What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

Cards4thebowl

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I didn't watch the game today but he looked like Haason Reddick out there watching the highlights wtf

OP
OP
C

Cards4thebowl

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is a rookie in a new system with zero pre season and much of the learning done over a ZOOM app....

Lets be real here if he was picked anywhere other than the 1st round he would have been cut after today

OP
OP
C

Cards4thebowl

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watching him, I’m just hoping he’s like D Wash who was NOT good as a rookie and then turned into a superstar before destroying his life.

Even DWash never got exposed this bad his first year. He was invisible with flashes of potential rather than horrifically bad.

This was one of the worst performances I have seen by a LB in NFL history and I'm pretty confident Simmons' first round status is the only thing keeping him in the team right now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a lot of hyperbole here.

Yes Simmons had a couple of fluffed plays. The kids has had a short offseason and it's hard for rookies at the best of times.

They gave him too much to do. They should have kept it more limited and just sent him on to cover Kittle on 3rd down or to rush the passer in certain situations. Broke him in gently.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even DWash never got exposed this bad his first year. He was invisible with flashes of potential rather than horrifically bad.

This was one of the worst performances I have seen by a LB in NFL history and I'm pretty confident Simmons' first round status is the only thing keeping him in the team right now.
Utter nonsense. Lol dear lord ‍♂️

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Bahahahahahahahahah.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Yeah he is a rookie and they exposed him on two key TD's. He will get better.

I was expecting him to look faster/more athletic though. He didn't look fast at all.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's going to learn that he can't rely on athleticism in the pros. Technique and understanding your assignments are the only way to be good. Everyone is big and fast.

That said, it was a tough first game for him. He definitely got worked by Mostert on the angle route...just took some bad steps and got burned.

On the McKinnon touchdown, I don't know if it was Simmons or Banjo that left him wide open, but it looked bad.

If we are talking about anyone getting cut or being benched, it should be Banjo....not a first round rookie in his first game action.

There are better safeties on the street than Banjo.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's going to learn that he can't rely on athleticism in the pros. Technique and understanding your assignments are the only way to be good. Everyone is big and fast.

That said, it was a tough first game for him. He definitely got worked by Mostert on the angle route...just took some bad steps and got burned.

On the McKinnon touchdown, I don't know if it was Simmons or Banjo that left him wide open, but it looked bad.

If we are talking about anyone getting cut or being benched, it should be Banjo....not a first round rookie in his first game action.

There are better safeties on the street than Banjo.

On the local postgame show they said the 2nd TD was on Banjo. On tv they said it's not where you are after the snap it's where you line up, Simmons was outside so McKinnon was his man. But on the postgame show they said the 49ers caught us with Banjo misaligned and ran a rub play where it was impossible for Simmons to get outside and Banjo was too far inside. I don't know if that's true or not but if you watch the replay Banjo is worrying about aligning other players and then it's like the light goes on in his head oh crap I need to get outside and he couldn't.

Simmons took the inside guy he clearly thought Banjo was outside.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
hard to play fast when you are learning

Because he is thinking rather than reacting. This is all new to him.

Good points but I was surprised how Mostert blew past him and gained space in the chase.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This may explain it:

Raheem Mostert's 76-yard score the fastest speed by a ball carrier since 2018

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...76-yard-score-fastest-speed-ball-carrier-2018

The play almost certainly brought back some bad memories for the Cardinals as it was almost the exact same design that Niners running back Jeff Wilson Jr. beat Chandler Jones on for a game-winning touchdown the last time the two teams met at Levi's Stadium.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points but I was surprised how Mostert blew past him and gained space in the chase.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This may explain it:

Raheem Mostert's 76-yard score the fastest speed by a ball carrier since 2018

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...76-yard-score-fastest-speed-ball-carrier-2018

The play almost certainly brought back some bad memories for the Cardinals as it was almost the exact same design that Niners running back Jeff Wilson Jr. beat Chandler Jones on for a game-winning touchdown the last time the two teams met at Levi's Stadium.

Yeah he's a HS and college sprinter, that he outran Simmons to the house should surprise nobody.

He ran a 4.32 at his pro day, he ran a 20.73 200 meters in college. he won gold medals in 2014 in the Big 10 for sprints in the conference indoor championships.

He is among the fastest players in the NFL

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

You have not watched a lot of Cardinals games then. LOL!

We have all seen MUCH worse than that.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
if this is happening with Simmons in week 12 or so -- then i might start wondering

but not until then

Shanahan is great at two things: creating a match up he wants, and, breaking tendencies (third thing, btw: creating easy throws for the QB at the same time)

that first play screamed rub play with the back to the flat -- it actually works best against somebody who has studied route concepts

give Shanahan credit there -- so smart and well designed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose