The Coronavirus and the NFL Thread - P&R Light

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to walk it back just a little - I heard this from NBC Nightly News. They reported he said they would follow state guidelines of 50%, but looking at some other reporting, it looks like they might still be working out what the number actually looks like.

Still, it's wild to think that our stadium, at full capacity, is close to a 50% mark for the Cowboys. While technically following rules, it's still alarming.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
well, I’m guessing the only people that can prob afford those tickets and show up would be GOP folks. If Jerry want to cull some of the herd right before everyone votes, putting Texas in play, great.
Yeah, short of all of the concession workers, ticket takers, folks seeing their rich bosses on Monday morning...

(I know we're on the same side here, but were it so easy...)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is encouraging, but I expect it to be higher once they start hitting eachother.

Why? It's not a magic virus.

Someone has to have it to pass it along. With testing every 1-2 days. Temperature checks etc I simply don't see how anyone is getting on the field with it. You might get unlucky with the odd 1 or 2 but not enough to make any significant difference to the numbers.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Someone has to have it to pass it along. With testing every 1-2 days. Temperature checks etc I simply don't see how anyone is getting on the field with it. You might get unlucky with the odd 1 or 2 but not enough to make any significant difference to the numbers.

I think the risk explodes when you account for travel. Airports, chartered flights, hotels, restaurants... it all multiplies upon each other, especially when teams are traveling in Florida, Vegas, Cali, Texas and... Arizona.

I think the NFL will play their season but I also don't see it happening without a few teams going down for a couple weeks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to walk it back just a little - I heard this from NBC Nightly News. They reported he said they would follow state guidelines of 50%, but looking at some other reporting, it looks like they might still be working out what the number actually looks like.

Still, it's wild to think that our stadium, at full capacity, is close to a 50% mark for the Cowboys. While technically following rules, it's still alarming.

The main thing I took from Jerry Jones conference is that he's starting to look like the Alien from the first Men in Black movie wearing the skin suit when it's not quite on right.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the risk explodes when you account for travel. Airports, chartered flights, hotels, restaurants... it all multiplies upon each other, especially when teams are traveling in Florida, Vegas, Cali, Texas and... Arizona.

I think the NFL will play their season but I also don't see it happening without a few teams going down for a couple weeks.

Its already factored in.

Teams are going to fly in same day or the night before. Use private or exclusive travel options. Any hotels will be booked out exclusively or have the players completely separate. All means in house.

Its not hard and teams aren't stupid.

Might 1 or 2 squeeze through? Sure. Nothing is 100%. But I doubt test rates ever pass 2% or actually come close what they have been at the start of camp.

You can see huge declines already. At the start of camp there were several teams with 5 or 6 players and more each day on the Covid list.

For the last week as camp has got underway and players are in the system it's way down.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No magic virus, but there are too many accidental ways for exposure to be inadvertantly passed along.

One possible way out of this mess might be to tighten down the social-separation mechanisms and then gradually lift them one at a time while learning what does or doesn't work and what we can or cannot get. away with.

Maybe we'll discover that we can play FB risk-free under a narrow set of rules. Or maybe not. (Safety first)!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No magic virus, but there are too many accidental ways for exposure to be inadvertantly passed along.

One possible way out of this mess might be to tighten down the social-separation mechanisms and then gradually lift them one at a time while learning what does or doesn't work and what we can or cannot get. away with.

Maybe we'll discover that we can play FB risk-free under a narrow set of rules. Or maybe not. (Safety first)!

There are two ways Jeff. You breath in the virus droplets from the exhaled breath of someone who has it or you touch something with the virus on then touch your eyes/mouth/nose.

With all the precautions I have seen all teams taking I am highly confident there will be a full season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are 15 players / staff on the Covid list in the whole NFL. The league has this handled. There's going to be a full season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't even know why there would be a question about it. They can even do virtual fans like in the NBA.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero
⁦‪@TomPelissero‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

One notable change in latest NFL-NFLPA travel protocols:

Players and other members of a team’s traveling party -- already banned from leaving the hotel to eat or dining in at restaurants open to the public -- won't be allowed to pick up takeout either.

Check-in, then lockdown.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero
⁦‪@TomPelissero‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

"All meals must be provided to players and coaches/staff when traveling with the team. Self-serve buffet style dining is prohibited ..." Room service permitted, as are third-party delivery services with contactless delivery (e.g. Uber Eats). But avoiding all unnecessary exposure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of tracking the handling of the coronavirus in sports by watching the NBA. They have been very proactive in dealing with it.

If they feel if they can push the start of next season back a bit from December 1, 2020 and have fans, I'm really optimistic for outdoor sports. They wouldn't want to push it too far back.

And of course, if basketball can be played indoors with fans this bodes well for the future of outdoor sports such as the NFL with fans.

These quotes are from NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.

From ESPN:

"I'd say Dec. 1, now that we're working through this season, is feeling a little bit early to me," Silver told ESPN's Rachel Nichols before the NBA draft lottery on Thursday night.

"I think our No. 1 goal is to get fans back in our arenas. ... So my sense is, in working with the players' association, if we could push back even a little longer and increase the likelihood of having fans in arenas, that's what we would be targeting."

by Brian WindhorstESPN Senior Writer

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...k-dec-1-start-2020-21-season-adam-silver-says

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave