Won by four...four big positives to take away from this game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1 - Kyler Murray made big plays with his legs and throws down the field in the second half. He is going to watch the film and see that is where he had his best success. That is good for his development.

2 - We lost our starting C, SS, and our LT (for a portion of the game) and held up for the most part pretty well. Depth is important for teams, and we seem to have serviceable depth in coming up with this win. We also showed impressive resiliency.

3 - Defense. 49ers were 2 for 11 on 3rd down and 0-2 on 4th down. That is good situational football against a very good offensive playcaller.

4 - Hopkins paid off immediately. This was a big acquisition and we needed it to work immediately even without an offseason for Murray and Hopkins to build chemistry. Especially after we gave Hop big money.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So far it is looking like SK did have an A++ offseason. All of the D FA signings made key plays today and contributed to the win. The trade of Dhop already paying big dividends and even the Beachum signing came up big for us.

The only minus thus far was the drafting of Simmons and I think most of us agree that he will become what we all thought he would be.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players that caught my eye.

Offense:
Galliard, Stepped in and we didn't miss a beat
Edmonds, This kid is a spark plug and capable of a big play jsut about any time he touches the ball.
Kyler, Showed some real resiliency when things weren't going quite the way we'd like them to go.
Drake, some will disagree but he got some tough yard and avoided a crack back block on a big gainer.
Fitz, Single-handedly "kicked" a fg by grabbing the ball running it to Cole allowing us to kill the clock with 2 seconds left n the half. That single play won the game. Frisco would have been able to kick a fg at the end of the game and we'd all feel blue taling about a 23-21 loss.
Hopkins. I knew he was good, but he is ridiculous.

Defense:
Zach Allen, got his first sack and his nose dirty on several plays.
DeVondre Cambell, was constantly around the ball
Angelo Blackson, Sack and sparkled a couple of times.
Overall team defense. Maybe the best performance for a VJ Cardinal unit. The goal line stand was unbelievable

Special Teams
I mentioned above about Fitz's contribution to the win, but people that blocked punt flipped momentum. Outstanding!

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lots to digest today. For a first game at full speed, with no “tune up” they played decent. First half looked like a team playing first live snaps. Gradually got better and the second half showed potential of both sides of the ball. The second game of the year should be better out of the gate. Will give Simmons a pass for today, he will be fine with more reps. D-Hop, wow, thank you Bill O’Brien.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gaillard > Cole, btw

Sure seemed that way I was worried about snaps but after that change Kyler was much more effective running the ball. Some of that was helping Beachum on Bosa but I think some of it was Gaillard wasn't getting dominated in the middle so Kyler could actually step up and run in there.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
random thoughts:

i thought the early offensive game plan was......... curious. short, short passes, no running, etc.

his stats wont be great, but it feels like Drake gets every yard of potential out of the blocking in the run game. That run to make it 2nd and 1 to run out the clock was great.

3 sacks isnt great, but i thought the push up the middle for the D was good -- Garrapolo didnt look comfortable.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
2nd half may have been the best Kyler's played as a pro.

Two problems he improved on so far.

1. Knowing WHEN to run.
2. Finding a way to beat a good team.

We saw his athleticism and his ability to compete last year. Just didnt close some games and still looked to be figuring out how to run in this league.

2nd half...so far so good.

Gotta say that Kliff put on a play calling show in the 4th. Kept the 49ers guessing at every turn.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How did Lawrence and Leki do today. I thought I saw them on a few plays. I expect the D run defense to tighten up next week

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have to go 3-1 in our next 4 if we are serious about the playoffs. Good teams find ways to win against non playoff teams...and I don't think any of these next 4 are playoff bound

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Other Positives:

- We didn't hear any of the CBs names mentioned much today (especially Dre Kirkpatrick) so that means they played pretty well. I know SF didn't have their top WRs, but we seemed to cover well & force some coverage sacks. Byron Murphy had 2 solid pass breakups towards the end to help seal the victory.

- Defense had 2 big 4th down stops (especially the one on the 1 yard line) that were huge in the game. They didn't come up with any turnovers and only had 3 sacks, but they played solidly overall despite a few rookie blunders by Isaiah Simmons. Also, new DL addition Blackson made some solid plays. Zach Allen had a few nice plays & a sack as well.

- Kittle only had 4 catches for 44 yards. He got banged up when Buddha made a great break on a short screen to Kittle & bent his knee the wrong way, but he came back into the game after the half & was fairly ineffective.

- Kyler rushing for 100 yards with a 22 yard scramble for a TD where he made multiple defenders miss. He had 100 yards on 11 carries before losing 9 yards on the last 2 kneel downs. I know in the long run the stats don't matter too much, but it would've been nice if they had direct snapped the ball to Drake or Edmonds to preserve Kyler's 100 yard game.

- Edmonds flashed on that 10 yard TD catch & dive to the pylon & a 20 yard run. That was huge on a day where Drake looked fairly pedestrian.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA