• Kira Lewis jr

• Aleksej Pokusevski

• Other (put name in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Right Now I want a shot blocking rebounder for a big. When Ayton gets into foul trouble, it is problems for our squad.

We need one at the 4 whether Ayton is in foul trouble or not...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right Now I want a shot blocking rebounder for a big. When Ayton gets into foul trouble, it is problems for our squad.

We are seeing it much the same way. I'm more concerned about reliable defensive minded, rebounding depth behind Ayton than a traditional starting power forward beside him.

The Suns can rotate forwards with Oubre, Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson and perhaps another forward to be drafted who can play some power forward.

The Suns do need someone who can play defense behind Ayton... maybe a couple players.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We are seeing it much the same way. I'm more concerned about reliable defensive minded, rebounding depth behind Ayton than a traditional starting power forward beside him.

The Suns can rotate forwards with Oubre, Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson and perhaps another forward to be drafted who can play some power forward.

The Suns do need someone who can play defense behind Ayton... maybe a couple players.

They need someone who can rebound and play defense WITH Ayton. Relying on Ayton to take care of the interior by himself is in part what is causing him to get into foul trouble and is stunting the development of his offensive game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need someone who can rebound and play defense WITH Ayton. Relying on Ayton to take care of the interior by himself is in part what is causing him to get into foul trouble and is stunting the development of his offensive game.

That's why you have Bridges and Oubre as starters next to Ayton. Cam Johnson shows nice promise off the bench and another wing that can play the 4 would strengthen the position even more. I'm hoping to keep Saric.

I'm not opposed to adding a power forward in the draft but I'm saying it's not necessary to reach. Look at what the Heat are doing with Bam. Certainly if there is a player like a Siakam n the draft, you grab him.

Defensive minded 4/5s behind Ayton would help a lot. A huge problem for the Suns was a lack of quality depth.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's why you have Bridges and Oubre as starters next to Ayton. Cam Johnson shows nice promise off the bench and another wing that can play the 4 would strengthen the position even more. I'm hoping to keep Saric.

I'm not opposed to adding a power forward in the draft but I'm saying it's not necessary to reach. Look at what the Heat are doing with Bam. Certainly if there is a player like a Siakam n the draft, you grab him.

Defensive minded 4/5s behind Ayton would help a lot. A huge problem for the Suns was a lack of quality depth.

Neither Bridges nor Oubre can provide the defense and rebounding needed to avoid Ayton being alone on an island on the interior, which I maintain is a problem.

I am okay with Cam backing up at the 4 next to a defensive and rebounding center and Bridges or Oubre backing up at the 3 (with the other starting).

That is why I maintain that our priorities, in order, should be:

1. Starting Power Forward, who can defend and rebound, and who is enough of an offensive threat to keep opposing defenses honest.

2. Back-up shooting guard, who can generate scoring off the bench when Booker is not in the game.

3. Defensive rebounding center to back up Ayton.

If a point guard of the future is available, then sure, we should consider that. However, I don't see anyone at 10 in this draft who has greater promise in that role than Jevon Carter, or at least greater enough to warrant not addressing one of our top 3 needs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither Bridges nor Oubre can provide the defense and rebounding needed to avoid Ayton being alone on an island on the interior, which I maintain is a problem.

I am okay with Cam backing up at the 4 next to a defensive and rebounding center and Bridges or Oubre backing up at the 3 (with the other starting).

1. Starting Power Forward, who can defend and rebound, and who is enough of an offensive threat to keep opposing defenses honest.

2. Back-up shooting guard, who can generate scoring off the bench when Booker is not in the game.

If a point guard of the future is available, then sure, we should consider that. However, I don't see anyone at 10 in this draft who has greater promise in that role than Jevon Carter, or at least greater enough to warrant not addressing one of our top 3 needs.

I've wanted a prototypical power forward most of last season when the right answer might be to add the best forward and guards available (draft, trade and free agency).

Too often we get caught up in labels. Really the team that got me thinking more about it is the Celtics. They are playing Theis and Robert Williams at center yet surrounding them with shooters and good defensive players. The Suns could do something like this.

Yes, we need to improve at forward and guard but defensive role players behind Ayton might work. Our backup centers do not necessary have to spread the court if we put shooters around them. The backup centers could be good rebounders and defensive players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were up to Suns Twitter the pick would be Devin Vassell.

I'm not sure if this would be my pick but I've been preparing myself for the Suns to add another wing especially since it's been so quiet concerning Oubre.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this would be my pick but I've been preparing myself for the Suns to add another wing especially since it's been so quiet concerning Oubre.

IF the Suns go that route, an Oubre for Gordon trade makes all the sense in the world.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF the Suns go that route, an Oubre for Gordon trade makes all the sense in the world.

The Suns would have to give up a first round pick as well, but that trade seems more unlikely with the injury to Isaac.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ayton needs to be alone on an island on the interior. It is NOT a problem. Teams with multiple interior bigs get exploited on both ends.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton needs to be alone on an island on the interior. It is NOT a problem. Teams with multiple interior bigs get exploited on both ends.

The Lakers (McGee/Davis), Clippers (Zubac/Morris/Harrell), Bucks (Giannis/Brook Lopez), Heat (Adebayo/Leonard), Raptors (Gasol/Siakam), Nuggets (Jokic/Millsap), Pacers (Turner/Sabonis), and Sixers (Embiid/Horford) don't.

The only exceptions among the contenders are the Celtics, which run a special system under Stevens and are built around an All-Star point guard and other-worldly wings, and the Rockets, which run an even more gimmicky system under Mike D'Antoni and have the best starting guard tandem (with two MVPs) in the NBA.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers (McGee/Davis), Clippers (Zubac/Morris/Harrell), Bucks (Giannis/Brook Lopez), Heat (Adebayo/Leonard), Raptors (Gasol/Siakam), Nuggets (Jokic/Millsap), Pacers (Turner/Sabonis), and Sixers (Embiid/Horford) don't.

The only exceptions among the contenders are the Celtics, which run a special system under Stevens and are built around an All-Star point guard and other-worldly wings, and the Rockets, which run an even more gimmicky system under Mike D'Antoni and have the best starting guard tandem (with two MVPs) in the NBA.

Pretty much every combination you just listed, one or both of them are good outside shooters. Furthermore, a TON of those guys are NOT interior players, they are wingers.

And, hilariously, you listed Meyers Leonard... who isn't even in Miami's rotation. Given Adebayo's skill set one could easily argue they have zero traditional big in their lineup.

And yes, the Sixers absolutely get exploited on both ends. Their push for size has killed what was a promising contender a few years back.

Pairing Ayton with a true interior player is a recipe for suck.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much every combination you just listed, one or both of them are good outside shooters. Furthermore, a TON of those guys are NOT interior players, they are wingers.

And, hilariously, you listed Meyers Leonard... who isn't even in Miami's rotation. Given Adebayo's skill set one could easily argue they have zero traditional big in their lineup.

And yes, the Sixers absolutely get exploited on both ends. Their push for size has killed what was a promising contender a few years back.

And not just the sixers, most of those big man combinations have been exploited by opposing teams. I think too many fans here are watching 90's NBA reruns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love reruns. Give me the 60' and 70's. Wait, were talking bb, not tv.

I love shows from the 50's through the 70's but it's mostly for the comedies (Get Smart, Jack Benny show etc.) and variety shows (Dean Martin, Laugh-in etc.). For the hour long dramas, action and sci-fi shows though, I'll stick with shows from the past 20 years or so.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I am not saying we should ignore the need for spacing on offense, which is why I mention the power forward needing needing enough of an offensive game to keep opposing defenses honest.

But in my opinion, pairing Ayton with four players, none of whom can rebound, block shots or bang inside, is a recipe for even bigger suck, especially on the defensive end.

And we don't have the multiple shot creators and initiators to replicate Boston's system or the sheer talent to replicate Houston's system (which is destined to fail in the playoffs, anyway, as we saw 15 years ago).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It amazes me that the Rockets can get by with Robert Covington as their primary big man and he is just 6'7". It tells me that defense is more than size. The same applies to the Heat and Celtics. They are not that big either. Sure the Heat have Bam but that's only one player.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not saying we should ignore the need for spacing on offense, which is why I mention the power forward needing needing enough of an offensive game to keep opposing defenses honest.

But in my opinion, pairing Ayton with four players, none of whom can rebound, block shots or bang inside, is a recipe for even bigger suck, especially on the defensive end.

And we don't have the multiple shot creators and initiators to replicate Boston's system or the sheer talent to replicate Houston's system (which is destined to fail in the playoffs, anyway, as we saw 15 years ago).

When Ayton was in the game our rebounding ratio and, especially, our defense was strong.

We need a backup for Ayton, we don't need someone who clogs up the lane along side him.

With Ayton alone we are not running anything like Houston or Boston. Nothing about Ayton, Bridges and Oubre is gimmicky, not in today's NBA.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When Ayton was in the game our rebounding ratio and, especially, our defense was strong.

We need a backup for Ayton, we don't need someone who clogs up the lane along side him.

With Ayton alone we are not running anything like Houston or Boston. Nothing about Ayton, Bridges and Oubre is gimmicky, not in today's NBA.

And yet every contender other than Houston and Boston has a natural 4 and 5 in the starting line-up...

(And even with Miami recently moving Leonard to the bench, their front court remains Adebayo at 6'9", 255 lbs., Crowder at 6'6", 235 lbs. and Butler at 6'7", 230 lbs., meaning they can bang with just about anyone. The Suns, on the other hand, have Ayton at 6'11", 250 lbs., and their next heaviest starter would be 210 lbs. or less. That is a sure recipe to get bullied inside and into foul trouble, unless they go gimmicky like Boston or Houston.)

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet every contender other than Houston and Boston has a natural 4 and 5 in the starting line-up...

(And even with Miami recently moving Leonard to the bench, their front court remains Adebayo at 6'9", 255 lbs., Crowder at 6'6", 235 lbs. and Butler at 6'7", 230 lbs., meaning they can bang with just about anyone. The Suns, on the other hand, have Ayton at 6'11", 250 lbs., and their next heaviest starter would be 210 lbs. or less. That is a sure recipe to get bullied inside and into foul trouble, unless they go gimmicky like Boston or Houston.)

... That Miami lineup is smaller than ours, no matter how you slice it.

Your points are antiquated and, most importantly, they flat out REQUIRE whoever plays power forward to be a really really good outside shooter... basically, not an interior player.

You mention teams with multiple big men in the lineup... but they also feature players like Kawhi, Lebron or Giannis. Those guys, and their ability to play almost any role, defend anyone and cover for warts in the lineup. If we could get a guy like that... GREAT, but I don't see any on the market or at our draft slot.

A traditional interior power forward, the "shot blocking defensive, rebounder, who plays inside"... that guy playing alongside Ayton will make us WORSE, not better.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... That Miami lineup is smaller than ours, no matter how you slice it.

Your points are antiquated and, most importantly, they flat out REQUIRE whoever plays power forward to be a really really good outside shooter... basically, not an interior player.

You mention teams with multiple big men in the lineup... but they also feature players like Kawhi, Lebron or Giannis. Those guys, and their ability to play almost any role, defend anyone and cover for warts in the lineup. If we could get a guy like that... GREAT, but I don't see any on the market or at our draft slot.

A traditional interior power forward, the "shot blocking defensive, rebounder, who plays inside"... that guy playing alongside Ayton will make us WORSE, not better.

The success of playing Oube and Bridges together at forward tends to prove it. And then later on, Bridges and Cam Johnson were successful playing together.

Almost to emphasize it, Saric played the best coming off the bench.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The thing about Cam and probably Oubre and Bridges, is that they’re capable of being exploited by teams with really good big strong wings. Or even teams with like Millsap types.

I do think the Suns need a big and/or long and bigger than what we got wing/big to deal with players like Butler/Tatum/Siakim/Zion etc.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The thing about Cam and probably Oubre and Bridges, is that they’re capable of being exploited by teams with really good big strong wings. Or even teams with like Millsap types.

I do think the Suns need a big and/or long and bigger than what we got wing/big to deal with players like Butler/Tatum/Siakim/Zion etc.

Length isn't a problem with our wings. It's girth/strength, as even the Jimmy Butler type wings have 25-30 pounds on ours...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Unless he plays Power Forward on defense, as much as he hangs out on the perimeter.

With a bulky, rather than tall, defender covering the post on defense.