Cobra Kai (Netflix)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, I had a bit of insomnia last night and binge the second half of season 1. Were we supposed to care who won that final match? One character they had turned a little bit into a jerk and the other character literally had no character whatsoever... just seemed like a Jonathan Brandeis wannabe, with no arc or anything interesting about him. I get that they were... I guess... proxies for Johnny and Daniel, but if Daniel was self-aware at all, wouldn't he see how many disastrous things happened to Johnny because of him since the show began? His daughter was involved in a hit and run on Johnny's car, he then got Johnny's rent doubled for no reason, his cousin then attacked Johnny and blew up his car and as far as Johnny knew, from all appearances, Daniel was teaching his son karate.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
so, I had a bit of insomnia last night and binge the second half of season 1. Were we supposed to care who won that final match? One character they had turned a little bit into a jerk and the other character literally had no character whatsoever... just seemed like a Jonathan Brandeis wannabe, with no arc or anything interesting about him. I get that they were... I guess... proxies for Johnny and Daniel, but if Daniel was self-aware at all, wouldn't he see how many disastrous things happened to Johnny because of him since the show began? His daughter was involved in a hit and run on Johnny's car, he then got Johnny's rent doubled for no reason, his cousin then attacked Johnny and blew up his car and as far as Johnny knew, from all appearances, Daniel was teaching his son karate.
Because Daniel is a jerk! We just didn’t know it all this time because we were tricked!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Daniel is a jerk! We just didn’t know it all this time because we were tricked!

i get it... but the end of the season seemed like it was written for people to feel sympathetic for him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i get it... but the end of the season seemed like it was written for people to feel sympathetic for him.
I think the writers are either having fun ping ponging everyone between which side they want to take or doing an entertaining job of doing so accidentally.

I did enjoy how they showed if the original karate kid could’ve been viewed through johnny’s perspective we might’ve thought differently about the two of them (until a whole pack if cobra Kais kicked the crap outta a single kid).

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of this feels like a long Three's Company episode where miscommunication drives the whole thing. I still love it. o_O

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes last night. Definitely nostalgic. Digging it so far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of this feels like a long Three's Company episode where miscommunication drives the whole thing. I still love it. o_O

The Three’s Company of it all annoys the crap out of me as a writer. Feels lazy.
Also Johnny’s kid has the acting chops of a piece of cardboard.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes last night. Definitely nostalgic. Digging it so far.
Me too, got through first three episodes last night. Johnny is a prick but I find myself rooting for him because he's an underdog and his life is pathetic. I mean come on, he let his life go to crap because he couldn't get over a local karate tournament he lost 35 years ago.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too, got through first three episodes last night. Johnny is a prick but I find myself rooting for him because he's an underdog and his life is pathetic. I mean come on, he let his life go to crap because he couldn't get over a local karate tournament he lost 35 years ago.

Yeah. It is almost like the jock in HS that never got his life together because he always thought life was going to go his way.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Three’s Company of it all annoys the crap out of me as a writer. Feels lazy.
Also Johnny’s kid has the acting chops of a piece of cardboard.

No kidding! I'm not too impressed with Daniel's daughter either. You've got to figure casting starts with "can you Karate", and then they have to pick from what's left.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No kidding! I'm not too impressed with Daniel's daughter either. You've got to figure casting starts with "can you Karate", and then they have to pick from what's left.

lol... this is probably partially true. to be honest, I think all kids are pretty bad except for Hawk and the main Cobra Kai kid. They at least provide those kids with layers to play with. The super nerdy guy is beyond freaking annoying. I mean... I WANT to see that kid's ass get kicked.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnny is great though. That's a really interesting character, a guy trying to change and do things the right way, but always battling his demons and letting the wrong creep in.

Daniel for the most part is just a douche for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Johnny is great though. That's a really interesting character, a guy trying to change and do things the right way, but always battling his demons and letting the wrong creep in.

Daniel for the most part is just a douche for me.
I thought both adults took similar routes in the series. By the end of season 2 I think both guys have taken big steps towards redemption. Literal redemption for Johnny and character redemption for Daniel.

As far as the kids are concerned, I know it’s not popular but acting wise I liked Miguel in season 1 but not 2. And they teased some depth to Hawk in one episode where they showed his mother, but he became a stereotypical bully in the next episode and every episode following. The only ones I could stomach through the entire run so far is Daniels daughter and her best friend.

The biggest thing against it is the stereotypical teenager stuff. It would be nice if they did something different. Hoping Season 3 gets them out of their comfort zone (they are doing that physically, so hope that’s a start).

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How have they done two seasons of Cobra Kai and not used Joe Esposito’s You’re The Best Around once?!

I mean, come on... that’s like criminal TV negligence.

they better be saving that for the mother of all moments in the show or the Pre-Lap in the last scene of the series before it smashes to black to hold out this long on using it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How have they done two seasons of Cobra Kai and not used Joe Esposito’s You’re The Best Around once?!

I mean, come on... that’s like criminal TV negligence.

they better be saving that for the mother of all moments in the show or the Pre-Lap in the last scene of the series before it smashes to black to hold out this long on using it.
Be careful what you wish for.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The last 15 minutes of Season 2 finale was nuts in a good way, very action packed.

Plots were telegraphed, I figured what was going to happen after the first 3 episodes.

One thing I thought was kind of bad form, Tommy's death. We all know Tommy for his infamous "get him a body bag" line with his trademark giggle. The scene putting him in a body bag was a little much given he passed away six months later in real life and he was obviously sick in that episode but if the man was okay with it then God bless him.

Mary Mouser who plays Daniel's daughter, is 24 years old, I thought she was really 16.

Read rumors that Chozen & Kumiko could be in Season 3 as story line supposedly has Daniel going back to Okinawa.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last 15 minutes of Season 2 finale was nuts in a good way, very action packed.

Plots were telegraphed, I figured what was going to happen after the first 3 episodes.

One thing I thought was kind of bad form, Tommy's death. We all know Tommy for his infamous "get him a body bag" line with his trademark giggle. The scene putting him in a body bag was a little much given he passed away six months later in real life and he was obviously sick in that episode but if the man was okay with it then God bless him.

Mary Mouser who plays Daniel's daughter, is 24 years old, I thought she was really 16.

Read rumors that Chozen & Kumiko could be in Season 3 as story line supposedly has Daniel going back to Okinawa.

the last fifteen minutes were ludicrous... a totally bonkers action set piece with a REALLY f’ed end that actually left me pretty stunned. Second season was better than the first.

And man... I didn’t even put two and two together with the get him a body bag thing. Good catch there.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m done with season 1 and I’ve started season 2. Johnny Lawrence is hilarious and seems like a guy just trying to do right

Daniel just seems like a real MITCH. He’s getting on my nerves

but I like what they’ve done with this and as mentioned earlier how the F have you not used Your the Best

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave