Suns @ Jazz Thursday scrimmage game 7-23-20

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges and Mitchell having a playful conversation leaving court. They were having some fun.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Suns 101 - Jazz 88

Seems like your feed is about a minute quicker than mine on League Pass. Hope it gets corrected as games start to matter because it's frustrating being a couple minutes behind in these threads but if the Suns continue playing like they did today, whatever.

No one was bad from what I saw. Lots of energy from everyone. Some bad plays here and there but Utah is a good defensive team and it was more them finding a way to get something going than the Suns playing sloppy or stupid.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some final stats.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seems like your feed is about a minute quicker than mine on League Pass. Hope it gets corrected as games start to matter because it's frustrating being a couple minutes behind in these threads but if the Suns continue playing like they did today, whatever.

No one was bad from what I saw. Lots of energy from everyone. Some bad plays here and there but Utah is a good defensive team and it was more them finding a way to get something going than the Suns playing sloppy or stupid.
I thought Cheik looked useless out there, did we ever figure out why he never dunks the ball?

Jerome looked ok after a pretty bad start. Also thought Frank was non existent except for a few good defensive sequences. Payne was interesting but good or bad, I always disregard a player’s first game in a new uniform.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Cheik looked useless out there, did we ever figure out why he never dunks the ball?

Jerome looked ok after a pretty bad start. Also thought Frank was non existent except for a few good defensive sequences. Payne was interesting but good or bad, I always disregard a player’s first game in a new uniform.

Cheik sucks but wasn't as useless as I was used to him being. He is bad though and has been my least favorite Sun all season. I didn't see anything he did tonight that caused me to trash him though, which was good. I felt like if I did bash him then it would probably be because of how I dislike him rather than his play warranting it.

Frank was active defensively, which was surprising. I gave him a pass for not doing much offensively because he wasn't a turnstile on D.

Payne did look good, which was good, but like you said it was his first outing and you can't put much stock in that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty liked the point guard play of Ty Jerome and Cam Payne.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

Monty said that he's never heard Dario talk this much in his life. Not sure if he meant all-around or on the court but probs both.

7:18 PM · Jul 23, 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Sidery
@esidery

Monty: "Mikal is a guy I want to be aggressive on both ends of the floor." Bridges certainly did that tonight.

7:12 PM · Jul 23, 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Sidery
@esidery

Williams was very impressed by Cam Payne's ability to play in pick-and-roll. Payne went for 5-for-7 in his Suns debut.

7:14 PM · Jul 23, 2020

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It may just be me, but I can't stand Ty Jerome.

His complete inability to drive around anyone or play defense drives me insane.

Cam Payne looked significantly better and I am really hoping it's not a fluke because I want Ty benched permanently.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm at work so I missed everything, how did everyone look?
Also stats if anyone knows them?

Thought Mikal was the most impressive.

Maybe the most aggressive and efficient offensive game I have ever seen from him.

Ayton and Booker both looked good not great.

Cam Payne was probably the second most impressive player in the game to me.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Cam Payne > Ty Jerome! Anyone who had the ball and saw Jerome in front of him, went right to the hole! Almost every time!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm at work so I missed everything, how did everyone look?
Also stats if anyone knows them?

Saric played more aggressive than he has as a Sun, and much smarter as well. He looked like a true PF today.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any site that kept stats so I don't think you'll be seeing those for this game but it was a good game by the overall.

The Jazz clawed their way back and got it within 1 possession in the 2nd half after the Suns had a 13+ point lead but the Suns played smart and didn't panic. They managed to extend the lead again and close them out, which was surprising without Rubio and Oubre. It was smart team basketball that won the day for them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Saric played more aggressive than he has as a Sun, and much smarter as well. He looked like a true PF today.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any site that kept stats so I don't think you'll be seeing those for this game but it was a good game by the overall.

The Jazz clawed their way back and got it within 1 possession in the 2nd half after the Suns had a 13+ point lead but the Suns played smart and didn't panic. They managed to extend the lead again and close them out, which was surprising without Rubio and Oubre. It was smart team basketball that won the day for them.
I was wanting to see plus/minus for players this game! :(

NBA.com has stats!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Cam Johnson laed the SUns +17, Jevon Carter and Cameron Payne +11, Kaminsky +10, Bridges +5, Ayton and Booker +3, Ty Jerome -1

Diallo +6, Saric 0 (too many missed layups and missed free throws!)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
16.1% of Diallo's shots this season have been dunks, which is second on the team to Ayton's 16.3%.
When's the last time you saw Diallo dunk? He could have done it at least twice in this game and didn't both times.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with the Suns performance. Some morning reflection:

Cam Johnson's bigger appearance was a nice surprise. He beefed up considerably and kept his quickness. He doesn't look like the rookie that started last season.

Cam Payne has a real shot at making the Suns roster. Although it's only one scrimmage the backup point guard position is wide open.

Jevon Carter didn't hurt his cause at all. He plays defense and knows how to put the ball in the basket.

Saric played well after my early comment about him looking slow got him going. If it takes tough love I need to provide it. LOL

Bridges looked quick and didn't settle for outside jumpers. His shot was reminiscent of his play at Villanova.

Only good things to say about Ayton and Booker.

Ty Jerome, after a tentative start, played well the rest of the game. He is still trying to adjust to the speed of the NBA game. It's been a difficult adjustment because of average athleticism.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty Williams talking about Mikal Bridges.

By Duane Rankin at azcentral:

"That's what we need out of him. People yell out the 3-and-D for Mikal, but he's much more than that and he has the instincts and the mind to play multiple positions and do multiple things on the court. Him being aggressive like that is what we're going to need. His ability to make plays is something that I feel like he's gotten enough credit for, but he hasn't went out there and shown it, but tonight he showed glimpses of it that he can be a scorer and he can make plays. That's going to be a key to our success."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-jazz-first-scrimmage-nba-restart/5498940002/

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if Cam could actually be our PF.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose