Suns @ 76ers Tuesday game thread 8-11-20 (season restart)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
what do you think is a realistic number to try and get Dario back? he's a great big off the bench and gives the second unit a guy who can actually create his own shot and stretch the floor. 8 mill per... 10?

That sounds high to me. What does Saric bring to the table that a whole bunch of similar guys don't? There's no shortage of clumsy white stiffs who can sort of shoot a little. It's a buyer's market for that type of role player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 or 6 million. Remember teams are hurting and cap space is sparce.

The MLE for non tax paying teams will be about $9.2 million or so and I can see Dario's camp requesting no less than 2/3 of that. The tax payer MLE will be about $6.0, which I think will be Dario's floor.

Cap space may be rare but everyone can use their MLE and there aren't many tax paying teams right now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That sounds high to me. What does Saric bring to the table that a whole bunch of similar guys don't? There's no shortage of clumsy white stiffs who can sort of shoot a little. It's a buyer's market for that type of role player.
The answer to your question is with our other "clumsy white stiff" Frank Kamnisky. Even though I hate that description. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Saric is a better player than Kaminsky? Bunching him into that kind of group isn't fair to him, because he's played pretty damn well (and consistently as well).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The MLE for non tax paying teams will be about $9.2 million or so and I can see Dario's camp requesting no less than 2/3 of that. The tax payer MLE will be about $6.0, which I think will be Dario's floor.

Cap space may be rare but everyone can use their MLE and there aren't many tax paying teams right now.

If the cap shrinks the MLE number will shrink too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The answer to your question is with our other "clumsy white stiff" Frank Kamnisky. Even though I hate that description. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Saric is a better player than Kaminsky? Bunching him into that kind of group isn't fair to him, because he's played pretty damn well (and consistently as well).

agree. Dario is more consistent and actually has a post game and a little of that euro-wiggle to get to the basket every once in a while.

I don’t know if I’d go 10 million, but I’d be upset if they him walk for 7-8.

kaminski and his contract should be dunzo the day the season ends.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agree. Dario is more consistent and actually has a post game and a little of that euro-wiggle to get to the basket every once in a while.

Agreed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the cap shrinks the MLE number will shrink too.

I couldn't find anything about that in the CBA-FAQ. I'm not saying it won't happen but I found it odd that it wasn't discussed at all in regards to the exceptions.

The MLE used to be an average of all other contracts, making it a middle of the road salary but when this last CBA was signed there was as set amount written in for each version available, the tax payer, non tax payer, room MLE, and regular MLE. That initial figure would be increased by 4% each year. So with it being written in specifically, I'd be surprised if they actually lowered it more than what it's been the last couple of seasons.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything about that in the CBA-FAQ. I'm not saying it won't happen but I found it odd that it wasn't discussed at all in regards to the exceptions.

The MLE used to be an average of all other contracts, making it a middle of the road salary but when this last CBA was signed there was as set amount written in for each version available, the tax payer, non tax payer, room MLE, and regular MLE. That initial figure would be increased by 4% each year. So with it being written in specifically, I'd be surprised if they actually lowered it more than what it's been the last couple of seasons.

I'm pretty sure it is a percentage of the salary cap.

I think guys already on max deals will be earning less money too.

EDIT, nevermind, max contracts won't decline, but I am unsure if they will grow by 8% as they normally do.

New max contracts will shrink with a lower cap figure though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it is a percentage of the salary cap.

I think guys already on max deals will be earning less money too.

EDIT, nevermind, max contracts won't decline, but I am unsure if they will grow by 8% as they normally do.

New max contracts will shrink with a lower cap figure though.

Check it out, it's no longer a percentage of the cap.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Here's how the Room MLE amount was determined. The language for each one is the same, only changing the name of the exception. Like I said, it was written into this CBA as a set amount and not a percentage, almost like rookie contracts. Apparently if the cap goes down then the percentage the cap goes down will determine the % taken from whatever the MLE was the previous year.

The Room Mid-Level exception amount for the 2017-18 season was negotiated into the agreement. For each subsequent season the exception amount is determined by applying the percentage change in the salary cap to the previous exception amount. For example, if the salary cap increases by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19, then the exception amount also will increase by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Check it out, it's no longer a percentage of the cap.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Here's how the Room MLE amount was determined. The language for each one is the same, only changing the name of the exception. Like I said, it was written into this CBA as a set amount and not a percentage, almost like rookie contracts. Apparently if the cap goes down then the percentage the cap goes down will determine the % taken from whatever the MLE was the previous year.

Well... how is that not a percentage of the cap? Am I missing something? If the cap drops say... 7-10% for the coming season (which seems realistic) then the MLE will drop by the same margin.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

i was a supporter of him while he was out, i thought we had missed him, he was bringing some intangibles. But now with Cam doing good as a starter and Saric doing great as a backup, that leaves no room for Kaminski. Saric versus Kaminsky in a back up role, Saric all day. Hopefully Saric can accept that. If we need a third string pf, i'd rather go with someone who has more upside that we can develop, probably a mid/late round pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i was a supporter of him while he was out, i thought we had missed him, he was bringing some intangibles. But now with Cam doing good as a starter and Saric doing great as a backup, that leaves no room for Kaminski. Saric versus Kaminsky in a back up role, Saric all day. Hopefully Saric can accept that. If we need a third string pf, i'd rather go with someone who has more upside that we can develop, probably a mid/late round pick.

We still need a first string PF. Again, way too early to anoint Cam as the answer, particularly given how horribly he played against a depleted Sixers team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... how is that not a percentage of the cap? Am I missing something? If the cap drops say... 7-10% for the coming season (which seems realistic) then the MLE will drop by the same margin.

Sure, it increases or decreases based on how much the cap changes but the overall cap number doesn't really matter. It was $9.2 million this year, if the cap goes down 10% then it'll drop to around $8.3 million. The way you made it sound is the MLE is a certain percentage of the cap, like it'll be 10% of the cap every year (for example). Instead the MLE number has been figured already, it's just a matter of seeing how much the cap will change from this year to next to determine the new figure.

It seems we weren't on the same page in regards to how "percentage of the cap" was being used.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose