Official Cuts/Practice Squad Thread

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butler can't even make the practice squad. 10 cent head

I said he was dead last on the WR depth chart and the fact they signed every single other WR to the PS over him seems to agree.
Sad to see him fall so far.

It all points to work ethics.

Someone with all that talent and they don't want to put in the effort and extra work to succeed.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sad to see him fall so far.

It all points to work ethics.

Someone with all that talent and they don't want to put in the effort and extra work to succeed.

Yup. Dude didn't put the effort in. He was behind everyone last year because they put him on IR for the season for a broken finger which you can easily come back from in 6-8 weeks. They could have IR'd him after cuts so he could come back but they didn't.

They wanted to see him use that time to go away hit the gym, workout with some ex pros and improve him game. He didn't do any of that.

I said weeks ago he actually looked in worse shape this camp than he did last year. Didn't look like he worked out much at all in the off season.

To me, he doesn't love football. You look at the Twitter feeds of Isabella and Keesean and it's all football and the grind and wanting to be great. Hakeem's twitter is movies, music, weird crap and the occasional retweet of a PFF stat that mentions him.

His pinned tweet from 3 weeks ago is "You can’t hold me accountable for your expectations of me...I’m me!" which to me sounds like "The team are saying I'm not working hard enough but I have natural talent".

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t like the pick and he definitely wasn’t underrated.

Same.

And really this is why I always hate post draft fandom. We all do it, it's natural to be excited about the potential but so many of them bust out. Especially when Keim is doing the drafting.

I recall how pumped everyone was after last years draft. It's was the "PFF draft" where Byron Murphy was top 6 on their board and they had Isabella as a 1st round pick. They had Zach Allen at #40 and we picked him up at #65. They had Butler at #42 and we got him at #104 or something. They had Deionte Thompson at #66 and we got him at #145 or so.

The only 2 players from that draft that have lived up to or exceeded expectations is Kyler and Keesean Johnson (because you don't expect anything from 6th round guys).

Murphy looked awful. Isabella could barely get a snap. Allen looked poor before injury. Butler is a washout and Thompson got supplanted by a supplemental 5th round pick in camp.

There's still room to go but you want to see more out of so many picks in year 1. So far all but 1 of our first 6 picks have been poor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on Jordan Thomas.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is still out there.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Really glad to see that we didn't lose out on Ward, Whitacre, & Weaver.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I was really hopeful for him too. When did the Cardinals relationship with him sour?
I think their initial disappointment was obvious, when they IRd him last year for a broken hand, without the possibility to return.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Butler is the guy that has always relied on his natural physical attributes, not hard work. He barely played HS ball, it took him 2 years to get into the Cyclones team. And once he got to the NFL and everyone is a freak he just doesn't have the work rate to succeed.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butler is the guy that has always relied on his natural physical attributes, not hard work. He barely played HS ball, it took him 2 years to get into the Cyclones team. And once he got to the NFL and everyone is a freak he just doesn't have the work rate to succeed.
Without that hard work the other players will be a level above and he has no chance to make it.

You have to want to succeed to make it work. There is a line in the NFL that you must step above.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Without that hard work the other players will be a level above and he has no chance to make it.

You have to want to succeed to make it work. There is a line in the NFL that you must step above.

Nobody has even put them on their PS. He worked out for the Jets yesterday but so far no signing.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I was really hopeful for him too. When did the Cardinals relationship with him sour?
But who says it soured?

Most often in these situations it's because a person excels at a certain level and never realize that the next level requires much more effort and dedication.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But who says it soured?

Most often in these situations it's because a person excels at a certain level and never realize that the next level requires much more effort and dedication.

Honestly there was probably nothing more he could have done.

Just didnt have the instinctual ability

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know it happens, but it's hard for me to understand that a player with talent would not work his butt off to play in the NFL.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Really glad to see that we didn't lose out on Ward, Whitacre, & Weaver.

Well,

It comes down to institutional knowledge, and positions where we may have a long-term need.

Weaver is (IMO) the perfect guy to backup Hicks long term. And with his injury history, that could be by week 6 this season. It also ensures that Campbell is kept in the position he is best at (WILB) currently.

Whitakker - We need CB's. It's that simple. He has been learning our defense over the last month and is further ahead than any other similarly priced UDFA we could have found.

Ward - Sentimental pick here. I think the kid has some juice and is perfect for the slot if he can pick it up mentally. Kirk & Andy will need backups wont they?

Chris Jones, DJ Foster, & Bullard seem destined for a call up if the ish hits the fan also.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it happens, but it's hard for me to understand that a player with talent would not work his butt off to play in the NFL.

Often thats exactly why. Cruised on talent, especially at a smaller college like Iowa. They think talent is all it takes and never build the work ethic.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Often thats exactly why. Cruised on talent, especially at a smaller college like Iowa. They think talent is all it takes and never build the work ethic.

Iowa State isn't exactly a small college, it's a division 1 school in a power conference. They may not be a powerhouse program but it isn't like he was playing at a FCS school. Lot's of college athletes no matter where they play get by on pure athletic ability and never pan out in the NFL for a variety of reasons. Butler is at a crossroads where either he uses this as motivation to change or he disappears from the football world, it's up to him because physically he is capable of playing in the NFL it is a question of how mentally strong he is and how much he wants it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave