WK 1 Arizona Cardinals @ SF 49ers pre game thread 9/06/20-09/12/20

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m really nervous about who’s gonna get consistent pressure with Chandler going to war with Trent Will.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
are you a direct tv customer? i've always said that i would pay the cost for sunday ticket every year, i just don't want to switch to direct tv to do it. for some reason i'm not eligible for the sunday ticket "to go" option.
Yes. I am a directv customer.

I didn't get the free Sunday ticket email. I have been with direct for 4 years.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SF Is banged up and extremely thin at LB and WR.

They only have Sherman to match up with Hopkins, which should open things up for Fitz and Kirk (with Isabella or Benj to take the top off).

With Samuels out, they're down to Bourne and at WR.

Biggest challenge: Containing Kittle. Who we give that assignment to (Simmons?) will be key.

They added T Williams to the OL to protect Jimmy G

I think this is a winnable game. Big question of the weekend: Are we as good as we think we are?
i don't think 2020 sherman can hang with hopkins, this will be interesting. as long as the cardinals offense is prepared, they should be able to put up points

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
TEs ate us up. Hopefully we have the depth to address that against the Niners this year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the timing of this sets up well for the Cards.

Week 1 is highly unpredictable even in regular seasons -- more so this year.

Week 1 is a really good week to be a heavy road underdog

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
TEs ate us up. Hopefully we have the depth to address that against the Niners this year.

directly related to bad personnel (Suggs primarily) forcing guys that couldn’t do stuff being asked to do that stuff, and lack of pressure allowing slower TE route trees to develop.

Brett Kollmann has a good video on this.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
are you a direct tv customer? i've always said that i would pay the cost for sunday ticket every year, i just don't want to switch to direct tv to do it. for some reason i'm not eligible for the sunday ticket "to go" option.
I'm not a DirecTV customer, but I'm eligible for the mobile app....this will be my 2nd year with it. Playing on the Roku.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
SF Is banged up and extremely thin at LB and WR.

They only have Sherman to match up with Hopkins, which should open things up for Fitz and Kirk (with Isabella or Benj to take the top off).

With Samuels out, they're down to Bourne and Aiyuk at WR.

Biggest challenge: Containing Kittle. Who we give that assignment to (Simmons?) will be key.

They added T Williams to the OL to protect Jimmy G

I think this is a winnable game. Big question of the weekend: Are we as good as we think we are?
Debo was activated today.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remember reading we did do much live tackling this offseason. Did we do any? Genuinely don't know. Maybe I'm being paranoid but watching BYU slaughter Navy (who didnt do any live tackling) is making me nervous about our preparation.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trent Williams on facing Chandler Jones: “He’s a rusher with it all”

Trent Williams hasn’t played a football game since December of 2018 after sitting out all of last year in a dispute with the Washington Football Team. In his first game back on the field with the San Francisco 49ers this weekend, Williams draws one of the league’s best pass rushers in Arizona’s Chandler Jones to test just how rusty he may or may not be.

I turned the film on back in April when I looked at the schedule and saw Arizona was our opener,” Williams said, via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area. “Me and him have had some epic battles and we went back and forth a few times. So there’s a lot of tape for me to study on me and him in our matchups.”

Jones and Williams have faced off three times in their careers. Per Maiocco, Jones got one sack against Williams when Williams himself accidentally dislodged a football from Alex Smith‘s grasp in a 2018 meeting between Washington and the Cardinals.
Jones’s 19 sacks last season for the Cardinals were just a half sack behind Shaquil Barrett for the most in the league in 2019. He led the league in sacks in 2017 with 17 sacks and hasn’t had fewer than 11 sacks in any of his four seasons in Arizona. His 60 sacks over the last four seasons are the most in the NFL and eight clear of Aaron Donald‘s 52 sacks over that span.

Williams knows that Jones presents one of the stiffest tests in the league for an offensive tackle to handle.

“I didn’t waste any time. I just started to go over it again,” Williams said. “It’s kind of frustrating because he’s a rusher with it all, so no matter how much you study him there’s still that X-factor that he can get you with. That’s what makes him so good.”

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trent Williams on facing Chandler Jones: “He’s a rusher with it all”

Trent Williams hasn’t played a football game since December of 2018 after sitting out all of last year in a dispute with the Washington Football Team. In his first game back on the field with the San Francisco 49ers this weekend, Williams draws one of the league’s best pass rushers in Arizona’s Chandler Jones to test just how rusty he may or may not be.

I turned the film on back in April when I looked at the schedule and saw Arizona was our opener,” Williams said, via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area. “Me and him have had some epic battles and we went back and forth a few times. So there’s a lot of tape for me to study on me and him in our matchups.”

Jones and Williams have faced off three times in their careers. Per Maiocco, Jones got one sack against Williams when Williams himself accidentally dislodged a football from Alex Smith‘s grasp in a 2018 meeting between Washington and the Cardinals.
Jones’s 19 sacks last season for the Cardinals were just a half sack behind Shaquil Barrett for the most in the league in 2019. He led the league in sacks in 2017 with 17 sacks and hasn’t had fewer than 11 sacks in any of his four seasons in Arizona. His 60 sacks over the last four seasons are the most in the NFL and eight clear of Aaron Donald‘s 52 sacks over that span.

Williams knows that Jones presents one of the stiffest tests in the league for an offensive tackle to handle.

“I didn’t waste any time. I just started to go over it again,” Williams said. “It’s kind of frustrating because he’s a rusher with it all, so no matter how much you study him there’s still that X-factor that he can get you with. That’s what makes him so good.”

Doesn't bode well does it. 3 games and 1 sack.

The Niners interior is poor this week. We need Jordan Philips and the interior to step up.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Doesn't bode well does it. 3 games and 1 sack.

The Niners interior is poor this week. We need Jordan Philips and the interior to step up.
Can Peters and/or Phillips lockout toward the tackles, to help free CJ at the snap?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m expecting a physical game. I think the Niners will use frequent 2 TE formations. Simmons will do his best on Kittle, but no rookie will shut him down totally. The best hope is for the Cards is they hold him down somewhat. Not sure who gets Reed but likely it falls to Murphy.

I’m curious to see how they use Campbell. I can’t believe they rotate him with Simmons. If they do, expect the Niners to audible to Kittle. Campbell cannot cover him. Maybe with Baker over the top they could contain him but that isolates a CB. Campbell could cover Reed, but surely they don’t pull Hicks. I know they’ve said the want Simmons only at ILB but it wouldn’t shock me if they’ve got some wrinkle with all three in the game against a 2 TE formation. If they do Phillips will have to create enough pressure up the middle to give Jones the opportunity to harass the QB. I’m thinking the Niners will likely only generate 20 points.

Can the Cards score more? It will be tough. First play: fake play action to Drake then hit him with a short pass. Beyond that I’m rotating Kirk and Isabella every third play or so. Isabella’s job is to take his coverage deep constantly. This early they should tire and Kirk can take advantage. If the Niners can be forced to zone, they should be vulnerable to KK’s creative passing game.

I think the SF defense will bend rather than break. Unless the line can keep Murray clean, I think the Niners squeeze out a 20-17 win.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson