Who will start at RT?

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now that Marcus Gilbert has opted out of the 2020 season, who will slide in as the new starting RT?

I think it’s logical to assume Justin Murray will be favored to return to the starting lineup...Maybe Kelvin Beachum can compete as someone who has starting experience as well?

As a fan I can’t help but root for Josh Jones to wow in training camp and step in as the starter...As a rookie he’ll obviously up against it, but it would be cool to see him earn the job.

Who would you roll with?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think Murray and Beachum will battle it out...and I wouldn't be shocked to see a late addition of someone cut from another team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Murray can't lock it down hopefully Jones can win it to give him experience. Last resort look at trade market. Riley Reiff could be an option.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Murray weeks 1-4 and then Josh Jones for a decade... srsly tho. He’s the no sack master.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Murray

It won't be Josh Jones. There were no OTA's or minicamps and he will be well behind the curve. Which is already steep for rookie OT's.

Beachum has 300 snaps at RT in his career.

Murray knows the playbook which is a huge advantage in a very disrupted season.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Jones have any experience at RT? Beachum has 300 snaps at RT which is about 5 games worth, plenty of experience for it not to be a problem.

Murray may win the starting job if it's close because Beachum can then be the backup at both tackle spots.

Side note, I pass no judgment on players opting out but Gilbert does annoy me a little. Dude just keeps on getting paid while not playing. No biggie, stay safe.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does Jones have any experience at RT? Beachum has 300 snaps at RT which is about 5 games worth, plenty of experience for it not to be a problem.

Murray may win the starting job if it's close because Beachum can then be the backup at both tackle spots.

Side note, I pass no judgment on players opting out but Gilbert does annoy me a little. Dude just keeps on getting paid while not playing. No biggie, stay safe.

Wait...Are the guys who are opting out still getting paychecks? That can't be right. I need to call my boss if it is.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's going to be Jones if he looks even close to the veterans. They are on 1 year deals, and he is the future.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I don't blame him for opting out. I probably would too, if a player in the league. But, taken on the whole, this signing has netting absoultuely nothing. Zip, zero, nada.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
High Risk Players: Get 350k and never have to pay it back.
Normal Risk Players: Get a 150k ADVANCE on next years contract. Paid this year, and deducted from next years total.

I have no idea what determines a players risk status, or how the NFL deems who is at high risk or who is not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High Risk Players: Get 350k and never have to pay it back.
Normal Risk Players: Get a 150k ADVANCE on next years contract. Paid this year, and deducted from next years total.

I have no idea what determines a players risk status, or how the NFL deems who is at high risk or who is not.

From what I've read Gilbert qualifies for the $350,000 with no requirement to pay it back.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
From what I've read Gilbert qualifies for the $350,000 with no requirement to pay it back.
I read that as well.

I guess it could be considered a HIPAA violation, but I would love to know what qualifies someone for High-Risk status vs. Normal status.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that as well.

I guess it could be considered a HIPAA violation, but I would love to know what qualifies someone for High-Risk status vs. Normal status.

Specifically I do not know.

This is from Kevin Zimmerman of Arizona Sports:

UPDATED: August 4, 2020 at 1:37 pm

Arizona Cardinals offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert has opted out of the 2020 season.

In a statement posted to Twitter, Gilbert said he falls under the category of high-risk if he were to get the coronavirus. That and having high-risk family members led to his decision, he wrote.

https://arizonasports.com/story/233...us-gilbert-high-risk-opts-out-of-2020-season/

Reaction score
So that's almost assuredly the end of Gilbert with the Cardinals; and probably his NFL career.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They get money this year, but it's taken out of their paycheck the following year. Pretty much a loan
What if they are in contract year meaning they are a FA at end of year? Does that mean they still have one year left on deal next year?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess it's Murray's job to lose now and Jones will be knipping at his heels as he becomes more comfortable in this offense. Beacham could play into the mix as well even though he is considered a LT.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
What if they are in contract year meaning they are a FA at end of year? Does that mean they still have one year left on deal next year?
Their contract tolls, So this year would not count as a contract year

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose