The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
stop you’ve watched to much sports to know you can’t take anything said at a press conference serious. Kyrie told a gym full of school kids he was going to be a Celtic for life and we can name a million more examples

Kyrie is an idiot.

I'm not saying it is impossible but Giannis was forceful in his rejection of the idea of forcing his way out. He just doesn't seem like that type of guy anyway.

Maybe Milwaukee decides they won't be able to resign him so they cash out on him early, but I don't think he will request out.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the only way I see that team getting better is if they can somehow swap Bledsoe for Chris Paul. He’s could be the missing piece for that team, if healthy.

otherwise, they are dead in the water next year. Maybe they have a nice shiny regular season record but the Heat will still be there, so will the Celtics and so will a much improved Nets team.

They have no shot to win a title as currently constructed and they have very little assets to get better. Giannis is gone after next year. Getting nothing for him when there could be a lot of suitors with good packages to offer would be criminally stupid on their part, IMO.

I agree with most of this (although I'd give them a bit better odds than zero) but if Giannis isn't forcing the issue how can they justify trading, arguably, the best player in the league in his prime? That kind of thing just doesn't happen. He would need to make it clear that he won't stay.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with most of this (although I'd give them a bit better odds than zero) but if Giannis isn't forcing the issue how can they justify trading, arguably, the best player in the league in his prime? That kind of thing just doesn't happen. He would need to make it clear that he won't stay.

if he hasn’t signed a super max extension this off-season, it’s pretty clear he isn’t staying.

we’ve seen clear evidence of that the last four years with KD (twice), LeBron and Kawhi. When the best player in the game doesn’t commit to you, there’s a high likelihood they’re gone at this point in the league.

the question is... if you’re the Bucks moving forward, would you rather be the Cavs, who are lost and back to being atrocious or be proactive like the Pacers, who knew their superstar wasn’t coming back and was able to rebuild immediately by trading him?

again, if they’re able to deal for Chris Paul and think they can make the team better and make one legit run at the title, I get it. But bringing this same team back, one thats now brought diminishing returns, in a better Eastern Conference next year seems like an exercise in futility both in the present and future.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if he hasn’t signed a super max extension this off-season, it’s pretty clear he isn’t staying.

we’ve seen clear evidence of that the last four years with KD (twice), LeBron and Kawhi. When the best player in the game doesn’t commit to you, there’s a high likelihood they’re gone at this point in the league.

the question is... if you’re the Bucks moving forward, would you rather be the Cavs, who are lost and back to being atrocious or be proactive like the Pacers, who knew their superstar wasn’t coming back and was able to rebuild immediately by trading him?

again, if they’re able to deal for Chris Paul and think they can make the team better and make one legit run at the title, I get it. But bringing this same team back, one thats now brought diminishing returns, in a better Eastern Conference next year seems like an exercise in futility both in the present and future.

I get all this, but this is a guy who is the best player in the NBA and, prior to the shutdown, his team had the best record in the NBA. Unless that guy makes it clear he will not return... I just don't see how a franchise, especially one like Milwaukee, can justify trading the best player in the league while they are a contender and without him demanding it.

If we were in Milwaukee's situation I have no doubt that we'd be saying that even one year of title contention is more appealing than a long term rebuild or slipping back into mediocrity.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has it been mentioned here that Billy Donovan and OKC split? That is weird. They absolutely blew away expectations this year. They had a great season and I think he's been a really good coach there, dealing with weird, fluctuating rosters and some difficult personalities in the locker room. You look at their roster and they had no business pushing for 50+ wins.

Just strange.

I've felt for a while now that Sam Presti is overrated and that OKC has really lousy ownership. Next season will be a big one for them... they will probably trade Chris Paul, making him the like... 5th superstar they've lost, leaving them with zero stars. No where for Presti to hide anymore, he pissed away what should have been a dynasty.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reports of late say it’s an “open secret” that Miami and Toronto are the front runners to sign Giannis in free agency. Totally speculative, of course. Giannis has a connection to Masai Ujiri, who also tried to trade up for him in the draft. Toronto can make it work financially because Siakam and Powell (player option) are the only Raptors probable for the 2021 roster. There are other reasons why Toronto might be appealing (diverse, has a historic Greektown, etc.) but those tend to be floated by Raptors fans and media, true as they might be.

The Bucks are in a tough spot. Giannis saying he won’t demand a trade is good, but also because it might allow them to quietly ask him where he would want to go. Toronto doesn’t have the pieces to trade. Miami maybe, but Herro would have to be one of them; maybe Bam too. Both Toronto and Miami are Eastern Conference as well, so maybe the Suns have that advantage in addition to flexibility with trade packages.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the 2019-20 NBA All Defensive Teams:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Key dates are pushed back in the NBA such as the draft, free agency and start date for next season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has it been mentioned here that Billy Donovan and OKC split? That is weird. They absolutely blew away expectations this year. They had a great season and I think he's been a really good coach there, dealing with weird, fluctuating rosters and some difficult personalities in the locker room. You look at their roster and they had no business pushing for 50+ wins.

Just strange.

I've felt for a while now that Sam Presti is overrated and that OKC has really lousy ownership. Next season will be a big one for them... they will probably trade Chris Paul, making him the like... 5th superstar they've lost, leaving them with zero stars. No where for Presti to hide anymore, he pissed away what should have been a dynasty.

I think it’s pretty clear it was Donovan’s choice not to comeback. Who know with all the stuff going on in the world he might just want some time off to be with family.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Donovan should be highly sought over as a head coach.

Just strange.

It is surprising. Billy Donovan should be highly sought over as a head coach.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont be a dick. I'm just ensuing that could be the reason Donovan is leaving.

I wasn't trying to be a "dick" to you, I was supporting your comment. He has long had a reputation for being difficult to get along with. Like you, I don't know the reason but yeah, it could easily be due to the challenge of dealing with Chris Paul and the fallout from teammates.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Bucks get:
Ayton
Oubre
3 1st round draft picks unprotected

Suns get:
Giannis

it works money wise. If your the Bucks you gotta know he’s gone. I think a lot of the Bucks short coming are on coach Bud who’s D’Antoni East he just flat out refuses to make adjustments. Suns make it with an agreement he signs the super max

Booker 23
Giannis 25
Bridges 24

yikes

Thats Milwaukee taking a step waaaaay backwards. They couldn’t hang up the phone quick enough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats Milwaukee taking a step waaaaay backwards. They couldn’t hang up the phone quick enough.

as opposed to losing Giannis for nothing and then after next year having a big three of Middleton, Bledsoe and... Lopez?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

no

that’s as good an offer as anyone in the NBA will give them. They are going to lose him for nothing

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no

that’s as good an offer as anyone in the NBA will give them. They are going to lose him for nothing

I'm still not sure that's as good as anyone can offer. I think a deal around Bam, Herro and picks matches, if not possibly eclipses our offer. But ours would be right there with the best of them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
as opposed to losing Giannis for nothing and then after next year having a big three of Middleton, Bledsoe and... Lopez?

How is that "waaaaay" backwards?

no

You all are dealing with someone who said the Lakers wouldn't deal Kuzma or Lonzo for either Booker or Ayton just last season. Don't expect a reasonable reply.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As opposed to him leaving for nothing?
I'm still not sure that's as good as anyone can offer. I think a deal around Bam, Herro and picks matches, if not possibly eclipses our offer. But ours would be right there with the best of them.

Yeah, it really comes down to what their opinion of Ayton is. It's a huge gamble for the Suns to take if they have no assurance he will resign.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
How is that "waaaaay" backwards?
Ayton has his head screwed on backwards and Oubre is overvalued in the Phoenix market. In addition, I don’t believe the Suns are a big enough NBA market to swing that type of a deal.(Giannis has to agree to a new contract). The Miami deal is already better and there would be multiple future offers from other teams... and I really don’t see the Bucks letting him go. I guess it’s fun to imagine though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave