Taking positives out of this win

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
1-Cardinals overcame costly penalties and horrible field position

2-They had 78 offensive plays, 404 yards, and still have plenty of room for improvement

3-Defense held Niners to 2-11 on third down

4-The design on the block punt was exceptional with the cross buck middle rush - it changed the entire momentum of game

5-very Good win and plenty of improvements to come

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good positives.

There was more criticism and negativity by fans during and after the game than I ever would've expected. One might think we were 14-2 last year. This is my favorite positive:

1. Beating the defending NFC champion, with maybe the best defense in the NFL, a division opponent, in their house, week one.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
All good positives.

There was more criticism and negativity by fans during and after the game than I ever would've expected. One might think we were 14-2 last year. This is my favorite positive:

1. Beating the defending NFC champion, with maybe the best defense in the NFL, a division opponent, in their house, week one.
I have been hyper-critical of this team for two years, but come on, we made a statement win today. Ugly wins against the NFC champ, when your QB runs for nearly 100 yards, and your shiny new WR acquisition dominates the game, are the best kinds of wins. Not to mention it all happening in the opponent's stadium, with fires raining ash around them.

A win like this makes me think we don't have to fear anyone.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
1-Cardinals overcame costly penalties and horrible field position

2-They had 78 offensive plays, 404 yards, and still have plenty of room for improvement

3-Defense held Niners to 2-11 on third down

4-The design on the block punt was exceptional with the cross buck middle rush - it changed the entire momentum of game

5-very Good win and plenty of improvements to come

Welcome back! I thought @Cardsfaninlouky was the only bluegrasser left...

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have been hyper-critical of this team for two years, but come on, we made a statement win today. Ugly wins against the NFC champ, when your QB runs for nearly 100 yards, and your shiny new WR acquisition dominates the game, are the best kinds of wins. Not to mention it all happening in the opponent's stadium, with fires raining ash around them.

A win like this makes me think we don't have to fear anyone.
You're exactly right solar 7. We will fear no one. I just finished watching the game. Had to DVR the 2nd half because my men's softball team had a game at 7:00 EST.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
I was kind of shocked when I quickly browsed some of the game day thread and read so many negative comments. You would think the Cards got destroyed.

this team was 5-10-1 last year and the first win didn't come until week 5.

Both teams didn't have a preseason obviously, but SF are the defending NFC champions and the Cards were in the basement of the division last year. The Cards were a TD underdog despite a couple injuries for SF. Many analysts thought we would lose badly.

The Cards were superior in many aspects of the game. Yes, not everything was perfect(especially two costly missed field goals) but getting a win in week 1 against the Whiners is awesome.

The 49ers claimed they would be on a revenge tour this year after their Super Bowl loss. Hasn't started well for them.

Washington next week will be a good battle.(They played pretty well Sunday).

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
All good positives.

Agree. The tone of some posts make it seem like we lost.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a great win. Every win is but...

There was a lot of ugly. This was a a defensive win. We averaged 4.74 yards per attempt (ANY/A net adjusted yards). That's 25th so far with 2 teams remaining to play. Without Kyler legs we'd be the worst.

Some of Kliff's play calling was amateur hour and the whole game was saved by that SF PI call on 3rd down after 3 of the worst play calls / execution I have ever seen from this team. That PI enabled the 14 play touchdown drive.

But it's week 1, hopefully shake the rust off and fix it next week.

Skin's won't be easy though. The last time I thought the Skins would be an easy home win we got destroyed.

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The negative comments were because in the first half they played bad. They were reluctant to throw the ball more than 5 yards, never used the run and SF was driving consistently. The 2nd half they shined minus the penalties. This team plays way better when we push the ball down the field. I don’t know when Kliff will realize that. DHop is not the highest paid receiver to run bubble screens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I watched the Seattle/Atlanta game yesterday (our local game) and Seattle looked pretty damn good. There offense certainly showed no rust and Metcalf is a legit deep threat.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I feel like negative comments have pretty much always been popular winning or losing. Some people just feel the need to voice negative opinions more than positive ones.

Rage addiction. It's an epidemic in this country right now.

What is worse, the internet is the PERFECT avenue to supply said rage.

This is a great win, if people who follow this team are not happy about it, not sure if they know how to be happy about things.

No game will be perfect, definite negatives to take away from the game, but its all about wins and loses. When you win, I say enjoy it. Gotta bask in joy when you have the opportunity to because it is not guaranteed you get to feel it again.

Regardless, great win, and still riding that feeling.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It was a great win. Every win is but...

There was a lot of ugly. This was a a defensive win. We averaged 4.74 yards per attempt (ANY/A net adjusted yards). That's 25th so far with 2 teams remaining to play. Without Kyler legs we'd be the worst.

Some of Kliff's play calling was amateur hour and the whole game was saved by that SF PI call on 3rd down after 3 of the worst play calls / execution I have ever seen from this team. That PI enabled the 14 play touchdown drive.

But it's week 1, hopefully shake the rust off and fix it next week.

Skin's won't be easy though. The last time I thought the Skins would be an easy home win we got destroyed.

Yup.

You have positives for the positives thread ? Cause I read this same message on the 10 other negative threads. Just sayin' You do you, but maybe allow some people to enjoy things. I know you didn't enjoy this win. Got it. But, some did, and should be allowed to talk about what they liked as well.

Again, just sayin'

Have a good one, and agree Washington is a trap game.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The negative comments were because in the first half they played bad. They were reluctant to throw the ball more than 5 yards, never used the run and SF was driving consistently. The 2nd half they shined minus the penalties. This team plays way better when we push the ball down the field. I don’t know when Kliff will realize that. DHop is not the highest paid receiver to run bubble screens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. We got it in the other threads. We are not unaware of the negatives, just was trying to have one thread to talk about the positives. But, carpet bomb your negativity and wet blanket the joy if that is your thing.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Three posts into this thread and the negative pigeons treat it like a new car.

Oh well. The thread is all yours pigeons! Guess we will have to talk about the positives some other place.

Cause 10 threads with 5 posters finding every positive post and crapping on it makes this a boring and negative place.

But the great thing is, I am happy about the win, and ain't nothing going to change that till Wednesday!

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched the Seattle/Atlanta game yesterday (our local game) and Seattle looked pretty damn good. There offense certainly showed no rust and Metcalf is a legit deep threat.

Interesting, was thinking the falcons defense is getting worse if that is possible

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In back of my mind was the. question:

To reach the playoffs this year, would we (1) have to improve our talent in several areas, (2) get the guys we've got to play better as a team or (3) any comination thereof.

The SF win has convinced me that we've got the talent and we're playing better as a team - enough-so that we can hang around long enough to come back to win late in games.

Under the same circumstances a year ago, we would have folded.

Task at hand is to keep improving in order to leverage our talents and be mentally tough enough to steal losable games in the 4Q.