The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t remember the last time we identified an undrafted or 2nd round stud.

I remember one and he is playing for the Heat.

When people say second round picks or even undrafted players don't have value they should look around the NBA.

Because the Suns are not good at finding sleepers doesn't mean other teams can't.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of it is scouting (or how management used that information) versus a failure in player development?

I think a lot of it is scouting. I can't remember the name of a Suns scout since the death of Richard Percudani.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could be a great finish to the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat and Celtics tied 95-95 with 2:21 left.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic with a huge 3-pointer. Heat up by 5.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BTW, for those citing Boston and Miami as examples of us not needing a power forward, both teams' shooting guards have more beef than both of our starting forwards, let alone who they are starting at the 4...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat win over Celtics 106-101. They take 2-0 series lead.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, for those citing Boston and Miami as examples of us not needing a power forward, both teams' shooting guards have more beef than both of our starting forwards, let alone who they are starting at the 4...

So the Suns only need some bigger 2-3 type players?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So the Suns only need some bigger 2-3 type players?

IF they are going to play only one big, three wings and a point guard, then yes, their wings need to be able to bang with the Jimmy Butlers of the NBA, as well as opposing 4s. Or else they all need to be lightning quick (which Cam and Bridges are not, nor are Booker and Rubio).

Of course, the simpler solution is just to get a starting power forward so that they then have at least SOMEONE other than Ayton who has the body to bang and bully.

The Suns as presently constructed are remarkably soft physically and don't have the team speed/quickness to make up for it. Hence the foul and free throw disparity and the over-reliance on finesse ball (which gives them next to no margin for error)..

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF they are going to play only one big, three wings and a point guard, then yes, their wings need to be able to bang with the Jimmy Butlers of the NBA, as well as opposing 4s. Or else they all need to be lightning quick (which Cam and Bridges are not, nor are Booker and Rubio).

Of course, the simpler solution is just to get a starting power forward so that they then have at least SOMEONE other than Ayton who has the body to bang and bully.

The Suns as presently constructed are remarkably soft physically and don't have the team speed/quickness to make up for it. Hence the foul and free throw disparity and the over-reliance on finesse ball (which gives them next to no margin for error)..

Maybe if the Suns keep Booker, Bridges, Cam Johnson and Kelly Oubre long enough their bodies will mature into grown men. The same with Ayton.

I'm certainly not opposed to drafting, trading or signing an athletic 4 but I think the Suns should go BPA in the draft even if it's not a stereotypical power forward.

I do think the Suns need some athletic, defensive minded type 4/5 type players even if they are not starters.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t remember the last time we identified an undrafted or 2nd round stud.

I would say PJ Tucker would qualify as a find like that. I know he had a cup of coffee in the league before but he went to Europe because he washed out of the league and the Suns brought him back to the NBA and he was a bulldog from day 1. He played 17 games in the NBA in his rookie year and averaged 4.9 minutes before going to Europe and playing for 5 years in 5 different countries, Israel, Ukraine, Germany, Italy, and Greece. It's not like he was tearing it up in one place overseas, he was someone who bounced around a lot. He started 49 of the 75 games he played on for the 2012-13 team that was a collection of turds like Beasley and Shannon Brown.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I remember one and he is playing for the Heat.

When people say second round picks or even undrafted players don't have value they should look around the NBA.

Because the Suns are not good at finding sleepers doesn't mean other teams can't.
Oh trust me I recall the suns were great at it at one time. But if dragic is the last one, that’s eons ago.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would say PJ Tucker would qualify as a find like that. I know he had a cup of coffee in the league before but he went to Europe because he washed out of the league and the Suns brought him back to the NBA and he was a bulldog from day 1. He played 17 games in the NBA in his rookie year and averaged 4.9 minutes before going to Europe and playing for 5 years in 5 different countries, Israel, Ukraine, Germany, Italy, and Greece. It's not like he was tearing it up in one place overseas, he was someone who bounced around a lot. He started 49 of the 75 games he played on for the 2012-13 team that was a collection of turds like Beasley and Shannon Brown.
Yeah I guess kind of. Doesn’t really rise to the level of a Kendrick nunn though, does he?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh trust me I recall the suns were great at it at one time. But if dragic is the last one, that’s eons ago.

That's why I didn't mention the name. The Suns had Dragic twice and let him go.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the Lakers-Nuggets series which starts tonight.

The Heat-Celtics series hasn't been shabby either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giannis Antetokounmpo has won MVP Award again.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown reportedly had a heated confrontation after game 2 loss.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
⁦‪@wojespn‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

ESPN Sources: Brad Stevens had a late night Thursday meeting with Celtics leaders – Kemba Walker, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart – to work through emotions of post-Game 2 locker room. A lot of yelling in locker room, but nothing escalated to a physical confrontation.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
⁦‪@wojespn‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

ESPN Sources: Brad Stevens had a late night Thursday meeting with Celtics leaders – Kemba Walker, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart – to work through emotions of post-Game 2 locker room. A lot of yelling in locker room, but nothing escalated to a physical confrontation.

I'm guessing the way the Heat outscored the Celtics by 20 points in the 3rd quarter had to carry over.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I remember Daryl Dawkins destroyed a whole locker room after a loss. Everyone was afraid to go in there to stop him!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson