A little perspective on DeAndre Ayton

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm hoping DA puts the time and effort in the short off season to bulk up. Put in the effort in the weight room.
Stop looking for immature shortcuts that cost you and the team 25 games. He needs to work on his hands. Kid botched many
great bounce pass feeds during the bubble tourney.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
his defense was >>> from Y1 to Y2

took a big step towards being a top-10 NBA center this year.

I put up Ayton's 2019-20 season's stats to better evaluate his progress from year 1 to year 2.

It's something I hope we can revisit every season. I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

I will say I was hoping for a bigger jump in year 2 on defense especially in regard to rebounding and protecting the rim.

Ayton makes an impact on defense simply by his presence but he can be so much more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton's field goal percentage was slightly down but his free throw percentage improved a bit.

I'm sure the suspension impacted his season but perhaps he is taking more outside shots?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton's field goal percentage was slightly down but his free throw percentage improved a bit.

I'm sure the suspension impacted his season but perhaps he is taking more outside shots?

And he is almost never getting to the free throw line. He is playing like a shooting guard in a center's body.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Have no empirical evidence for this, but DA seemed to have big moments (esp on D) in last 3 min of close games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

“Slightly down?” The dip in FG% on his 2019-2020 volume amounts to a full point less per game. And very slight uptick in FT% was more than negated by his lower volume in earning FTs.

Other than his defense, I think offensively this was a regression, which was a big disappointment when coupled with his suspension causing them to miss the playoffs.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The fact he’s taking threes now more than offsets his lower FG% for overall team offensive success.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact he’s taking threes now more than offsets his lower FG% for overall team offensive success.

come on now. He took a total of what... ten all season?

he improved defensively (thank god) but is still a long way from anchoring the D. His offense didn’t really improve at all. He had to have made awful decisions which led to a 25 game suspension at the beginning of the year and spaced out late in the bubble forcing him to show up late to a crucial game as wee err trying to make the playoffs.

overall, not exactly the leap you’re hoping for from a number 1 pick in a really good draft. Hopefully next year he takes a big step forward in all areas.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Uh, did you guys watch the bubble?

He was taking 3s in the half court set. The fact that he IS WILLING TO do that opens up the floor a lot. Try to understand how our ORTG improved so much and consider WHAT CHANGED between pre and post bubble.

Volume and % are secondary to WILLINGNESS. That’s what makes the defense have to react.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The only issue with Ayton is between the ears. Whatever it will take to get him motivated and focused, I don't know. That's the question the Suns and Ayton have to solve. If they can do it, his (and the Suns') future will be through the roof.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh, did you guys watch the bubble?

He was taking 3s in the half court set. The fact that he IS WILLING TO do that opens up the floor a lot. Try to understand how our ORTG improved so much and consider WHAT CHANGED between pre and post bubble.

Volume and % are secondary to WILLINGNESS. That’s what makes the defense have to react.

i wish he had the willingness to dibble once or twice towards the rim and try to dunk it. I wish he had the willingness to finish strong instead of passing out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have no empirical evidence for this, but DA seemed to have big moments (esp on D) in last 3 min of close games.

Ayton does seem to play better in the final quarter. If true, it might mean he needs to work on his concentration earlier in the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton does seem to play better in the final quarter. If true, it might mean he needs to work on his concentration earlier in the game.

Last season was almost the opposite with him playing well in the first half and disappearing in the 2nd.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last season was almost the opposite with him playing well in the first half and disappearing in the 2nd.

If I had to choose, it would be playing well in the second half but hopefully this coming season he will play well both halves.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i wish he had the willingness to dibble once or twice towards the rim and try to dunk it. I wish he had the willingness to finish strong instead of passing out.

Yeah, he needs to face up and attack more. He needs to use counters and pump fakes. He needs to learn how to leverage the lower agility of the guys guarding him to draw fouls.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Please don't say 'passing out'. It would give him another excuse to get paid to miss time. :rolleyes:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton has an inconsistent motor. It was his knock in Tucson, it was his knock coming to the NBA, and it remains his knock.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Phoenix Mercury Center, Brittney Griner, is now MIA without an
explanation, which often means rehab. That would be two Phoenix
pro Centers missing time with no explanation this year, which often
mean
rehab. Letting down their community, team and fans due to
drugs.

A psychotic race-baiter in the White House looking to steal another
election with Russia's (and China, Iran and the Post Office's) help,

And pretending that a deadly virus will magically
disappear, making
us all prisoners and destroying the economy.

The 21st Century is not being kind to us!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Phoenix Mercury Center, Brittney Griner, is now MIA without an
explanation, which often means rehab. That would be two Phoenix
pro Centers missing time with no explanation this year, which often
mean
rehab. Letting down their community, team and fans due to
drugs.

A psychotic race-baiter in the White House looking to steal another
election with Russia's (and China, Iran and the Post Office's) help,

And pretending that a deadly virus will magically
disappear, making
us all prisoners and destroying the economy.

The 21st Century is not being kind to us!

Comparing the gravity of covid and Trump's white supremacy to Deandre Ayton smoking a joint is pretty over the top, even for you. I'm impressed! Keep pushing yourself!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Comparing the gravity of covid and Trump's white supremacy to Deandre Ayton smoking a joint is pretty over the top, even for you. I'm impressed! Keep pushing yourself!
Ah, the ol' Eric's insult and sarcasm! It's been a long
time (because I had you on ignore).

"Smoking a joint" hardly addressing missing 25 games.

Do you not consider that letting us down? Or holding
him responsible?

He was the one over the top. Neither you nor I have
control over the teams for whom we root.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really really like the Suns. If they won the title I would weep with joy.

But a Suns player getting suspended doesn't really measure up against my homeland descending into chaos, hatred and totalitarianism.

But I don't want another thread to become political so...

Uhh...

Make sure you vote... for all-stars... and anything else that matters to you.

Legalized weed is on the ballot again this year. Pass that. Maybe the NBA will stop suspending people for it.