2020 Draft

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wasn't comparing them as a person I probably should have explained the comp better, I meant more career statistics wise, I think toppin is going to give up alot of points to the other team, there were alot of times this year he got blown by, and even with his athletisism he has horrible recover and got pushed around defensively by opposing bigs in the paint, I feel like he's going to have to score alot to justify a starting spot. I know I'm in the minority but he's my bust candidate

I still don't see the comparison. Toppin has shown great shot selection, he either shoots from the outside or attacks the rim, Beasley's shot selection was about as bad as possible. Beasley's offensive impact was arguably as bad as his defensive one. He was trash all around.

I don't think Toppin has the ceiling of a lot of these guys but IMO he has a really high floor. Smart players with good shot selection, good passing and a lot of athleticism... that guy being a bust is unlikely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It says something about the draft when Anthony Edwards is projected to go number 1.
That's where the Tankathon mock has him right now. Too many players being drafted on upside.

This could be good for Suns though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It says something about the draft when Anthony Edwards is projected to go number 1. Thats where the Tankathon mock has him right now.

He does make the most sense for Minnesota amongst the top 3. They have KAT and Russell already so drafting Wiseman or Ball would create logjams for them. I highly doubt there are too many mocks that list anyone other than Edwards because of the positional fit with the Wolves. That's not to say they will choose him, or that they won't, but smart money is leaning that direction.

If they put Wiseman down you can bet the comments will be full of people saying they already have KAT and it makes no sense to take Wiseman. The same would be said if Ball was the #1 pick only Russell's name would be in KAT's place.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He does make the most sense for Minnesota amongst the top 3. They have KAT and Russell already so drafting Wiseman or Ball would create logjams for them. I highly doubt there are too many mocks that list anyone other than Edwards because of the positional fit with the Wolves. That's not to say they will choose him, or that they won't, but smart money is leaning that direction.

If they put Wiseman down you can bet the comments will be full of people saying they already have KAT and it makes no sense to take Wiseman. The same would be said if Ball was the #1 pick only Russell's name would be in KAT's place.

I see the predicament for those doing the mocks.

Edwards is a tremendously athletic player but I don't think he gets close to being a number 1 pick in most drafts.

Maybe the Timberwolves find another Zach Lavine.

I'd probably be looking at trade down ideas.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. I have a bad feeling about Lamelo Ball but . .

He has some similarities to Luka coming into the draft. Magician passer. Very long for the position. Takes the three with confidence but has a low percentage because of shot selection. Defense a concern.

The main difference is that Luka is a lot thicker, and Luka had more of a winning track record. I am not trying to make a case, just trying to think it through.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

He has some similarities to Luka coming into the draft. Magician passer. Very long for the position. Takes the three with confidence but has a low percentage because of shot selection. Defense a concern.

The main difference is that Luka is a lot thicker, and Luka had more of a winning track record. I am not trying to make a case, just trying to think it through.
Luka was the best player in the 2nd best league on the planet. Lamelo was an extremely inefficient player in a really weak league. There just is no comparison IMO.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Luka was the best player in the 2nd best league on the planet. Lamelo was an extremely inefficient player in a really weak league. There just is no comparison IMO.
OK. Level of competition difference. Anything else?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We agree on this. Luka was ready to play in the NBA immediately upon arrival.

With LaMelo, one has to hope he will develop into a star mostly based upon potential.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Don't push back the draft. We need it!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

the only thing Luka and LaMelo have in common is they both play basketball.

not even close and I do mean not even close to being the same Player.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I know Jones and Co wouldn’t take a raw upside guy but I wouldn’t hate the idea of Lewis Jr or Anthony being groomed for two years by Rubio (assuming Haliburton is gone).

Projecting two years ahead who is the best 3&D Stretch Four prospect?

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I know Jones and Co wouldn’t take a raw upside guy but I wouldn’t hate the idea of Lewis Jr or Anthony being groomed for two years by Rubio (assuming Haliburton is gone).

No to Anthony he looked terrible at almost every facet of the game, Lewis on the other hand is intriguing with that speed but he's small so that's concerning

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Two guys who are growing on me the more research I do: Patrick Williams and Precious Achiuwa

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Jalen Smith or MAYBE Saddiq Bey (if he can put on pounds and strength without sacrificing what already is average athleticism). Also Patrick Williams or Precious Achiuwa, if either can develop a more reliable outside shot.

I am liking Jalen Smith more and more, but he will need time to develop. We likely need to acquire a power forward via free agency or trade.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Two guys who are growing on me the more research I do: Patrick Williams and Precious Achiuwa

I like Achiuwa. If Topping or Okongwu doesn't fall to us somehow, I would go with him. I wouldn't mind Jalen Smith either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the usual suspects at number 10 but please tell me there is a way to get Kansas center Udoka Azubuike for Ayton to practice against.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few names I keep hearing over and over again in the draft: Vassell, Bane and Riller.

Also Augustin in free agency.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A few names I keep hearing over and over again in the draft: Vassell, Bane and Riller.

Also Augustin in free agency.

Grant Riller is late second round fodder at best.

Desmond Bayne isn't even draft worthy.

If either is the pick at 10, James Jones should be fired on the spot.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Grant Riller is late second round fodder at best.

Desmond Bayne isn't even draft worthy.

If either is the pick at 10, James Jones should be fired on the spot.

blindly following consensus would have the Suns taking lol Culver and not getting Saric and Cam

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
blindly following consensus would have the Suns taking lol Culver and not getting Saric and Cam

At least Cam was considered draftable, albeit far later than he was selected. These two guys aren't even on anyone else's draft boards. The Suns could sign them as undrafted free agents, so to take either of them at 10 would be beyond idiotic.

Now I am praying Vassell drops to us...

And no, once the Suns pulled off the trade, consensus had the Suns taking Clarke at 11, who outperformed Cam, and at a position of dire need, thanks in large part to the fact that Saric is not an NBA quality starting power forward.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns know a team that wants to sell a second round pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These also could be players that go undrafted the Suns like.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At least Cam was considered draftable, albeit far later than he was selected. These two guys aren't even on anyone else's draft boards. The Suns could sign them as undrafted free agents, so to take either of them at 10 would be beyond idiotic.

Now I am praying Vassell drops to us...

And no, once the Suns pulled off the trade, consensus had the Suns taking Clarke at 11, who outperformed Cam, and at a position of dire need, thanks in large part to the fact that Saric is not an NBA quality starting power forward.

saric and cam are easily > clarke as value

bower killed that transaction and ~everyone knocked it at the time

Clarke is not a starter either. He does a lot worse than Saric as a starter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose