Free Agency 2020

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know Van Vleet is an upgrade over Rubio - and trading Rubio is the only way I would consider this, but I am not sure he is worth the extra cap space he would take up, assuming we could trade Rubio without giving up any other assets for cap space.

If it means trading Oubre for essentially cap space I am very against this. I don't want Rubio as the backup point at 17 million.

If it means giving up Carter and Dario also then I really don't like the idea.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rubio is a very nice fit with this team. I am not convinced VanVleet would be that significant of an improvement.

Don’t mess with core chemistry. Add to it, but don’t subtract from the core that won 8 straight in the bubble.

I loved Jerry Colangelo, but his downfall was doing too much tinkering with good teams.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks going to make FVV the next Tobias Harris. :lmao:

So much this! No thanks to paying VanVleet max money, or near max money. If we don't offer that then the Knicks will and I say let them. If he were to cost $20 million a year, maybe even $25 in his last year, I'd think about it but not as a starting salary.

We have a PG right now and while Rubio isn't as young, he doesn't have many playoff miles on him, which will help him be more effective into his 30's. Rubio's game isn't built on athleticism either so I'm not worried about his aging very much, especially with international competition suspended for the time being.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns traded Oubre or Rubio in a strict salary dump like they did with Warren last offseason, I hope we don't see all of the front office bashing that the TJ trade brought about almost a year after it was completed. If that would bring back Anthony Davis, fine, gamble on it, but not for VanVleet. How much of an upgrade is he to Rubio, truly. FVV is not a $13 million a year upgrade over Rubio.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
FVV is a big upgrade over non-bubble Rubio. He is much better at shooting and dribble-drive-kick. He’s also entering his prime. More importantly, he improves our ball-handler rotation (Rubio/Book/FVV) to top-5 in the NBA.

We have to get rid of Oubre. That’s fine. Draft the best multi-position defender at 10. Cam/Mikal are good enough to handle 3/4 minutes. We may have to get rid of Carter. Fine. Saric, less fine. But if we need to do it, fine.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns traded Oubre or Rubio in a strict salary dump like they did with Warren last offseason, I hope we don't see all of the front office bashing that the TJ trade brought about almost a year after it was completed. If that would bring back Anthony Davis, fine, gamble on it, but not for VanVleet. How much of an upgrade is he to Rubio, truly. FVV is not a $13 million a year upgrade over Rubio.
Agreed. Rubio is here. He means too much to this team. They are not dumping him. There was too much uncertainty going on around Oubre in the bubble. Not sure he will be back.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
FVV at the Brogdon deal 4/80 is a no-brainer. He’s not going to get a max.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FVV is a big upgrade over non-bubble Rubio. He is much better at shooting and dribble-drive-kick. He’s also entering his prime. More importantly, he improves our ball-handler rotation (Rubio/Book/FVV) to top-5 in the NBA.

We have to get rid of Oubre. That’s fine. Draft the best multi-position defender at 10. Cam/Mikal are good enough to handle 3/4 minutes. We may have to get rid of Carter. Fine. Saric, less fine. But if we need to do it, fine.

Yes he is - but is he 12-15 million of cap room better - which means near min contract bench players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I am the Suns, I would be sending out fake news right now. They want to catch a team off guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am the Suns, I would be sending out fake news right now. They want to catch a team off guard.

I've never seen seen so many rumors by some in sports media that don't make any sense. I suppose a lot of them are trying to keep readers and jobs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So I read an article about paying VFF and Rubio at the same time their salaries and VFF would be a buckup PG for Rubio a couple years. That just doesn't make sense math or player wise.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've never seen seen so many rumors by some in sports media that don't make any sense. I suppose a lot of them are trying to keep readers and jobs.
We’ve become somewhat relevant thanks to the bubble and we have cap space and some interesting trade chips. I’m not surprised by the attention.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I read an article about paying VFF and Rubio at the same time their salaries and VFF would be a buckup PG for Rubio a couple years. That just doesn't make sense math or player wise.

It doesn't make sense for either player to come off the bench based on what they will be paid. If there is any truth to it, Rubio would have to be traded.

My guess is the Suns would be interested in VanVleet for the right price but that's not going to happen with the Raptors, Pistons and Knicks in the picture.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense for either player to come off the bench based on what they will be paid. If there is any truth to it, Rubio would have to be traded.

My guess is the Suns would be interested in VanVleet for the right price but that's not going to happen with the Raptors, Pistons and Knicks in the picture.
I guess I should have said FVV

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have said FVV

The funny thing I was reading a tweet the other day which used the initials FVV.

I didn't have a clue so I started searching for the meaning on a search engine. The primary meaning was "Facility Verification Vehicle."

Sometimes I hate abbreviations. :D

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The funny thing I was reading a tweet the other day which used the initials FVV.

I didn't have a clue so I started searching for the meaning on a search engine. The primary meaning was "Facility Verification Vehicle."

Sometimes I hate abbreviations. :D
My job is the worst! They use famous acronyms to mean something else for my company. It's OK for young kids that don't know anything. It's really hard for us old timers who are like, "Um, that's not what that means!!"

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My job is the worst! They use famous acronyms to mean something else for my company. It's OK for young kids that don't know anything. It's really hard for us old timers who are like, "Um, that's not what that means!!"

When the Black Lives Matter movement first started when I saw BLM, I thought it referred to Bureau of Land Management. Obviously that didn't make any sense.

Now, it's sort of my own personal rebellion against acronyms, to spell out everything that might have a different meaning.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When the Black Lives Matter movement first started when I saw BLM, I thought it referred to Bureau of Land Management. Obviously that didn't make any sense.

Now, it's sort of my own personal rebellion against acronyms, to spell out everything that might have a different meaning.
I think the same thing when I hear that! I think they should have used BLM2 or BLMTOO, It just sounds better when you say, Black Lives Matter, too. Marketing make it contentious.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the same thing when I hear that! I think they should have used BLM2 or BLMTOO, It just sounds better when you say, Black Lives Matter, too. Marketing make it contentious.

And then when people make up their owns acronyms it's a bridge too far.

Sometime I am going to write a whole sentence of acronyms and let everyone try and figure it out. :mrgreen:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of VanVleet but for the money, give me Rubio.

I'd rather the Suns draft a point guard and develop him under Rubio's guidance.

Besides Ricky is only 29. I'd like to keep him on a more reasonable contract when his current contract is over.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose