Thought Exercise...What is the most you would pay per year for a top RB?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is becoming fairly vogue to not pay RBs big contracts. That said, there is always a number that works. How much is that for you?

I think I top out at about 7 - 8 mil per year.

Think McCaffrey, Elliott, Saquon, etc...

EDIT (4 year contract for those who wanted a term.)

Last edited:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What I would pay for a RB is too low for what it would cost to get one. I think 7-8 per year is pretty close...but you aren't going to get a top 5 RB for that unless you hit a home run on a draft pick.

A guy like McCaffrey is worth what he's paid, he just has to be 40% of your offense in order to make it work.

If we had Bridgewater and nothing outstanding at WR....yea giving McCaffrey 30 touches a game makes sense.

In our situation I would be more than happy to draft RB's in the 3rd-6th rounds...let them play out their contracts and then go get paid elsewhere. If you have a decent O-Line, any RB can get yards on the ground. It's the really special ones that add a pass catching dynamic, or become such a threat that teams have to load the box to stop them.

I would let Drake walk after this year, roll into next with Edmonds, Eno, and a 5th round rookie.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Based on what I saw last year, this system seems built for RB success. I don't think it needs a superstar RB to make it click.
Last year we had success with Johnson, Edmonds and Drake. They all seemed to produce in this system. Therefore, I would not be inclined to pay high dollar for a RB.
Drake seems like a good fit but I would not pay over 10 mil a year. I think you are right in the 7-8 mil ballpark.
Kareem Hunt just got 2 year for $13 Mil. Something like that is right where we should be given this system.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well - for one - two year deals I would go up to 12 million per. For a 4 year deal I wouldn't go over 9 - and that would have to be a top top tier back.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
within reason, its less about how much and more about how long

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really depends on the player because CMC is a superb receiver too.

But for a good all round RB who's going to get 1100/500 then 12.5m per.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Guys like McCaffrey, Elliott, and Barkley are worth $11-13 million because they are so efficient in the passing game too. A guy like Henry almost as much because he can take over a game.
All of them are game breakers in that they can take it to the house at any time. I think what Chopper is asking in what do you see as their value and not how they fit into the Cardinal offense.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It really depends on how you construct your offense. The Cards offense is clearly pass based, and they also have a mobile QB who will pick up yards on his own. It doesn't make sense for us to go and buy a McCaffrey or Barkley. In our offense, RB's are largely interchangeable and it depends more on the O Line. The Panthers and Giants don't have dominant passers or vertical offenses, and need a workhorse to grind out their first downs and scoring opportunities. They need star RB's as the focus of their offense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It is becoming fairly vogue to not pay RBs big contracts. That said, there is always a number that works. How much is that for you?

I think I top out at about 7 - 8 mil per year.

Think McCaffrey, Elliott, Saquon, etc...

EDIT (4 year contract for those who wanted a term.)

I think it's really about deciding whether your RB is elite or just near-elite. If David Johnson had continued being productive, his extension wouldn't have mattered. Same with Todd Gurley.

Like, do Alvin Kamara or Dalvin Cook worth that kind of money?

I think that you're right that $7-8 million a year on a second-ish contract is pretty fair. After a QB on a rookie deal, the second-most valuable asset on a rookie deal is an elite RB, because you're getting half of the productive life of that player for pennies on the dollar.

People think it's hard to be an RB in the NFL right now, wait until some McKinsey consultant gets through to a head coach. It's not an accident that Austin Ekeler was suddenly productive when given a chance behind Melvin Gordon.

IMO, an NFL-caliber, replacement level young RB can replace 80% or more of the production of a truly elite-level RB. How many multiples are you willing to pay to bridge that 20% gap?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really believe that finding a running back the fits the system is more important than the specific RB.

Remember how Denver kept churning out 1000 yard rushers no matter who it was?

I would invest in offensive line versus running back. RB maybe 8 million/year tops but even that doesn't make a lot of sense when a second or third round pick can man the spot with fresh legs every 3 years.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really believe that finding a running back the fits the system is more important than the specific RB.

Remember how Denver kept churning out 1000 yard rushers no matter who it was?

I would invest in offensive line versus running back. RB maybe 8 million/year tops but even that doesn't make a lot of sense when a second or third round pick can man the spot with fresh legs every 3 years.
this should be the target: good OL because they help in run and pass and fresh young hungry RB and maybe a cheap good veteran RB but overall the right money allocation IMHO

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drake for example. I would love for him to blow up for a huge year, get a massive payday, earn us a third or fourth round comp pick and use that pick to replace him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Drake for example. I would love for him to blow up for a huge year, get a massive payday, earn us a third or fourth round comp pick and use that pick to replace him.

It feels almost unimaginable for a team to do that. What was the last big FA RB who changed locations?

Le'Veon Bell became an immediate punchline
LeSean McCoy was traded and then he was cut by Buffalo
Demarco Murray signed a 5-year, $40 million deal to go to Philly where he lasted a season

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It feels almost unimaginable for a team to do that. What was the last big FA RB who changed locations?

Melvin Gordon just got $16M for 2 years with $13.5M guaranteed with the Broncos... not a "massive payday" but one of the higher RB contracts at the moment. Surely worth a 3rd round comp pick, if the Chargers are eligible (can't recall whether they signed more big deals than they lost).

...dbs

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I would pay him a chicken fried steak with his choice of sides... well, that's what our price for victory was when I was in high school playing football in Texas lol

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McCaffrey or Kamara 12-14m. Nobody else over 10.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I would pay for a RB is too low for what it would cost to get one. I think 7-8 per year is pretty close...but you aren't going to get a top 5 RB for that unless you hit a home run on a draft pick.

A guy like McCaffrey is worth what he's paid, he just has to be 40% of your offense in order to make it work.

If we had Bridgewater and nothing outstanding at WR....yea giving McCaffrey 30 touches a game makes sense.

In our situation I would be more than happy to draft RB's in the 3rd-6th rounds...let them play out their contracts and then go get paid elsewhere. If you have a decent O-Line, any RB can get yards on the ground. It's the really special ones that add a pass catching dynamic, or become such a threat that teams have to load the box to stop them.

I would let Drake walk after this year, roll into next with Edmonds, Eno, and a 5th round rookie.
If we had bridewater and nothing outstanding at wr and the d wasn’t too 3, I’d trade McCaffrey or left him walk for a comp pick.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I think the same rules apply here as in the professional workspace. You are not paid for what you produce. You are paid for how hard you are to replace.

The difference in production between an ELITE RB like Saquan and your average 4th rounder is minimal compared to other positions in the NFL.

Max $10 - 12M