Texas Hog Hunt

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
My nephew wanted to go on a hunting trip for his birthday and also wanted his Uncle James to come. So my brother invited me. We drove out here over a couple days and are staying for a clue days. The best time is in the evening so last night and tonight they took us each out to our stands. We all got one last night and my nephew and myself got one tonight.

I was a little hesitant as I am not really into hunting and I am not sure how sporting this was. But the hogs are a nuisance that breed to often and have no natural predator....and like I said, my brother didn't get one tonight and I almost didn't get one yesterday.

It was fun though. And I always enjoy hanging out with my family. Plus we stopped at Rosa's Cantina in El Paso...if you understand that you have great taste in music.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! You bringing home hog to eat? I hear texas hunting is literally going onto people property and hunting animals stuck on the property. Apparently texas has little to no federal land and everything is privately owned. hear the hunting, offroading, camping and etc are all pretty much garbage but thats all the words of an arizona native that has no been in TX for 6 years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the hogs are killed cleanly and eaten I have no problem with it. I used to enjoy hunting but not anymore.

I once saw on television where they were chasing hogs with a vehicle or a boat but I don't think it was in Texas. They wounded the animals with a shotgun to slow them down before they were killed. Now that was a turnoff.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I had talked about a hog hunt a couple of years ago with a couple of my co-workers, we looked at both Texas and Alabama. Had a friend do the Alabama hunt, he said that the location they used sucked because there were way too many water moccasins and it was too dangerous to go in to the bush because of it.

I used to see some huge, ugly, hairy hogs in Georgia when I lived there, things were all over in the marshes on the coast and can get super aggressive.

What kind of rifle did you use for the hunt?

I am thinking about going on my first turkey hunt this fall in Minnesota. My brother in law has some great land for hunting (Jared Allen used to hunt on their land when he played for the Vikings). I've seen them running in the fields there when I visit--those birds can get huge.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
If the hogs are killed cleanly and eaten I have no problem with it. I used to enjoy hunting but not anymore.

I once saw on television where they were chasing hogs with a vehicle or a boat but I don't think it was in Texas. They wounded the animals with a shotgun to slow them down before they were killed. Now that was a turnoff.
My brother said he has seen video of guys shooting hogs from helicopters. I wouldn't do that....maybe just the helicopter ride. [emoji16]

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
I had talked about a hog hunt a couple of years ago with a couple of my co-workers, we looked at both Texas and Alabama. Had a friend do the Alabama hunt, he said that the location they used sucked because there were way too many water moccasins and it was too dangerous to go in to the bush because of it.

I used to see some huge, ugly, hairy hogs in Georgia when I lived there, things were all over in the marshes on the coast and can get super aggressive.

What kind of rifle did you use for the hunt?

I am thinking about going on my first turkey hunt this fall in Minnesota. My brother in law has some great land for hunting (Jared Allen used to hunt on their land when he played for the Vikings). I've seen them running in the fields there when I visit--those birds can get huge.
The guy running the ranch took us with him to empty a trap on a neighbor's ranch. There were about 15 hogs in it. They were mostly trying to get away from us but at one point a couple charged at me from inside the cage. I have no doubt they can be nasty and kill a man.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother said he has seen video of guys shooting hogs from helicopters. I wouldn't do that....maybe just the helicopter ride. [emoji16]

The helicopter ride might be be fun but shooting animals from a helicopter, boat or vehicle is not hunting.