Official Cuts/Practice Squad Thread

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
You should do more research before getting personal with me, as I back my stuff up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...long-does-the-average-draft-pick-stick-around

Not sure why you’re choosing to die on the hill of being ok with a fourth-round pick playing zero snaps, but it’s an interesting one, especially since this is Keim’s second fourth-round whiff in three drafts.

As a fan, you should expect that Keim be at least within the average range for draft success, but he hasn’t been. This is well chronicled
But you are too focused on the numbers.

Butler fell in the draft and Keim decided that a 4th rounder was the correct “price” for a flyer on him. He didn’t work out and Keim took his loses quickly. Sure it sucks that the 4th rounder could have been used on player that would have been on the team now, but Keesean and Isabella are getting great reviews in camp, so Butler lost out to better draftpicks.

All part of the game.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
But you are too focused on the numbers.

Butler fell in the draft and Keim decided that a 4th rounder was the correct “price” for a flyer on him. He didn’t work out and Keim took his loses quickly. Sure it sucks that the 4th rounder could have been used on player that would have been on the team now, but Keesean and Isabella are getting great reviews in camp, so Butler lost out to better draftpicks.

All part of the game.
The numbers matter when they represent a much longer trend of our GM struggling.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He'd have made the team if we didn't get Hopkins. Would that be better?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Streveler is a Taysom Hill type. Maybe not as good (we'll see), but he'll provide an extra dimension where he and Kyler can potentially both be back there.

Here's two things I can 100% guarantee you.

1, Streveler is not a "Tayson Hill type". He just isn't. He never has been and he never will be. The guy has caught one 4 yard pass his whole college and pro career.

2, He's not a good QB. He had 1 season over 2000 yards in college and Pro's and was a backup in the CFL.

I really don't get why fans are so hyped over this guy. He's a no mark. He's a poor QB (by NFL standards) who can run a bit.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For sure this isn't the final roster.

CB's are too low for one. OL is too high. No need to keep Streveler on the 53. I can see several moves coming the next few days.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He'd have made the team if we didn't get Hopkins. Would that be better?

He wouldn't. Pretty sure he was rank last in the WR room. Thats why he was the first WR cut. They would have kept Ward and Dixon over him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For sure this isn't the final roster.

CB's are too low for one. OL is too high. No need to keep Streveler on the 53. I can see several moves coming the next few days.

Do you have any thoughts why the Cardinals kept Streveler over a cornerback or some other player they want to bring back on the practice squad?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you have any thoughts why the Cardinals kept Streveler over a cornerback or some other player they want to bring back on the practice squad?
I wouldn't be shocked if the Cards made as many as a dozen moves that would significantly change the total number of players at a given position.

If true, it might mean that SK and KK aren't overly concerned with total CBs or total OLs because they plan to use free agency to shuffle the bottom 5 - 10 roster spots anyway.

I think they're using as much time as they need to evaluate their surplus O-linemen, and they'll settle on a lower roster total in a week or so.

Same (in reverse) with CBs - I think they have a plan - & that they plan to end up with more than 3 DBs when the dust finally settles.

At least, that's what I hope.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked if the Cards made as many as a dozen moves that would significantly change the total number of players at a given position.

If true, it might mean that SK and KK aren't overly concerned with total CBs or total OLs because they plan to use free agency to shuffle the bottom 5 - 10 roster spots anyway.

I think they're using as much time as they need to evaluate their surplus O-linemen, and they'll settle on a lower roster total in a week or so.

Same (in reverse) with CBs - I think they have a plan - & that they plan to end up with more than 3 DBs when the dust finally settles.

At least, that's what I hope.

It always amazes me how much shuffling goes on after teams waive players. I'd think teams would be more settled on their roster at this stage. Sometimes it feels like kids trading sports cards. All that scouting and here we are!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Here's two things I can 100% guarantee you.

1, Streveler is not a "Tayson Hill type". He just isn't. He never has been and he never will be. The guy has caught one 4 yard pass his whole college and pro career.

2, He's not a good QB. He had 1 season over 2000 yards in college and Pro's and was a backup in the CFL.

I really don't get why fans are so hyped over this guy. He's a no mark. He's a poor QB (by NFL standards) who can run a bit.
1. Every time someone is interviewed about him or discusses him, Taysom Hill comes up. So, whether or not he's as effective as Hill or has a slightly different skill set is yet to be seen, but no matter how much you screech they have nothing in common, the team feels differently. He has a lot more in common with Hill than say, Derek Anderson.

2. And he's a backup here.

Listen, we understand you hate the guy for whatever reason, but it's obvious we have him on the 53 because there are packages that include him in a role on the field that has nothing to do with how many QBs are hurt. He can't execute those plays from the practice squad.

I'll guarantee you, if Kyler is healthy for all 16 games, Streveler will far outsnap Hundley in meaningful game action.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1. Every time someone is interviewed about him or discusses him, Taysom Hill comes up. So, whether or not he's as effective as Hill or has a slightly different skill set is yet to be seen, but no matter how much you screech they have nothing in common, the team feels differently. He has a lot more in common with Hill than say, Derek Anderson.

Listen, we understand you hate the guy for whatever reason, but it's obvious we have him on the 53 because there are packages that include him in a role on the field that has nothing to do with how many QBs are hurt. He can't execute those plays from the practice squad.

I'll guarantee you, if Kyler is healthy for all 16 games, Streveler will far outsnap Hundley in meaningful game action.

He will also play on teams and he has the athletic profile to excel there.

I think the concept for Streveler is that he can help out as a "joker" player. Is he going to throw? Is he going to run a reverse? Take a hand off? A pitch? Run a route?

He can add these elements while also developing as a solid back up QB. I like the move.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't hate him. I have no opinion on him than the one everyone should have which is "Why are we wasting a roster spot of a no mark Canadian backup?"

All this "Im glad he made the roster" and "he's the next Taysom Hill" is Walter Mitchell levels of delusion.

And like the nobodies Mitch eulogizes over I'd be surprised if he stays on the 53 and if he does I'll be surprised he ever sees a match day and in 2 years we will barely remember him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The final 53 is very rarely the final 53. 100% they will bring in another CB at least and Streveler is one that might make way.

I always wonder if teams keep back 2 or 3 players they want to make sure don't get poached so they let people make their initial moves and them waive them to PS a few days later.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The final 53 is very rarely the final 53. 100% they will bring in another CB at least and Streveler is one that might make way.

I always wonder if teams keep back 2 or 3 players they want to make sure don't get poached so they let people make their initial moves and them waive them to PS a few days later.

It sounds like the Cardinals see something in Streveler even if he ends up on the practice squad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA