Suns trade ideas for the fall of 2020

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Apparently WhyAlwaysMe believes this to be a strong draft, so he’s not going to get your point.

He's saying that you can't judge the strength of a draft by what the pundits say in advance about the consensus top picks. The point makes sense to me.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we'll see / hear the revisiting of a Oubre for Gordon swap this offseason.

I've read Lonzo Ball to PHX could come up again and I believe they discussed it last week on Burns & Gambo but I would rather have an older Rubio than Ball.

I don't understand trade rumors involving Booker, PHX isn't going to deal him especially for draft picks and unproven players or bad contracts. If anything PHX is keeping Booker to pair with any potential trade for a superstar otherwise who is that star going to get help from.

I could understand dealing Ayton for someone like Giannis but I don't think could put together a team around them after everything else they would have to include in such a deal and with limited cap space because of the cap space tied up by Booker and Giannis when he signs his new deal. You can add through draft because you would be including multiple picks with Ayton unless you are dealing young pieces like Bridges & Cam Johnson with him.

I say keep Booker and Ayton and keep looking for third piece. Ayton may make a huge jump next year as he improved last year from his rookie season. Keep developing through draft, Johnson and Bridges could develop into at least good role players off bench. PHX could find a PFOTF in this draft just like a lot of teams finding big man gems in middle to late first round (John Collins, Michael Porter Jr, Bam Adebayo, Domantas Sabonis, Pascal Siakam and of course Giannis).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's saying that you can't judge the strength of a draft by what the pundits say in advance about the consensus top picks. The point makes sense to me.
Well no one will ever argue against that, but it’s a poor argument to lose when people are discussing the potential strength of weakness of a draft. But if that’s the rule by which we all should live on a sports board then I guess there’s no point in discussing:

whether it’s a strong draft or weak one because we won’t know that for a few years after the draft;

whether we want to trade up for a player because we don’t know if they’re really going to be any good or not;

or really anything else that’s based on conjecture or opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well no one will ever argue against that, but it’s a poor argument to lose when people are discussing the potential strength of weakness of a draft. But if that’s the rule by which we all should live on a sports board then I guess there’s no point in discussing:

whether it’s a strong draft or weak one because we won’t know that for a few years after the draft;

whether we want to trade up for a player because we don’t know if they’re really going to be any good or not;

or really anything else that’s based on conjecture or opinion.

While I agree that the experts do get it wrong on players all too often, that's at the individual level. As a class, I believe they are actually pretty accurate. If the ratings overwhelmingly indicate it's a weak class, you can be pretty sure it will be. Maybe you get lucky and find a Giannis or even an Oladipo in those weak years but you're far more likely to grab an Alex Len or an Anthony Bennett.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You don't know how a player will develop. Guys who only play one year of college. or travel the globe and play outside the NBA, you just don't know until they get into the NBA. Bridges for example, he looks WAY better in his bubble version than even earlier in the year for the Suns. Not all guys have that light bulb turn on. If we get cosistency now, over a season from Bridges than just 8 games in a bubble, he should be a starter. Cam is playing way better in the bubble, too. If both these guys can sustain next season, then we have something going!! Aside from who we pick up in the draft, most of our success will be if these two can bring it. I liked what I saw from Payne and Carter on the floor together as a second unit guard combo. I still think we are a couple bigs away depth wise for this team next season. Bigger teams can still pound us. Long term we need that PG, but Rubio is bridging the gap for now. I am hoping we get a big in this draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Mikal Bridges needs to worry about going anywhere.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So question - would you trade Oubre for the #2 pick - Warriors have a trade exception which I think would work for Oubre deal.

Not sure the warriors would do it - but if they would would you be interested? I think I might be.

Any draft besides the 2020 yes id trade Oubre for the second pick. Id even help him pack and give him a ride to the airport.

In this draft i wouldn't trade him for the first pick, too many unknown intangibles with this class.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't know how a player will develop. Guys who only play one year of college. or travel the globe and play outside the NBA, you just don't know until they get into the NBA. Bridges for example, he looks WAY better in his bubble version than even earlier in the year for the Suns. Not all guys have that light bulb turn on. If we get cosistency now, over a season from Bridges than just 8 games in a bubble, he should be a starter. Cam is playing way better in the bubble, too. If both these guys can sustain next season, then we have something going!! Aside from who we pick up in the draft, most of our success will be if these two can bring it. I liked what I saw from Payne and Carter on the floor together as a second unit guard combo. I still think we are a couple bigs away depth wise for this team next season. Bigger teams can still pound us. Long term we need that PG, but Rubio is bridging the gap for now. I am hoping we get a big in this draft.

Maybe, but there are usually (head and heart) warning signs and if you ignore them, you increase the likelihood you'll end up with a William Bedford or an Oliver Miller or an Earl Clark or a Dragan Bender or a Marquese Chriss or a Josh Jackson.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been down this road before but here we go again.

The article linked below has the Suns trading Kelly Oubre to the Warriors for the 2nd pick to draft Tyrese Haliburton. Okay. But to purse pursue Fred VanVleet? This doesn't make make much sense to me.

If the Suns are intent on saving money it does have some logic but it would look a lot like a salary dump to me.

The Suns might even get Haliburton at #10. Anyway, lots of things to chew on.

From Jeremy Cluff Arizona Republic:

Of the trade, Slater, who is the beat writer for the Warriors for the Athletic, wrote:

"I went shopping around the league with the No. 2 pick, much as I expect the Warriors to do in the weeks leading up to the draft. The offers were pretty underwhelming. Lesson learned: A top pick in this draft doesn’t hold nearly the value as most years. Detroit offered up a Blake Griffin for Andrew Wiggins toxic contract swap, attached to a 2 for 7 flip and added third-year guard Luke Kennard. Nope. Wiggins is younger, healthier and plays a more valued position. Griffin, Draymond Green and Eric Paschall sounds like spacing hell. The Knicks were interested in jumping up, but wouldn’t give up Mitchell Robinson to do so. Julius Randle and Bobby Portis were on the table. Again: Nope. The Warriors should be able to find something better with that $17.2 million trade exception. Ding. Found. The Suns were willing to deal Kelly Oubre and the 10th pick to move up to second. This gives the win-now Warriors an immediate rotation boost on the wing, where they’re desperate, and still a shot at a prospect in the back side of the lottery. Phoenix gives away an expiring contract to jump up and find someone to pair with its young, emerging core. Who will the Suns take?"

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...oubre-trade-golden-state-warriors/3532261001/

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We've been down this road before but here we go again.

The article linked below has the Suns trading Kelly Oubre to the Warriors for the 2nd pick to draft Tyrese Haliburton. Okay. But to purse pursue Fred VanVleet? This doesn't make make much sense to me.

If the Suns are intent on saving money it does have some logic but it would look a lot like a salary dump to me.

The Suns might even get Haliburton at #10. Anyway, lots of things to chew on.

From Jeremy Cluff Arizona Republic:

Of the trade, Slater, who is the beat writer for the Warriors for the Athletic, wrote:

"I went shopping around the league with the No. 2 pick, much as I expect the Warriors to do in the weeks leading up to the draft. The offers were pretty underwhelming. Lesson learned: A top pick in this draft doesn’t hold nearly the value as most years. Detroit offered up a Blake Griffin for Andrew Wiggins toxic contract swap, attached to a 2 for 7 flip and added third-year guard Luke Kennard. Nope. Wiggins is younger, healthier and plays a more valued position. Griffin, Draymond Green and Eric Paschall sounds like spacing hell. The Knicks were interested in jumping up, but wouldn’t give up Mitchell Robinson to do so. Julius Randle and Bobby Portis were on the table. Again: Nope. The Warriors should be able to find something better with that $17.2 million trade exception. Ding. Found. The Suns were willing to deal Kelly Oubre and the 10th pick to move up to second. This gives the win-now Warriors an immediate rotation boost on the wing, where they’re desperate, and still a shot at a prospect in the back side of the lottery. Phoenix gives away an expiring contract to jump up and find someone to pair with its young, emerging core. Who will the Suns take?"

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...oubre-trade-golden-state-warriors/3532261001/

As much as I like Haliburton, he is a ridiculous reach at 2, and Van Vleet showed his worth, or lack thereof, in the playoffs.

Plus the Suns double up on point guards to give them 5! (Rubio, Haliburton, Carter, Payne, Jerome) while not having a single power forward on the roster?

It would be the McD 2014 point guard debacle all over again.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre and 10 for the #2?

in a heart beat considering we’re probably not bringing Oubre back.

draft BPA and call it a day

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I like Haliburton, he is a ridiculous reach at 2, and Van Vleet showed his worth, or lack thereof, in the playoffs.

Plus the Suns double up on point guards to give them 5! (Rubio, Haliburton, Carter, Payne, Jerome) while not having a single power forward on the roster?

It would be the McD 2014 point guard debacle all over again.

I can't see drafting Haliburton at #2 either.

It doesn't make any sense to go after VanVleet after drafting Haliburton. The Suns already have Rubio, Cam Payne and Jevon Carter. I'm not even counting Jerome.

Haliburton could learn from Rubio.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't see drafting Haliburton at #2 either.

It doesn't make any sense to go after VanVleet after drafting Haliburton. The Suns already have Rubio, Cam Payne and Jevon Carter. I'm not even counting Jerome.

Haliburton could learn from Rubio.

Agreed. My only point is that the Suns cannot afford to use all of their draft and free agent capital on the same position, particularly a position that is already at least adequately manned with another position having a gaping hole.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre and 10 for the #2?

in a heart beat considering we’re probably not bringing Oubre back.

draft BPA and call it a day

The #2 pick in this draft does not carry the same value in this draft as most drafts.

If the Warriors see a potential star at #2 they are not trading the pick.

The Suns may get as good a player at #10 as #2.

IMO, the give away, is why the Warriors do it. They get two pieces of talent and if the Suns are lucky they get one.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The #2 pick in this draft does not carry the same value in this draft as most drafts.

If the Warriors see a potential star at #2 they are not trading the pick.

The Suns may get as good a player at #10 as #2.

IMO, the give away, is why the Warriors do it. They get two pieces of talent and if the Suns are lucky they get one.

I get that but if we aren’t going to bring Oubre back and most likely we aren’t cause of what he’s going to want to get paid.

then it’s pretty much 10 for 2 and your odds of getting an impact player no matter how weak this draft is, Is better at 2 then 10.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I get that but if we aren’t going to bring Oubre back and most likely we aren’t cause of what he’s going to want to get paid.

then it’s pretty much 10 for 2 and your odds of getting an impact player no matter how weak this draft is, Is better at 2 then 10.

If it is about Oubre leaving, then trade him for Aaron Gordon, use #10 on whoever is left of Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell or Nesmith, use the MLE to sign a back-up big, re-sign Carter and Saric, and call it a day.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think we should look at it entirely this way. The Suns can keep Oubre but it might require roster adjustments if they like him enough to pay him.

If the Suns keep Oubre and he blows up into a tremendous player, that's what they want, a third pillar.

If Oubre doesn't turn into that player, the Suns might well get him for less money or they clear $15 million by letting his contract expire.

If the Suns are not interested in Anthony Edwards, LaMelo Ball, Killian Hayes or Onyeka Okongwu I'm not sure it's worth moving up to #2.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it is about Oubre leaving, then trade him for Aaron Gordon, use #10 on whoever is left of Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell or Nesmith, use the MLE to sign a back-up big, re-sign Carter and Saric, and call it a day.

dude it takes 2 teams to make a trade. You keep running back to Gordon but if that trade ain’t happened by now it’s probably not going to happen.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think we should look at it entirely this way. The Suns can keep Oubre but it might require roster adjustments if they like him enough to pay him.

If the Suns keep Oubre and he blows up into a tremendous player, that's what they want, a third pillar.

If Oubre doesn't turn into that player, the Suns might well get him for less money or they clear $15 million by letting his contract expire.

If the Suns are not interested in Anthony Edwards, LaMelo Ball, Killian Hayes or Onyeka Okongwu I'm not sure it's worth moving up to #2.
You still have control of Oubre. He is coming off an injury, so I am not sure Golden State would do that deal with the 2 for 10 swap. Now if Oubre had never got hurt, played in the bublle and was one of the better players, I could see that might happen. You just have to look at if from Golden State's viepoint, they already have two guys coming off injury, and they would be potentially adding a third guy to that category, and he's never played their system on top of that. I don't think even in a weak draft that is really a no brainer move for Golden State. Now if they get no other offers, maybe.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oubre is going into what his 5th or 6th year? He’s not a star not even a #3 on a championship team he’s a role player and a good energy guy, but at this stage he’s who he’s going to be.

if I’m paying anyone it’s going to be Bridges who is already an all nba caliber defensive player

you can’t pay everybody

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
That’s a hard no from me. We are giving up our 2 biggest viable trade assets and all we are receiving is a chance to pick from a pool of players at #2 that I am not convinced will be any better than the pool of players we can choose at #10.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre is going into what his 5th or 6th year? He’s not a star not even a #3 on a championship team he’s a role player and a good energy guy, but at this stage he’s who he’s going to be.

if I’m paying anyone it’s going to be Bridges who is already an all nba caliber defensive player

you can’t pay everybody

If the Suns draft a point guard, it may not be between Bridges or Oubre.

Rubio's contract expires a year before Bridges becomes a restricted free agent in 2022/23.

Also there is a possibility Rubio could be traded a year before his contract expires.

There is no indication Oubre has peaked.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Suns draft a point guard, it may not be between Bridges or Oubre.

Rubio's contract expires a year before Bridges becomes a restricted free agent in 2022/23.

Also there is a possibility Rubio could be traded a year before his contract expires.

There is no indication Oubre has peaked.

There is not a single point guard in this draft who will be ready to start in the NBA by then, even at the very top of the draft. They will need Rubio as their starter, or they will need to pay a veteran replacement.