can just come in, set some hard screens, grab some tough rebounds, and give some hard fouls (Baynes-ish). And a baller that can come in and be instant offense for a small stretch (Barbosa-ish). I’m not saying these are our biggest needs, but I think they would be valuable as deeper bench kind of players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely think we need to get a banger and a baller on the bench. A big banger that can just come in, set some hard screens, grab some tough rebounds, and give some hard fouls (Baynes-ish). And a baller that can come in and be instant offense for a small stretch (Barbosa-ish). I’m not saying these are our biggest needs, but I think they would be valuable as deeper bench kind of players.

I want the Suns to bring in some hungry players who really want it. No more players like Trevor Ariza. Also Suns need a dose of athleticism.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I want the Suns to bring in some hungry players who really want it. No more players like Trevor Ariza. Also Suns need a dose of athleticism.
I definitely agree. No more big contracts for people just looking for an end of the career payday. But I think we also need some lower end (2-3 million a year) veterans who know their role and can come in and execute that role when needed and won’t sulk on the bench when they aren’t needed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely agree. No more big contracts for people just looking for an end of the career payday. But I think we also need some lower end (2-3 million a year) veterans who know their role and can come in and execute that role when needed and won’t sulk on the bench when they aren’t needed.

We need to make a list of these type players.

D.J. Augustin and Raul Neto might be a couple at point guard.

I like the way Chris Boucher plays.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OKC gets: Kelly Oubre, #10

PHX gets. Dennis Schroeder

Works money wise. With Bridges and Cam developing they’ve made Oubre expendable plus I don’t see us playing him the money he’s going to want. I wouldn’t pay him either personally.

If OKC is going full rebuild and I think they are they got SGA at PG and they love Draft picks so I think it gets it done.

DS gives us a guy off the bench that can legit get his own shot and create for other guys. I mean right now it’s pretty much Booker that can get his own shot and that’s it.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Works money wise. With Bridges and Cam developing they’ve made Oubre expendable plus I don’t see us playing him the money he’s going to want. I wouldn’t pay him either personally.

If OKC is going full rebuild and I think they are they got SGA at PG and they love Draft picks so I think it gets it done.

DS gives us a guy off the bench that can legit get his own shot and create for other guys. I mean right now it’s pretty much Booker that can get his own shot and that’s it.

bleh

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If the Suns are going to trade that package, I would much rather it be for Aaron Gordon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So you are trading one expiring contract for another (both will want to get paid) and throwing in the 10th pick for Schroder. No thanks. I'd rather draft a point guard or sign a free agent like D.J. Augustin.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you are trading one expiring contract for another (both will want to get paid) and throwing in the 10th pick for Schroder. No thanks. I'd rather draft a point guard or sign a free agent like D.J. Augustin.

yes.

This is about who makes us better next year. We are at the point where we need to start making moves to make us good not waiting on Rookies who may or may not develop.

Schröder is a legit scoring option something this team desperately needs. Booker is the only one on this roster that can create his own shot.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Keep Kelly.

He is a great 3rd scorer he can affect the game without scoring.

Suns need to draft a big at 10 Smith is my choice.

Smith can block shots, rebound

run the floor and hit 3's at a decent clip for a big man.

Suns just need to upgrade depth if they keep Kelly.

They will have three players under 25 that can all score 20 ppg that's is a great young core.

They have Carter and Bridges who are both top 3 to 5 at their positions on D.

Cam is one of the best young and upcoming shooters in the NBA.

Rickey is a great floor general and can get everyone in a groove.

Ayton is one of the best big men in the west and he is getting better.

Suns just need to keep who they have and add to the depth.

Booker is a champion caliber player that looks like the 2nd best all-around SG in the NBA.

He is only 24 and already has the most 30 pt games in Sun's history.

Kelly can shoot, drive, run the floor rebound, and gives effort on D.

Who better to be the 3rd option.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

OKC had a ridiculous amount of picks coming there way from the PG-13 and Westbrook trades. They probably have little interest in the #10 in a so-so draft. They will likely cash in on Chris Paul this offseason and that leaves them with Shai and Schroeder as their main guards, possibly moving Schroeder back into the starting 5 but he'll still be a solid 6th man for them and a veteran presence on a young team. Sure, Kelly would add some of the veteran presence also but I can't see him resigning in OKC and I would think OKC would want to see if he'd resign there before trading for him also.

Giving up Kelly and the #10 for a Sixth man like Schroeder who sucked in Atlanta before finding a home in OKC recently is an overpay, plus he's also expiring and isn't likely to be a good replacement for Rubio in 2 years either, if he's retained beyond his current deal.

They should be able to find a Sixth Man like Jordan Clarkson for the MLE, if they're interested in signing someone outright. He can score, facilitate, and defend. Plus he's used to coming off the bench in a role of instant offense and playing point. He's a true combo guard in skill and size, while Schroeder is too small to play much SG unless you had a PG with Shai's size to pair him with.

If the Suns wanted to trade for someone on an expiring deal, I'd like to see them talk with the Nets for Spencer Dinwiddie. Oubre for him, straight up. Resign him and he could take over for Rubio as starter either in Rubio's last year or when he's expired. His game is more complete than Schroeder, offensively and defensively, and he's got a lot more size at 6'5" 215 pounds.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OKC had a ridiculous amount of picks coming there way from the PG-13 and Westbrook trades. They probably have little interest in the #10 in a so-so draft. They will likely cash in on Chris Paul this offseason and that leaves them with Shai and Schroeder as their main guards, possibly moving Schroeder back into the starting 5 but he'll still be a solid 6th man for them and a veteran presence on a young team. Sure, Kelly would add some of the veteran presence also but I can't see him resigning in OKC and I would think OKC would want to see if he'd resign there before trading for him also.

Giving up Kelly and the #10 for a Sixth man like Schroeder who sucked in Atlanta before finding a home in OKC recently is an overpay, plus he's also expiring and isn't likely to be a good replacement for Rubio in 2 years either, if he's retained beyond his current deal.

They should be able to find a Sixth Man like Jordan Clarkson for the MLE, if they're interested in signing someone outright. He can score, facilitate, and defend. Plus he's used to coming off the bench in a role of instant offense and playing point. He's a true combo guard in skill and size, while Schroeder is too small to play much SG unless you had a PG with Shai's size to pair him with.

If the Suns wanted to trade for someone on an expiring deal, I'd like to see them talk with the Nets for Spencer Dinwiddie. Oubre for him, straight up. Resign him and he could take over for Rubio as starter either in Rubio's last year or when he's expired. His game is more complete than Schroeder, offensively and defensively, and he's got a lot more size at 6'5" 215 pounds.

i totally forgot about dinwiddie I’d love to see him in a suns uniform

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh... hell... no...

Oubre or the 10th pick, either asset on its own, would be grotesque overpay for Schroder. I have zero interest in him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh... hell... no...

Oubre or the 10th pick, either asset on its own, would be grotesque overpay for Schroder. I have zero interest in him.

fans really over value there own players. Oubre is pretty much an energy guy that doesn’t really shoot well or shoot the 3 well and is an average defender? He’s really not that good.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fans really over value there own players. Oubre is pretty much an energy guy that doesn’t really shoot well or shoot the 3 well and is an average defender? He’s really not that good.

I think you undervalue assets. Trading Oubre with the 10th pick for Schroder would a huge overpay. If you want Schroder wait until next season is over when he is a free agent.

I'm sure OKC would love the deal though getting the 10th pick for an expiring contract.

I see you didn't like Warren either so it's easier to understand why you would be willing to use a lottery pick to trade Oubre.

At least trade for a player that has years left on his contract.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you undervalue assets. Trading Oubre with the 10th pick for Schroder would a huge overpay. If you want Schroder wait until next season is over when he is a free agent.

I'm sure OKC would love the deal though getting the 10th pick for an expiring contract.

I see you didn't like Warren either so it's easier to understand why you would be willing to use a lottery pick to trade Oubre.

At least trade for a player that has years left on his contract.

Warren was the ultimate empty stats guy in Phoenix who had just the oddest injury history I’ve ever seen so losing him was no big deal.

I think Oubre is more effective than Warren in Phoenix.

it’s not that I dislike Oubre it’s just he seems to be the odd man out at this point

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warren was the ultimate empty stats guy in Phoenix who had just the oddest injury history I’ve ever seen so losing him was no big deal.

I think Oubre is more effective than Warren in Phoenix.

it’s not that I dislike Oubre it’s just he seems to be the odd man out at this point

I'm simply not liking the trade. Perhaps I would feel differently about another trade.

Aside from cost, I'm not sure Oubre isn't as good or better than any forward on the Suns roster. All three forwards (Oubre, Bridges and Cam Johnson) are 24.

Of course Oubre's injury could be another factor. There is not much out there about it.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3133603/kelly-oubre-jr

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3147657/mikal-bridges

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3138196/cameron-johnson

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm simply not liking the trade. Perhaps I would feel differently about another trade.

Aside from cost, I'm not sure Oubre isn't as good or better than any forward on the Suns roster. All three forwards (Oubre, Bridges and Cam Johnson) are 24.

Of course Oubre's injury could be another factor. There is not much out there about it.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3133603/kelly-oubre-jr

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3147657/mikal-bridges

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3138196/cameron-johnson

age is age but Bridges and Cam still have room to grow and look like they are growing. Oubre is game is based on athleticism and he’s going to be coming off a torn meniscus

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
age is age but Bridges and Cam still have room to grow and look like they are growing. Oubre is game is based on athleticism and he’s going to be coming off a torn meniscus

We are sort of getting away from the proposed trade.

However, I do think it's fair to measure where each player is at the same age. If Cam Johnson and Bridges improve (which I think they will) it's likely Oubre will improve as well. His stats are already better in regard to rebounding and PER. He is not a bad shooter.

The knee injury is another factor that we don't know about all the details right now....but yes, that could change the equation other than money.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are sort of getting away from the proposed trade.

However, I do think it's fair to measure where each player is at the same age. If Cam Johnson and Bridges improve (which I think they will) it's likely Oubre will improve as well. His stats are already better in regard to rebounding and PER. He is not a bad shooter.

The knee injury is another factor that we don't know about all the details right now....but yes, that could change the equation other than money.

there is some common sense involved

Oubre has been in the NBA system for 5 years now, Bridges 2 and Cam 1. When a guys a role player and he’s been in for 5 years he’s pretty much who he is.

Bridges and Cam both need years in an NBA weight room the upside on both of them is higher than what Oubre is now.

so out of the three you’d keep Oubre? What would you trade?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is some common sense involved

Oubre has been in the NBA system for 5 years now, Bridges 2 and Cam 1. When a guys a role player and he’s been in for 5 years he’s pretty much who he is.

Bridges and Cam both need years in an NBA weight room the upside on both of them is higher than what Oubre is now.

so out of the three you’d keep Oubre? What would you trade?

Let me say, this is a fun discussion.

I'm not set on making a trade unless the right trade comes along which significantly improves the team.

Oubre's stats have improved each season so maybe they keep improving as well as Bridges and Johnson. We don't know the ceiling of all three players.

So unless a trade comes along that knocks the socks off (or unless the Suns draft a similar player) I keep all three.

The Suns can draft a player and fill in other needs through available salary space. They have about $20 million if Sarver uses it.

Also another thing to consider, the Suns will have $15 million to use the following season if they decide not to keep Oubre when his contract expires. Or if Oubre plays beyond expectations (or someone under performs), the Suns have a chance to keep him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me say, this is a fun discussion.

I'm not set on making a trade unless the right trade comes along which significantly improves the team.

Oubre's stats have improved each season so maybe they keep improving as well as Bridges and Johnson. We don't know the ceiling of all three players.

So unless a trade comes along that knocks the socks off (or unless the Suns draft a similar player) I keep all three.

The Suns can draft a player and fill in other needs through available salary space. They have about $20 million if Sarver uses it.

Also another thing to consider, the Suns will have $15 million to use the following season if they decide not to keep Oubre when his contract expires. Or if Oubre plays beyond expectations (or someone under performs), the Suns have a chance to keep him.

so your ok going in to the season with the same team and just a rookie at 10?