Is one and done coming to an end?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think G League is good for everyone.

NBA now has a minor league to develop promising kids who just aren't ready for NBA.

Players now have a lot of options. They can go to college if they want that experience, the can go to G League and be able to make money to support their families and still get their education paid for. Lastly, kids can still opt to play overseas if they want to make more money and see the world. I think you will still see kids going overseas as I think the max deal with G League for elite talent is $500,000. I saw First Take the other day and it was reported that Jalen Green's deal will supposedly will exceed $500,000. Overseas teams could offer more money I believe.

NCAA looks bad and will lose star power in college basketball but March Madness will still be a draw as without one year kids ruining the game with their NBA audition year it should be more competitive and more development can take place. The NCAA's willingness now to allow players to get paid for their likeness will benefit college football players as NCAA will still be in full control of that sport since NFL does not have developmental league.

The ones who suffer a little are college coaches, especially guys like Cal & Coach K who have been running the one and done factories for years. They will still get the higher rank kids that decide to go to school but they are going to have to coach lesser talent. So now being able to develop and coach kids now will be more important that ever and may expose some coaches who can't win without these 5 star kids.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I notice a number of European players entering the draft who do not have a great chance of being drafted.

Instead of returning to Europe, I can't help but wonder if some of those players might look towards the G-League as well. This might be a way to get more European talent in the G-League as well.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also I notice a number of European players entering the draft who do not have a great chance of being drafted.

Instead of returning to Europe, I can't help but wonder if some of those players might look towards the G-League as well. This might be a way to get more European talent in the G-League as well.
Euros would be taking a risk not returning to Europe. G-League contracts are only 1 year deals so they don't get the stability they would in Europe with multi year contracts and the amount of money. Unless they are guaranteed to go in first round I don't see why a Euro would want to enter draft. Just play in Europe and wait for a weak draft class.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Players in decent European leagues earn at least 6 figures and sometimes well over a million USD per season. The G-League's average salary is 35k.

Unless an NBA team has your rights, then any player with half a brain would view the G-League as desperation.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Euros would be taking a risk not returning to Europe. G-League contracts are only 1 year deals so they don't get the stability they would in Europe with multi year contracts and the amount of money. Unless they are guaranteed to go in first round I don't see why a Euro would want to enter draft. Just play in Europe and wait for a weak draft class.

Players in decent European leagues earn at least 6 figures and sometimes well over a million USD per season. The G-League's average salary is 35k.

Unless an NBA team has your rights, then any player with half a brain would view the G-League as desperation.

Mostly I'm looking towards the future. If the G-League evolves into a minor league system for the NBA it has the potential to attract players from everywhere.

I agree it's not there yet but who is to say where it will be a few years down the road. A lot depends upon the willingness of NBA teams to pay minor league players a competitive salary much like Jalen Green.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all started because kids were struggling just to get through the year. The end result was the focus on the millions colleges make. Had they addressed this a long time ago, given all the kids an amount to get through we wouldn't be here today. Heck, I am OK with them giving the kids a % that goes into a trust as well that sits there until they reach a certain age to give them a piece of the pie.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mostly I'm looking towards the future. If the G-League evolves into a minor league system for the NBA it has the potential to attract players from everywhere.

I agree it's not there yet but who is to say where it will be a few years down the road. A lot depends upon the willingness of NBA teams to pay minor league players a competitive salary much like Jalen Green.
I totally agree with you, they would need to address the long term development of players who need more than a year to develop. Until they do, kids have to realize the league is not for everyone and there are levels of talent hierarchy the G-League is meant for.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kai Sotto is first international player to sign in the NBA G League pro program.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Kai Sotto — a 7-foot-2 center from the Philippines — has decided to skip college and will be the first international draft prospect to sign a deal in the NBA G League pro program, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

6:10 AM - 11 May 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top 2021 prospect Jonathan Kuminga will reportedly sign in NBA G League pro pathway program.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Are they going to televise these g league games? I feel like they will be alot more entertaining and interesting then college games will be in the next few years

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they going to televise these g league games? I feel like they will be alot more entertaining and interesting then college games will be in the next few years

I've watched most of the NAZ Suns games my streaming but I think they do televise G-League games now and then but I don't think it's anything consistent. Maybe it will change.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top 2021 prospect Jonathan Kuminga will reportedly sign in NBA G League pro pathway program.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Was wondering why all these sites were calling him 2020 but I guess he moved up too.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was wondering why all these sites were calling him 2020 but I guess he moved up too.

500K huh?

If the G-League is paying that much not sure why any top prospect would still go to college. Ayton was rumored to only get 100K, and Zion 400K - and that means breaking NCAA rules to do so.

I think it is only going to be a short while before 18 year olds can go straight into the draft again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose