Has Cam Johnson displaced Oubre?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the starting lineup? This team seems to play VERY well with Cam in. But earlier some of our best lineups had Oubre.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Always felt that Oubre should be a sixth man not because he’s the sixth best player, but to help stagger the lineup so the bench has more firepower. I’d experiment with Cam as a starter

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think I'd stick with the current lineup and have Oubre come in with the bench. Kelly can create his own shot, unlike anyone else off the bench. Dario becomes the backup five, Oubre provides additional scoring, and you surround them with Carter and Payne- that's plenty of defense off the bench and still have plenty of scoring. For next season, I don't know. I think if you want to keep Oubre, you almost have to start him. Also, if I remember correctly, Oubre/ Bridges/ Booker/ Rubio/ Ayton had a crazy net rating before the season paused. It's been a while, but I am pretty sure they were on e of the top-five lineups in the league if not THE top one.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam is great because he plays within himself, and is a great shooter. Oubre forces the issue too much and doesn't pass once he gets the ball. He's a great fit for the 6th man role due to his tendencies, but i'm not sure how much he'll accept that role.

Then when it comes down to crunch time? What 5 guys do we want on the floor?

Book
Ayton
Bridges
Cam
Oubre

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cam is great because he plays within himself, and is a great shooter. Oubre forces the issue too much and doesn't pass once he gets the ball. He's a great fit for the 6th man role due to his tendencies, but i'm not sure how much he'll accept that role.

Book
Ayton
Bridges
Cam
Oubre
I don't know how you leave out Rubio.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know how you leave out Rubio.

I honestly forgot about him for a second while i was writing that here at work. I didnt mean that list would be my finishing 5, but i forgot to write him in for a total of 6 guys that could finish the game.

Just because Cam is still arriving, i'd leave him off that list.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Interesting conversation. Cam plays better team defense, is a more consistent outside threat and is doing great work on the boards. Kelly is better at creating (mostly for himself currently, but that's still valuable), more versatile offensively, and brings a lot of energy.

Tough call. With the way the minutes are staggered currently I actually like Kelly off the bench to add offensive punch.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Oubre off the bench but playing starter minutes is great. I understand why he might feel differently about it, though. But Oubre entering the game causes immediate problems for an opponent in a way Cam just wouldn’t (yet, anyway). I’m a fan of both players.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Oubre off the bench but playing starter minutes is great. I understand why he might feel differently about it, though. But Oubre entering the game causes immediate problems for an opponent in a way Cam just wouldn’t (yet, anyway). I’m a fan of both players.

I don't think oubre off the bench is going to work.

We tried it before, and he felt forced to try and score and was rather inefficient at it.
Obviously part of it was lack of a backup point guard, but I really feel like he is a player that is best when surrounded by other scorers he can feed off of.

Personally I would put him back as a starter against most teams - except for the ones with big power forwards.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think oubre off the bench is going to work.

We tried it before, and he felt forced to try and score and was rather inefficient at it.
Obviously part of it was lack of a backup point guard, but I really feel like he is a player that is best when surrounded by other scorers he can feed off of.

Personally I would put him back as a starter against most teams - except for the ones with big power forwards.

I tend to agree.

It probably doesn't matter if Oubre comes off the bench the remainder of the season but if he is made a bench player next season, it's best to trade him because he will be gone once he enters free agency.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Oubre starts. Yeah no chit he would be good coming off the bench....

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Book
Ayton
Bridges
Cam
Oubre

That line-up to close games would be incapable of getting a rebound or defending on the interior. Opponents would just muscle their way to victory. Not to mention it puts Booker back at the point, where he has already failed twice (or is it thrice), and where he can't defend...

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tend to agree.

It probably doesn't matter if Oubre comes off the bench the remainder of the season but if he is made a bench player next season, it's best to trade him because he will be gone once he enters free agency.
Unfortunately probably true. Hopefully we don’t get taken advantage of like with TJ. The way to do it is to pursue the player we want and give up Oubre grudgingly as part of the deal.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That line-up to close games would be incapable of getting a rebound or defending on the interior. Opponents would just muscle their way to victory. Not to mention it puts Booker back at the point, where he has already failed twice (or is it thrice), and where he can't defend...
:grabs:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Because he is now basically an All-Star, and the Suns (or, rather, James Jones) gave up an asset to dump him for nothing.
So what? At the time, if the Suns weren't getting anything else because nobody was offering, what was the alternative?

But hey, it works for your laundry list of problems with this franchise, amiright? So of course keeps talking about it because it makes you feel good.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So what? At the time, if the Suns weren't getting anything else because nobody was offering, what was the alternative?

But hey, it works for your laundry list of problems with this franchise, amiright? So of course keeps talking about it because it makes you feel good.

The alternative? How about keeping Warren, and if they needed to give that asset up to create cap space to sign Rubio, dumping Tyler Johnson's salary instead?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I tend to agree.

Other than the botched deal where we got Oubre by luck in the first place, when was the last time the Suns were able to parlay a large expiring contract into anything useful? It's been a real problem. (See, e.g., Tyson Chandler and Tyler Johnson.)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than the botched deal where we got Oubre by luck in the first place, when was the last time the Suns were able to parlay a large expiring contract into anything useful? It's been a real problem. (See, e.g., Tyson Chandler and Tyler Johnson.)

It's probably not what you mean but we will see will see what the Suns do with the salary space Tyler Jonson's expiring contract created. He was under contract for $19,245,370.

Salary space may be more valuable than many first round picks this off season.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he is now basically an All-Star, and the Suns (or, rather, James Jones) gave up an asset to dump him for nothing.
Yea that trade still pisses me off i really enjoyed warching wareen glad hes on a winning team

Hope booker is on a winning suns team next yr but least suns getting positive media attention now! Might be good for fa