Dunkirk

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son and I watched this tonight. Good movie. It was no Saving Private Ryan. In fact, in terms of recent movies, we both enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge more than this movie. Again good movie and still recommend. By the way, our Theater was probably heard 2 movies over. The bass kicking in some of those scenes was the most intense since Jurassic Park first rumbled into theaters.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I love WW2 history and WW2 movies, and I though this was just ok.

Cinematography, spectacular. Acting was fine but I mean, there was about 3 mins of dialogue in the entire movie so you can't really critique much. Forgettable IMO.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I love WW2 history and WW2 movies, and I though this was just ok.

Cinematography, spectacular. Acting was fine but I mean, there was about 3 mins of dialogue in the entire movie so you can't really critique much. Forgettable IMO.
Pretty much no dialogue...at all. I think Nolan was just trying to portray how these soldiers were feeling; hopeless, distant, and desperate. Not too many convos happening when people feel like that. Even when they did speak it was somewhat hard to understand.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You specifically said you CAN'T say anymore because you're a white dude. That is the very definition of oppression.

"I would like to say more on the subject...but i won't(can't) because i'm a white dude. That's the world we live in now."

You're kind of representing what he's saying, though. Anytime a white dude speaks up about anything these days, it's "white privilege" this, and "how can a white man have an opinion" that. I get it--white men have literally been oppressing everyone since time immemorial--so the common backlash is to punish modern white men for it whenever they speak out. I just 'loled' that when he spoke out, you dinged him for it. King of representative of the whole deal :)

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AZ Native: I thought you expressed yourself very well. I know a lot of people who share your feelings about watching movies. I call it "popcorn value". Sometimes, though I know how movies are made, I just want to sit and eat popcorn and be entertained. (Which can include being educated.)

My dad is also a WWII vet. I quit watching war movies. Once it sunk in that he was a WWII vet, (about the time Saving Private Ryan came out) I decided I had no desire to see what he went through depicted on a screen.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad is also a WWII vet. I quit watching war movies. Once it sunk in that he was a WWII vet, (about the time Saving Private Ryan came out) I decided I had no desire to see what he went through depicted on a screen.

I quit watching them after Black Hawk Down. The carnage is bad enough without seeing how the political class screws our military over.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Saw it last night. Was mildly disappointed given all the build up around it. Completely agree about the timeline complaints. It's no Saving Private Ryan, but it is suspenseful throughout most of the movie.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Pretty much no dialogue...at all. I think Nolan was just trying to portray how these soldiers were feeling; hopeless, distant, and desperate. Not too many convos happening when people feel like that. Even when they did speak it was somewhat hard to understand.

My thoughts exactly. Amazing score.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Tarantino called this movie a masterpiece. Although I come back to it from time to time, I don't feel it lives up to that level.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tarantino called this movie a masterpiece. Although I come back to it from time to time, I don't feel it lives up to that level.

I do. I'm with Tarantino all the way here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Great great movie but not a masterpiece. I would struggle to put it in Nolan’s top 5 all time, but a lot of that is because his catalog is so freaking good.