What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why is this Keim's fault for where he is played? This is a VJ or KK complaint, as they are the coaches. Keim doesn't tell Simmons were to be on the field...

Same with Bucannon. He was drafted to play SS then all of a sudden Dansby left us hanging and Washington decided he didn’t want to play football anymore.

BA said hey kid gain 20lbs and jump in at LB.

How is that on SK I have no idea but what do I know

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought Simmons was considered a steal at the number pick (8?) we had?

Who would you rather we had drafted at that pick?

Its hard

I dont blame them for Simmons per se. But have a better plan.

Simmons should be a SS, but then you have Budda who plays the same role.

Personally I would have drafted Ceedee Lamb and still trade for Hopkins

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody would be complaining about Simmons at all except for one bad play - a play that would not even have looked that bad if Budda had not been blitzing and been in position to clean up the mess.

The overreaction is insane.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again, how is this Kiems fault on where the coaches place him on the field?

I think Simmons and Budda are similar players.

Why draft the guy when you know his best natural position is same position as Budda, a guy you view as a cornerstone and plan on resigning.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody would be complaining about Simmons at all except for one bad play - a play that would not even have looked that bad if Budda had not been blitzing and been in position to clean up the mess.

The overreaction is insane.

A lot of this. This was a rookie's first game with no preseason.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
your giving off a very desperate vibe. Your so desperate to be right you’d rather him fail and the team suffer than be proven wrong and the team succeed.

it’s pretty common
Uh, I don’t think that’s desperation, I think that’s accuracy. You seem so desperate for him to be wrong that you’re willing to ignore simple facts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why is this Keim's fault for where he is played? This is a VJ or KK complaint, as they are the coaches. Keim doesn't tell Simmons were to be on the field...
If he’s being drafted to play a specific position it is. You think a GM drafts a guy without knowing the game plan for him? That’s nuts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Same with Bucannon. He was drafted to play SS then all of a sudden Dansby left us hanging and Washington decided he didn’t want to play football anymore.

BA said hey kid gain 20lbs and jump in at LB.

How is that on SK I have no idea but what do I know
This one may be true bc I recAll we needed safeties.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
your giving off a very desperate vibe. Your so desperate to be right you’d rather him fail and the team suffer than be proven wrong and the team succeed.

it’s pretty common
"desperate" I don't think this word means what you think it means.

As for the rest = ???

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
There will always be those armchair GMs. It's been one game with no preason games. Why is it so hard for people to just wait a few a games before spouting off "See I was right! We should be playing him here! Blah blah blah"

Seriously he played 18 snaps and they want to jump to that judgment already. I get that SK hasn't been the best GM but come on guys. Be patient and realistic and not expect him to look like a all pro literally the first game he's played.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Guys...observations are not indictments.

Stating reasons Simmons had a bad game isn't wanting him to fail or calling him a bust or claiming that he can't improve. It is just citing what contributed to the bad game everyone watched.

Identifying habits in Keim's drafting process is not wanting the team to fail or calling for Keim to be fired or saying he doesn't do anything right.

Maybe we should just acknowledge that after games some posters are going to focus on the positives and some are going to focus on the areas for opportunity. Neither of those camps wants the team to lose. grow up.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
You don’t give up on any rookie after 1 game. Yes there are concerns. I mentioned on another thread I was concerned when he was listed as a backup on the depth chart. On yet another thread I mentioned a couple who’d seen him in camp weren’t certain he was an ILB. That said, it’s way to early to discount him. Rookies develop at different speeds. Let alone one not fully experienced at the position he’s expected to play. Simmons will have to adjust to the speed of the NFL. I doubt in college he was often left in someone’s dust.

I think he’ll be a valuable player, though maybe not at ILB. Let’s be patient and let him get a little experience. On the plus side that’s the best I’ve seen Campbell play since 2017.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There will always be those armchair GMs. It's been one game with no preason games. Why is it so hard for people to just wait a few a games before spouting off "See I was right! We should be playing him here! Blah blah blah"

Seriously he played 18 snaps and they want to jump to that judgment already. I get that SK hasn't been the best GM but come on guys. Be patient and realistic and not expect him to look like a all pro literally the first game he's played.
Ok. This is for the week 1 & no preseason crowd.

Chase Young had 1.5 sacks with no preseason.

Derrick Brown had a TFL and kocked a pass down.

CJ Henderson had a pick and three passes defensed.

You could even argue that Jeff Okudah didn't have as bad of a day because he didn't give up two TDs.

Simmons had an awful day for a top 10, non-QB pick. It probably couldn't have been worse. That is a fact. The lack of offseason and preseason is not a viable excuse because I have cited other dudes in the same situation who didn't crap the bed. I would argue that it isn't his fault because he isn't being used like he as in college. If he was being used like he was in college, it would be much more concerning.

Like Harry says, it is too early to define his career and guys develop at different rates, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth mentioning or isn't a little concerning.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Same can be said for Hockenson, Ian Thomas and Herndon.

His usage in the Cowboys game will be interesting with their 3 WR packages.

He's going to be fine, I'm not worried about Simmons. I am worried about our SS and our WR's not named Fitzgerald and Hopkins though.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

You could even argue that Jeff Okudah didn't have as bad of a day because he didn't give up two TDs.

Simmons had an awful day for a top 10, non-QB pick. It probably couldn't have been worse. That is a fact. The lack of offseason and preseason is not a viable excuse because I have cited other dudes in the same situation who didn't crap the bed. I would argue that it isn't his fault because he isn't being used like he as in college. If he was being used like he was in college, it would be much more concerning.

Like Harry says, it is too early to define his career and guys develop at different rates, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth mentioning or isn't a little concerning.

Jeff Okudah didn't play and the rest are DLs except for CJ.

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score

Any idea how many snaps they played during their game? Again 18 snaps. Small sample size. And if I remember right one of those TDs weren't on Simmons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave