2020 Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre is not going to be happy coming off the bench in a contract year. James Jones has to know it.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre is not going to be happy coming off the bench in a contract year. James Jones has to know it.
This is why trading Oubre makes sense. This team has already shown that it can win without him. It's not that Oubre is a bad player, it's just that Mikal and Cam are both a better fit. I am fine with Oubre coming off of the bench, but even then, Oubre tends to be a ball-stopper more than a team player. It's not egregious, but not optimum for team success.

Trading Oubre, even to move up in this draft to get a player that we want not only gets us a better pick, but it also clears $11-13 million in cap space for free agency to fill a position of need. The trade might not look even, but it is still better than moving Oubre for space later in order to sign a player in free agency.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why trading Oubre makes sense. This team has already shown that it can win without him. It's not that Oubre is a bad player, it's just that Mikal and Cam are both a better fit. I am fine with Oubre coming off of the bench, but even then, Oubre tends to be a ball-stopper more than a team player. It's not egregious, but not optimum for team success.

Trading Oubre, even to move up in this draft to get a player that we want not only gets us a better pick, but it also clears $11-13 million in cap space for free agency to fill a position of need. The trade might not look even, but it is still better than moving Oubre for space later in order to sign a player in free agency.

I wouldn't count on the Suns being a better team without Oubre because of their performance in the bubble. It was only eight games and it was more like the start of the season when the Suns played well even without Ayton.

The Suns problem with Oubre stems from the fact that they only signed him to a two year contract. Once the first season was over the conversation flipped to are the Suns going to be able to keep him and are they willing to pay his asking price.

I have almost become resigned to the fact the Suns want to trade Oubre because the silence is deafening.

However, unless the Suns trade Oubre for near equal talent, they are losing talent, not adding it.

Trading Oubre to move up a few draft picks in this draft is like like dumping a contract much like Warren.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do this. If the Suns didn't want to pay Oubre, they should have traded him at last season's trade deadline rather than bring him back and potentially create an unhappy player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton can't do it by himself.

Nobody is asking him to but he does need to do his part and this idea we must get a PF to cover for him is cutting him too much slack. Why should someone be covering for him? He was the #1 pick and wants to be a top guy, so he needs to elevate his game rather than be hidden in various schemes and gimmicks. Making his job easier is one thing but bringing in others to do his job for him is letting him off the hook entirely.

There are a couple of you that think the only way this team moves forward is by bringing in some old school PF to cover for Ayton's shortcomings when no one made the same sort of calls for a PF to cover for Chandler, Lopez, or Gortat's shortcomings in years past. You don't call for him to be locked in a gym and learning either like others did with Len. Ayton has all of the physical and athletic gifts to be more than all of those guys combined but his deficiencies should be ignored and covered by Monty and some old school PF that will bang inside for him.

Ayton shouldn't be a finished product yet but he's closer to becoming one if people continue to give him a pass for certain things and blame James Jones and the Suns staff for not bringing in someone to do his job for him. No one else gets the passes Ayton does for failing to deliver.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random thought. The lottery did the Knicks no favor pushing them back to number 8 in the draft.

They are going to have to move up in the draft for a point guard or throw a ton of money at a player like VanVleet. Even then the Raptors have enough money to keep him.

I'm thinking Dragic stays with the Heat as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns showed, repeatedly, all year and in the bubble that their BEST lineups featured Ayton as the sole front court player.

We need depth up front but we don't need another starter to put in the post, an interior forward with Ayton would make us worse. It is antiquated. Spacing is far more important than size.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns showed, repeatedly, all year and in the bubble that their BEST lineups featured Ayton as the sole front court player.

We need depth up front but we don't need another starter to put in the post, an interior forward with Ayton would make us worse. It is antiquated. Spacing is far more important than size.

If the Suns go that direction they could use more depth more depth at center/forward in case of injury or foul trouble. I hope they can keep Saric because he can play power forward or even center in a small ball lineup.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on the Suns being a better team without Oubre because of their performance in the bubble. It was only eight games and it was more like the start of the season when the Suns played well even without Ayton.

The Suns problem with Oubre stems from the fact that they only signed him to a two year contract. Once the first season was over the conversation flipped to are the Suns going to be able to keep him and are they willing to pay his asking price.

I have almost become resigned to the fact the Suns want to trade Oubre because the silence is deafening.

However, unless the Suns trade Oubre for near equal talent, they are losing talent, not adding it.

Trading Oubre to move up a few draft picks in this draft is like like dumping a contract much like Warren.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do this. If the Suns didn't want to pay Oubre, they should have traded him at last season's trade deadline rather than bring him back and potentially create an unhappy player.

I think the Suns were prepared to let him walk rather than match a deal but with all the star movement last summer it never came to that and they got him on a team friendly deal. I agree that trading him just because they don’t want to pay him in a year isn’t smart. He’s still a proven contributor and can play 2-4 at times.

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
Jalen Smith would be my guy in this draft. 6'10 PF who can step out and hit the 3 & block shots.

Precious & Haliburton are two others they need to keep an eye on. There's a realistic chance they will be there at 10.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is asking him to but he does need to do his part and this idea we must get a PF to cover for him is cutting him too much slack. Why should someone be covering for him? He was the #1 pick and wants to be a top guy, so he needs to elevate his game rather than be hidden in various schemes and gimmicks. Making his job easier is one thing but bringing in others to do his job for him is letting him off the hook entirely.

There are a couple of you that think the only way this team moves forward is by bringing in some old school PF to cover for Ayton's shortcomings when no one made the same sort of calls for a PF to cover for Chandler, Lopez, or Gortat's shortcomings in years past. You don't call for him to be locked in a gym and learning either like others did with Len. Ayton has all of the physical and athletic gifts to be more than all of those guys combined but his deficiencies should be ignored and covered by Monty and some old school PF that will bang inside for him.

Ayton shouldn't be a finished product yet but he's closer to becoming one if people continue to give him a pass for certain things and blame James Jones and the Suns staff for not bringing in someone to do his job for him. No one else gets the passes Ayton does for failing to deliver.

agreed.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Random thought. The lottery did the Knicks no favor pushing them back to number 8 in the draft.

They are going to have to move up in the draft for a point guard or throw a ton of money at a player like VanVleet. Even then the Raptors have enough money to keep him.

I'm thinking Dragic stays with the Heat as well.
I’m hoping they pull a Knicks and draft Cole Anthony. That will move a better player down to us and eliminate us from pulling a Suns and drafting him... ha.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I was just watching video on Aaron Nesmith and this dude looks like a flat out offensive machine. Good handle, good finisher, and an incredible catch and release shooter. I mean 52% from 3 on 8 attempts a game and he has a good stepback runs off screens and gets the 3 off with ease. He just looks perfect for our offense.

I think he is exactly what we need for our bench. Pretty weak defensively - but he is a pretty good athlete so I think that could be fixed up.

I really like what I see from him and he should be available at 10.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Toppin won't fall to ten, he may fall but not that far. I was really high on him originally but something about him is starting to scream bust. His defense is terrible and I see him being a revolving door on that end. I feel like he's going to have a career like Micheal beasley. Good chance I'm wrong but I don't want the sun's to draft him

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Toppin won't fall to ten, he may fall but not that far. I was really high on him originally but something about him is starting to scream bust. His defense is terrible and I see him being a revolving door on that end. I feel like he's going to have a career like Micheal beasley. Good chance I'm wrong but I don't want the sun's to draft him
Beasley was a bust mostly because of what is going on between the ears. Toppin has everything you could possibly need physically to be a very good NBA player and if he has the motivation and work ethic to succeed at the NBA level than he will.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So I was just watching video on Aaron Nesmith and this dude looks like a flat out offensive machine. Good handle, good finisher, and an incredible catch and release shooter. I mean 52% from 3 on 8 attempts a game and he has a good stepback runs off screens and gets the 3 off with ease. He just looks perfect for our offense.

I think he is exactly what we need for our bench. Pretty weak defensively - but he is a pretty good athlete so I think that could be fixed up.

I really like what I see from him and he should be available at 10.

I'd rather have Vassell who may not be quite the shooter of Nesmith(though still good) but has a better all around game and is arguably the best perimeter defender in the draft.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't see any correlation to Beasley. Beasley's problem was that the was a selfish, idiotic, ball hog... who didn't even pretend to give half of a poo about defense and was as likely to pass the ball to the opposition as a teammate. They're not similar.

Beasley went too high because Durant was drafted the year before and, statistically, they seemed similar... only Durant had an outside shot and had an IQ over 70.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I don't see any correlation to Beasley. Beasley's problem was that the was a selfish, idiotic, ball hog... who didn't even pretend to give half of a **** about defense and was as likely to pass the ball to the opposition as a teammate. They're not similar.

Beasley went too high because Durant was drafted the year before and, statistically, they seemed similar... only Durant had an outside shot and had an IQ over 70.
I wasn't comparing them as a person I probably should have explained the comp better, I meant more career statistics wise, I think toppin is going to give up alot of points to the other team, there were alot of times this year he got blown by, and even with his athletisism he has horrible recover and got pushed around defensively by opposing bigs in the paint, I feel like he's going to have to score alot to justify a starting spot. I know I'm in the minority but he's my bust candidate

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A player I think could slide out of top ten is Isaac Okoro. He plays good defense and is athletic but shooting and height 6' 6" is a concern.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So in the “no surprise” files, Minnesota fans all over the internet think they can get Booker for the #1 in this draft. I mean... wha?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
So in the “no surprise” files, Minnesota fans all over the internet think they can get Booker for the #1 in this draft. I mean... wha?

Maybe. Also throwing in Ayton and the 10th pick probably gets it done... I think.

Then we build around LaMelo. You really have to be all in on a generational talent like that.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe. Also throwing in Ayton and the 10th pick probably gets it done... I think.

Then we build around LaMelo. You really have to be all in on a generational talent like that.

Will that leave us with enough assets to acquire all the Balls? Send Bridges, both Cams and Rubio to get Lonzo, then renounce Dario's rights and dump Oubre in a trade to create cap space for LiAngelo. Hopefully that's enough to get it done.

Ball
Ball
Ball
Who Cares
Baynes

That's a dynasty right there!

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will that leave us with enough assets to acquire all the Balls? Send Bridges, both Cams and Rubio to get Lonzo, then renounce Dario's rights and dump Oubre in a trade to create cap space for LiAngelo. Hopefully that's enough to get it done.

Ball
Ball
Ball
Who Cares
Baynes

I think the "Who Cares" should be Michael Beasley just for @Phrazbit. ;)

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Ball
Ball
Ball
Who Cares
Baynes

I like your thinking.

Sarver could advertise the team as "Ball Ball." Then we just trade for Bol Bol, the perfect complementary piece. The promotional value alone is priceless.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see any correlation to Beasley. Beasley's problem was that the was a selfish, idiotic, ball hog... who didn't even pretend to give half of a **** about defense and was as likely to pass the ball to the opposition as a teammate. They're not similar.

Never understood how people didn't get Beasley's "character" was a huge red flag. He got kicked out of Oak Hill because he wouldn't follow the rules. He's the guy who went around campus super gluing locks on doors and things and marking up things with permanent markers, paintings, statues, even trophies apparently. I get he was a kid but it was just so obvious he was going to be a problem when he suddenly had millions in the bank.

Terrific player in college, unstoppable, but it was so obvious he was going to be a coach killer.