Suns trade ideas for the fall of 2020

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
what would you want off that team?

Yep. They tanked hard core for YEARS, they got wildly lucky in the lotto, they got even luckier when they drafted some injured college guys who became healthy pros. And yet... here they are. Embiid is a stud... after him that roster gets very either expensive and old, expensive and limited or just plain trash.

I don't feel bad for em though. They did 5 years of the most shameless tanking ever, a brief tease of a hollow competitor is what they deserve.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what would you want off that team?

I wouldn't mind Raul Neto for point guard insurance off the 76ers roster. Also Alec Burks could help at shooting guard.

They are both free agents.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt the Sixers make a big move. I suspect they'll can Brett Brown. Why blow it up before letting another coach see what he can do? I'm surprised Brown has lasted as long as he has.

I do like Neto and Burks, like @Mainstreet mentioned but like he said, they're free agents. They would make some good cheap depth signings though. I don't see either getting big raises over their previous deals. Burks made a little over the league minimum and Neto made the league minimum. I think Neto will probably get around $3-4 million a year and Burks in the same range.

I can see Philly trading Tobias Harris but no one will want to take on the 4 years and $147 million left on his deal. He's a 3rd banana at best but he's paid superstar salary. He's the highest paid player on the Sixers by about $5-6 million. Second highest is Al Horford, who is due $81 million over the next 3 seasons, when he's be 34, 35, and 36. I like Harris but not at that salary, not even $10 million a year less.

Too bad NBA trades can't be done like the NFL or MLB where teams can eat salary to make it work, like if Philly agreed to pay $10 million a year of Harris' deal then a deal for him might be worth entertaining. I think if a player still makes the salary they're guaranteed in their contract then it should be a possibility to an extent. Maybe limiting it to a team being allowed to pick up 25% of a players salary in a trade. Of course the cap implications would need to be worked out also, I think if a team agrees to eat that amount though then that amount stays on their cap.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I doubt the Sixers make a big move. I suspect they'll can Brett Brown. Why blow it up before letting another coach see what he can do? I'm surprised Brown has lasted as long as he has.

I do like Neto and Burks, like @Mainstreet mentioned but like he said, they're free agents. They would make some good cheap depth signings though. I don't see either getting big raises over their previous deals. Burks made a little over the league minimum and Neto made the league minimum. I think Neto will probably get around $3-4 million a year and Burks in the same range.

I can see Philly trading Tobias Harris but no one will want to take on the 4 years and $147 million left on his deal. He's a 3rd banana at best but he's paid superstar salary. He's the highest paid player on the Sixers by about $5-6 million. Second highest is Al Horford, who is due $81 million over the next 3 seasons, when he's be 34, 35, and 36. I like Harris but not at that salary, not even $10 million a year less.

Too bad NBA trades can't be done like the NFL or MLB where teams can eat salary to make it work, like if Philly agreed to pay $10 million a year of Harris' deal then a deal for him might be worth entertaining. I think if a player still makes the salary they're guaranteed in their contract then it should be a possibility to an extent. Maybe limiting it to a team being allowed to pick up 25% of a players salary in a trade. Of course the cap implications would need to be worked out also, I think if a team agrees to eat that amount though then that amount stays on their cap.

Boy that contract backfired choosing Harris over Butler. In retrospect it made sense fit wise because you needed an elite shooter with Simmons but Harris is looking like nothing more than a role player. The Clippers got that original Heat pick we got from the Dragic deal for Harris then got sent to OKC in the Paul George trade.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It looks like the 76ers are going to have to play the hand they dealt themselves with so many players tied up in long term contracts. It's mostly the big four with Harris, Horford, Embiid and Simmons.

They are not bad players but Harris and Horford are overpaid IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like the 76ers are going to have to play the hand they dealt themselves with so many players tied up in long term contracts. It's mostly the big four with Harris, Horford, Embiid and Simmons.

They are not bad players but Harris and Horford are overpaid IMO.

Yes agreed, they are overpaid.

Simmons is a problem also. It just doesn't work to not be able to shoot in todays NBA even with his superior finishing ability. Because of his lack of a jump shot he is way overpaid as well, and frankly I don't want him for almost any price because he simply breaks an offense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So question - would you trade Oubre for the #2 pick - Warriors have a trade exception which I think would work for Oubre deal.

Not sure the warriors would do it - but if they would would you be interested? I think I might be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So question - would you trade Oubre for the #2 pick - Warriors have a trade exception which I think would work for Oubre deal.

Not sure the warriors would do it - but if they would would you be interested? I think I might be.

I doubt that’s a deal they’re going to make, but if for some reason they did, I’d definitely do it. How big is their trade exception? Would that clear all of Oubre’s salary giving us not only the 2nd pick but more cap flexibility too?

to be honest though, I’m not sure what that pick can actually get in return. It’s not like they have another really nice young piece to add with it to make some kind of blockbuster trade. Wiggins and that contract of his sure as hell ain’t that type of guy to match with the 2nd pick to really upgrade.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt that’s a deal they’re going to make, but if for some reason they did, I’d definitely do it. How big is their trade exception? Would that clear all of Oubre’s salary giving us not only the 2nd pick but more cap flexibility too?

to be honest though, I’m not sure what that pick can actually get in return. It’s not like they have another really nice young piece to add with it to make some kind of blockbuster trade. Wiggins and that contract of his sure as hell ain’t that type of guy to match with the 2nd pick to really upgrade.

It really depends how much they are all in to win now. If I was them I would keep the pick because their guys are getting old.

I doubt they would do the deal for just the second pick, might have to throw in a future protected first as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Warriors need cheap, flexible talent.

I don't see how renting Oubre for a year makes sense for them.

From the Suns perspective, I want Obi Toppin and I think Obi Toppin will not go higher than like... 5th and there is a chance he could fall to us, so I wouldn't pray the premium to move all the way up to #2. Wiseman, Ball and Edwards don't really excite me.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

From the Suns perspective, I want Obi Toppin and I think Obi Toppin will not go higher than like... 5th and there is a chance he could fall to us, so I wouldn't pray the premium to move all the way up to #2. Wiseman, Ball and Edwards don't really excite me.

I agree my target to move up for would be Toppin as well, I don't like those 3 you listed much either - well I think Wiseman looks good, but we already have Ayton. I think Toppin will go higher than most of these mocks have him listed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No Ja Morant in this draft.

The Suns would gain a trade exception but as I understand it, it's different than gaining cap space. The Suns would have to use the exception to bring back another player. I'd need to know that player.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oookay. Whatever you say. There are GREAT players at the top of this draft. Melo is the next Lebron. Wiseman is the next kg. Edwards is the next Kobe.

uh, Kobe was drafted 13th
Right before Nash

You’re making my point for me. Good work

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

in a thread where people are proposing trades for Giannis AD and Embiid you manage to top them all

Oubre isn’t worth the 15th pick in the draft.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No Ja Morant in this draft.

The Suns would gain a trade exception but as I understand it, it's different than gaining cap space. The Suns would have to use the exception to bring back another player. I'd need to know that player.

No Ja Morant? Are you saying the Suns wouldn’t do this trade because there’s no Ja Morant? That’s preposterous.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Oubre for the TPE and the #2 pick makes no sense for them but some minor asset like a heavily protected pick and the TPE would likely be worth it even if it ends up just being a rental. For the Suns it only makes sense if they need to free up capspace for a major signing, but AD is the only potential FA that would make that move worthwhile to me and that is a long shot at best.

And it seems like most of the teams in the top half of the lottery are looking to trade back/out so you're not alone in not being excited by the top projected picks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Ja Morant? Are you saying the Suns wouldn’t do this trade because there’s no Ja Morant? That’s preposterous.

I'm saying the #2 pick in the 2020 draft does not have nearly the appeal as the 2019 draft.

If the Suns decide to trade Oubre they might have a better chance of trading him for another player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm saying the #2 pick in the 2020 draft does not have nearly the appeal as the 2019 draft.

If the Suns decide to trade Oubre they might have a better chance of trading him for another player.
Apparently WhyAlwaysMe believes this to be a strong draft, so he’s not going to get your point.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave