Cards signing OT Kelvin Beachum per Gambo

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
https://arizonasports.com/story/2324549/arizona-cardinals-are-signing-free-agent-ol-kelvin-beachum/

The Arizona Cardinals are signing free agent offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum, per 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s John Gambadoro.

The signing is a one-year deal for the offensive tackle, Gambo added.

The Cardinals mark Beachum’s fourth NFL team. He’s spent time with the Pittsburgh Steelers (four years), Jacksonville Jaguars (one year) and New York Jets (three years).

Beachum played 13 games last season for the Jets after back-to-back 16-game seasons in 2017 and 2018.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like depth. Always need depth on the offensive line in case of injuries. I like that he can play both tackle positions.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like depth. Always need depth on the offensive line in case of injuries. I like that he can play both tackle positions.

I am afraid it is more than that.

We already had the best group of tackles we have ever had since the franchise moved to Arizona.

If we are spending some of our sparse cap space on another tackle I think it means one of three things. Either they are expecting Humprhies or Gilbert to miss time, or they have a trade in place for justin murray or they are planning on moving Josh Jones to guard.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We already had the best group of tackles we have ever had since the franchise moved to Arizona.

If we are spending some of our sparse cap space on another tackle I think it means one of three things. Either they are expecting Humprhies or Gilbert to miss time, or they have a trade in place for justin murray or they are planning on moving Josh Jones to guard.
Or.....it’s depth.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or.....it’s depth.

We need depth far more at corner, D line, TE, Center, Guard, or safety. If Keim is going to sign free agents that is a far better place to spend the cash.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A one year deal for a veteran that has been sitting on the market since the offseason started...clearly depth.

Really? This is an older guy who has started his whole career. This is not a signing for potential.

I don't even think he would want to sign with the cards unless he thought he was going to get playing time - and that worries me.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Really? This is an older guy who has started his whole career. This is not a signing for potential.

I don't even think he would want to sign with the cards unless he thought he was going to get playing time - and that worries me.

He's 31, has always been the OT that starts on teams until they can find someone better. A below average starter never anything more than that. This late in the offseason he probably just wants to be on a roster and get a paycheck, I doubt he got much more than the veteran minimum.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

or that they are creating depth in case a run of injuries happens again.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1 year deal = I guess I will take this contract and move forward vs staying unemployed.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree. OL is the most important aspect of the offense. Also, you can only buy what product is available.

You won't be saying that if we can't stop the run.

OL is better than last year already, and it was good enough to make our offense potent.

On the other hand our secondary and run D sucked. I'm not sure why you would think OL is a bigger need.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OL is better than last year already, and it was good enough to make our offense potent.

On the other hand our secondary and run D sucked. I'm not sure why you would think OL is a bigger need.

We signed a good LB and drafted a blue chip LB and signed some high quality Dline early in FA.

Also, you dont sign for need this time of year, you sign for depth. If there is quality depth to put behind the DL, I am sure they are looking at it too. this isnt the only signing we are allowed and you do not ignore one depth need just because you have another depth need.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

It's the biggest need because you want to make every effort to protect a young franchise QB in their infancy

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We signed a good LB and drafted a blue chip LB and signed some high quality Dline early in FA.

Also, you dont sign for need this time of year, you sign for depth. If there is quality depth to put behind the DL, I am sure they are looking at it too. this isnt the only signing we are allowed and you do not ignore one depth need just because you have another depth need.

I don't care what they paid phillips, he is not a high quality DL. He's mediocre at best.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't care what they paid phillips, he is not a high quality DL. He's mediocre at best.
They obviously feel different.

Anyways, I would feel the situation is this. We have a logjam at RT. Jones is the future, but likely won't be starting this year, Murray is obviously someone we don't have a ton of faith in (thank goodness) and isn't a candidate for LT, and Gilbert is the starter, but probably not capable of playing LT.

That means Miles and Toth aren't seen as capable replacements for Humphries, were something to happen. In a world where we might see players miss games at any time due to Covid, ensuring we have the depth to protect Kyler is paramount.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
They obviously feel different.

Anyways, I would feel the situation is this. We have a logjam at RT. Jones is the future, but likely won't be starting this year, Murray is obviously someone we don't have a ton of faith in (thank goodness) and isn't a candidate for LT, and Gilbert is the starter, but probably not capable of playing LT.

That means Miles and Toth aren't seen as capable replacements for Humphries, were something to happen. In a world where we might see players miss games at any time due to Covid, ensuring we have the depth to protect Kyler is paramount.
Nah, it's called hedging your bets where it's not expensive which is prudent :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

How did THIS little nugget go unchallenged? Uneducated much?

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score

On the other hand our secondary and run D sucked. I'm not sure why you would think OL is a bigger need.[/QUOT

Our offense was potent?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose