Alford Out For Season

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever anyone thinks about Murphy's draft spot he was bad last year.

Look unhappy with his back to the ball. Got to make a big leap.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well they picked him at 33 so... :shrug:
...dave
That's exactly what I was saying. If we were picking at 32, I meant we would have won the Super Bowl and likely had very few issues on the roster.

The same functional argument could be made if we were picking as a playoff team. But no, we were the worst team in the NFL, and chose a nickelback.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alford was a hope signing like Ryan leaf that turned out to be nothing we will never see him in a cards uniform ugh

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
BW Webb in for a tryout. Sounds like the Cards are waiting for the price to drop on the Talib’s, Johnson’s, & William’s of the world. Kirkpatrick not an option according to Gambo and Ryan is only a nickel, which means Murphy moves back to the outside. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was saying this in another thread about Byron. Like, all respect to the slot, but Keim's grade/the position he was picked in should really result in a guy who isn't a role player, but a full time starter. It'd be a different story if we had been picking at 32 and slot was our weakness, but we weren't.
We already know he can't play on the outside.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Moral - injury-prone players will get injured. Bet on it.
The rare exception being the Titans signing Kyle Vanden Bosch who went on to play in a couple of Pro Bowls.

This was after the Cards drafted KVB in 2001 in the 2nd round but was on the IR for most his 4 years in AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
How long does a torn pec take to heal? They said season ending so I wouldn't count on him being 100% this year. Would we save any money cutting him? I saw DAL cut McCoy after having season ending surgery, of course McCoy is in last year of deal whereas Alford is signed through next season so how significant would the dead money be?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The ultimate solution to this problem would be to trade for Desmond King from the Chargers and permanently fix that CB2 spot. With King becoming CB1 when P2 is done.

The Chargers have a bunch of big contracts up next year and are deep at CB. No way they can afford to extend him and apparently already shopped him around earlier this year.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The ultimate solution to this problem would be to trade for Desmond King from the Chargers and permanently fix that CB2 spot. With King becoming CB1 when P2 is done.

The Chargers have a bunch of big contracts up next year and are deep at CB. No way they can afford to extend him and apparently already shopped him around earlier this year.

Reading articles before I rise?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reading articles before I rise?

Also this. If King looks on the outs and he's out of contract next year you would think a 3rd would get it done?

Here's the thing. Why is he on the outs though? His average PFF grade over 3 years is over 80.

Here's my concern. He's superb in the run game. He's great at diagnosing and stopping the run. Is that where is grades come from?

Because looking at his receptions allowed its not great.

2017 - 46 of 59
2018 - 59 of 78
2019 - 40 of 46

Thats a solid two thirds plus of receptions allowed. Much worse than I expected from his rep.

Plus his best work is in the slot.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Despite all the wailing about Murphy I went back and read about ten different draft services ranking and he was ranked #1 by most draft services in 2019. A few had Greedy Williams ranked first however Murphy was then #2. Can you really blame Keim for grabbing a CB at #33 and the consensus #1 ranked CB when we know CBs usually go higher in the draft due to their value. It also seemed to be the consensus that he was best suited for a zone scheme and was not a really good run supporter. Does Vance's scheme ask the outside CBs to play more man to man? If so, then is it on Vance to use more zone schemes or is this on Keim for nor knowing his DC's preferred scheme and selected the wrong CB to fit the defense?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have any of the people in here saying that injury prone players get injured and it was a dumb signing also advocated for extending Hump?

Asking for a friend :)
Not me. Two issues are separate.

In general, tho, I advocate shooting to be at least 2-deep in talent at every positon and that (fairly or unfairly) "bad luck" injury-wise is a trait not all that different than a lousy forty-tme.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also this. If King looks on the outs and he's out of contract next year you would think a 3rd would get it done?

Here's the thing. Why is he on the outs though? His average PFF grade over 3 years is over 80.

Here's my concern. He's superb in the run game. He's great at diagnosing and stopping the run. Is that where is grades come from?

Because looking at his receptions allowed its not great.

2017 - 46 of 59
2018 - 59 of 78
2019 - 40 of 46

Thats a solid two thirds plus of receptions allowed. Much worse than I expected from his rep.

Plus his best work is in the slot.

nice work

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brandon Carr for CB. He has my vote. He hasn't been injured in 12 years.

Good shout. Funny as I haven't seen him mentioned in any article.

Seen Talib and even DRC mentioned but not Carr.

Reaction score
Despite all the wailing about Murphy I went back and read about ten different draft services ranking and he was ranked #1 by most draft services in 2019. A few had Greedy Williams ranked first however Murphy was then #2. Can you really blame Keim for grabbing a CB at #33 and the consensus #1 ranked CB when we know CBs usually go higher in the draft due to their value. It also seemed to be the consensus that he was best suited for a zone scheme and was not a really good run supporter. Does Vance's scheme ask the outside CBs to play more man to man? If so, then is it on Vance to use more zone schemes or is this on Keim for nor knowing his DC's preferred scheme and selected the wrong CB to fit the defense?

I remember him being more of an outside corner & part of his issues was learning the slot when he came to the NFL. I could be wrong though.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even without Alford our CB situation is not in shambles... some need to take a hyperbole break :)

Outside of peterson
We have Murphy
Chris Jones, Kevin peterson, Zane Lewis, Jalen Davis

A nickle corner and four undrafted free agents

At today one of the worst unit in the nfl

If u see every UDFA in our roster with mitch's eyes, well is fine

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Outside of peterson
We have Murphy
Chris Jones, Kevin peterson, Zane Lewis, Jalen Davis

A nickle corner and four undrafted free agents

At today one of the worst unit in the nfl

If u see every UDFA in our roster with mitch's eyes, well is fine

Mitch is a self serving ego that watches probably more Patriot games in one season than I will care to watch... consider, I still think Jones is a starter lol