Budda Baker getting paid

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In case you forgot, Baker is a "real" 2x-Pro Bowler, 1x first-team All Pro, and now voted to the NFL Top 100 Players list.

...dbs

Budda is a decent player who is being paid to be a star. Perhaps Keim is savvy enough to keep all the core talent even with overpaying guys like Budda, but I'm not counting on it.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
For those who are really struggling with these numbers.

This is a 4 year ext totaling 59 mil. Add that to his current deal of 2.17 (this year's salary) and you get 5 years totaling 61.17 mil which averages 12.23 mil per year over 5 years.

This is a great way to break it down and underscores the value of reading through all the comments...
I think he was overpaid but not even close to the point of being upset or freaked out. This is pro sports and the market prices will keep escalating and when you hit on a guy you reward him. I will say this, even to myself, when Budda was miked up for the Seahawk game... afterwards there was one or more guys going up to him and showing him huge respect and that's the perspective we should embrace

I don’t think anybody is freaked out, I think its the first legitimate Cardinals item in the past four months to talk about.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I like the kid because he plays with heart & passion. But...He’s a better than good player, he’s not great but he got paid like he is great.

I’m sorry but if I’m a GM I’m not paying a player that kind of coin if he’s not great. Great players make game changing plays. Those plays on defense are takeaways & sacks.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It better be 4 if Joseph doesn’t dramatically improve this defenses performance & what looked like total incompetence on his part last season :lol:
Here is one last thing...people say Budda is not Troy and/or Ed Reed and I agree with that. But, you know what Troy and Ed Reed didn't have to do, learn three defensive schemes in their first three years as a pro. It is much easier to make plays when you aren't having to think about where you need to be and what you need to do.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This franchise has made some weird timed extensions. If he’s the same guy or slightly better next season it’s not liked a bigger deal is killing the future. Nothing wrong with making a guy prove he can be a complete player at his position.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After all this time people still don't seem to understand of the FA/Extension market works.

Players don't get paid according to how good they are. They get paid according to what the market rate is and then based on that rate you factor in performance, age and future expectations.

Budda is 24 years old. Was just voted a Pro Bowl safety. The org are extremely impressed with him off and on the field.

You can look at every single position and find guys overpaid based on passed performance but who are young and extremely promising. Or who had one good year, looking at you Jordan Philips.

Laremy Tunsil is getting $22m. He isn't the best tackle in the NFL. Might not even be top 10. But he's young and promising.

Xavien Howard and Byron Jones aren't the 2nd and 3rd best cornerbacks in the league but they are paid that way.

Budda is 24 and this contract covers him until 29, through his peak years. People will look at this contract in a few years as a bargain. As they probably will with Tunsils.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
For those who are really struggling with these numbers.

This is a 4 year ext totaling 59 mil. Add that to his current deal of 2.17 (this year's salary) and you get 5 years totaling 61.17 mil which averages 12.23 mil per year over 5 years.

You can play with the number all you want but the fact is for cap purposes, it's 4 yrs/$59MM or $14.745MM per year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on commentary on this board, mixed reviews.

We tend to overrate or underrate players and get way too involved in cap/budget issues, leading me to suspect that, from a coaching standpoint, there may be more to evaluatingy Budda than meets the eye.

The way I see it, "verdict's out." Lets's see how things pan out before placing the young man on the trash heap or, conversely, annointing him Player of the Year. Let's wait & see.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can play with the number all you want but the fact is for cap purposes, it's 4 yrs/$59MM or $14.745MM per year.
It depends if they choose to spread any of the bonus onto this year's salary or not. If they do, then that would not be a fact at all. That is why I referenced a perspective on how this could be viewed instead of digging my heels in when there is a lack of concrete info.

If you want a reference point for the spreading of a bonus on a 4 year extension across 5 years, you can look at the extension the Packers just gave Kenny Clark. They bumped his cap hit on the final year of his original contract. (Maybe I am not just playing with numbers :) )

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It depends if they choose to spread any of the bonus onto this year's salary or not. If they do, then that would not be a fact at all. That is why I referenced a perspective on how this could be viewed instead of digging my heels in when there is a lack of concrete info.

If you want a reference point for the spreading of a bonus on a 4 year extension across 5 years, you can look at the extension the Packers just gave Kenny Clark. They bumped his cap hit on the final year of his original contract. (Maybe I am not just playing with numbers :) )
The ability to spread the bonus out is also why I won't be shocked to see an additional move in order to increase our cap space this year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The amount of the new contract extension is a done issue. We have little or no influence on who we keep, cut or extend. It ain't our money. There's a weird season to be played.

Can we please move on?

Reaction score
Plus he's one of the best mic'ed players with a hell of a game against Seattle..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My initial reaction was, wow that's too much. Then you read the comments and read some articles and realize that while this may or may not be an overpay in the grand scheme of things it makes sense.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
That makes hardly any plays of any game changing nature and gets torched in coverage.... ;)
Yeah, and he got this paycheck without a career interception. If he gets one he may hold out for a new contract. :D

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
My initial reaction was, wow that's too much. Then you read the comments and read some articles and realize that while this may or may not be an overpay in the grand scheme of things it makes sense.

It Might Seem like overpaying right now, But it’s not.
Keim jumped ahead of a Safety market Where arguebly the top 5 are Getting New deals over the next 2 years.

The contracts going to be given to simmons, James, Adams and fitzpatrick Will make this look like a bargain

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It Might Seem like overpaying right now, But it’a not.
Keim jumped ahead of a Safety market Where arguebly the top 5 are Getting New deals over the next 2 years.

The contracts going to be given to simmons, James, Adams and fitzpatrick Will make this look like a bargain

lol

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think what really has me rolling about the Budda contract is that this is the most @Shane has posted in a while by far. It’s like his Spidey sense are tingling when positivity comes Budda’s way, lmao.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose