Redskins Off Season Drama

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the P&R thread:

Why the Washington Redskins’ new name, logo announcement could take a while

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/washington-redskins-new-name-logo/g62knhumywoh1s2z99isd5ty2

Martin McCaulay for years has been preparing for the NFL news that became official Monday. Washington announced it will retire its "Redskins" nickname and logos. At some point soon, the franchise will replace the racial slur with a new name.

Now McCaulay just needs the team to attempt to acquire one of the 40-plus word marks on which he already has filed trademarks.

McCaulay, a 61-year-old actuary who lives in Alexandria, Va., outside of Washington D.C., is not the only squatter who has filed to trademark names the NFL team could potentially pursue. But he has been at it for about six years, becoming ultra aggressive of late as the inevitability of the name change became more apparent.

“It was, I thought, a fun hobby,” McCaulay recently told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. “And it turned out that I got really good at it.”

McCaulay in 2015 told Fox 5 Washington D.C. he had to pay $20,000 per filing, and at the time, he had registered for trademark protection on 15 names. According to Pro Football Talk's review of the United States Patent and Trademark Office database, McCaulay recently filed applications for a handful of new trademarks, including "Washington Red Wolves," which is a favorite of at least one of the team's key players.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I am not PC but this was the only logo and nickname that I thought was a little over the top. That being said, I would not have changed it until the market forced it. That’s capitalism at work

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not PC but this was the only logo and nickname that I thought was a little over the top. That being said, I would not have changed it until the market forced it. That’s capitalism at work

because... fudge the people who were offended by it?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to say this.

I have no problem with the Skins changing their name. I care not.

But I would also ask why now other than some fake virtue signalling?

And I say that because the very people it's supposed to be offensive to largely have no issue with it. In fact in all polls I have seen the vast majority of Indians have said they are somewhere between proud and indifferent to it, with only 9% saying they are offended.

I'm just not into fake virtue. If Indians generally have no problem with it why should anyone else?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm going to say this.

And I say that because the very people it's supposed to be offensive to largely have no issue with it. In fact in all polls I have seen the vast majority of Indians have said they are somewhere between proud and indifferent to it, with only 9% saying they are offended.

I'm just not into fake virtue. If Indians generally have no problem with it why should anyone else?
Pretty sure 90% of the people that are offended by it are white college students...

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm going to say this.

Something I agree with.

The conversation is a hard one to make because so much of it is sensitive to a lot of people these days. But, "fake virtue" or as I call it, pacification is not the same as admitting poor behavior, apologizing for it, and changing your ways.

But, without seeing behind the curtain, who knows why?

In the end, who cares. Change the name. It was stupid then and it is stupid now.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
From the P&R thread:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/washington-redskins-new-name-logo/g62knhumywoh1s2z99isd5ty2

Martin McCaulay for years has been preparing for the NFL news that became official Monday. Washington announced it will retire its "Redskins" nickname and logos. At some point soon, the franchise will replace the racial slur with a new name.

Now McCaulay just needs the team to attempt to acquire one of the 40-plus word marks on which he already has filed trademarks.

McCaulay, a 61-year-old actuary who lives in Alexandria, Va., outside of Washington D.C., is not the only squatter who has filed to trademark names the NFL team could potentially pursue. But he has been at it for about six years, becoming ultra aggressive of late as the inevitability of the name change became more apparent.

“It was, I thought, a fun hobby,” McCaulay recently told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. “And it turned out that I got really good at it.”

McCaulay in 2015 told Fox 5 Washington D.C. he had to pay $20,000 per filing, and at the time, he had registered for trademark protection on 15 names. According to Pro Football Talk's review of the United States Patent and Trademark Office database, McCaulay recently filed applications for a handful of new trademarks, including "Washington Red Wolves," which is a favorite of at least one of the team's key players.

So this guy has 800k in naming rights that may never happen? That seems like way more than a "fun hobby". I hope the team purposely looks at his list and then goes a different direction.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are in Washington DC.

You can just call them the Washington Pigs, or Washington Hogs. For the greedy P.O.S. that work there.

I used to think it was cool Washington used to call their offensive line the "Hogs."

The way I look at the name change, using the name "Redskins" was wrong to begin with. Anytime one can correct a wrong is a good time.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to say this.

I bet that one could create a push poll that would have about the same results for a change to Washington.

Opposition to the name dates back to Jack Kent Cook days when he would trot out a fake 'squaw" to say there was no problem.

It never galvanized the public but has now and sponsors have reacted.

If virtue, fake and real gets this result then three cheers for it.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From the P&R thread:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...gton-franchise/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you saying white college kids are the educated? If I was into virtue signaling which I’m not some would say your response is problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People who are completing or have completed an undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate degree are described as part of the "educated" class. Doesn't mean they don't have more to learn, etc., from life's lessons. Trump has an undergrad degree and as such a member of the group. It, however, would be "problematic" to argue that he's truly educated.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what happened. Capitalism is still a god.

There's money to be made in the name change too. Think of all the new gear/apparel there is to be sold with the new name/logo. Important to get it right and have something the fans will rally around and support ... be it Sentinels or Red Wolves, etc.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's money to be made in the name change too. Think of all the new gear/apparel there is to be sold with the new name/logo. Important to get it right and have something the fans will rally around and support ... be it Sentinels or Red Wolves, etc.

Yep. If it is done right the merchandise sales could be insane.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone can refuse Redtails or Red Tails or however it is spelled. A salute to an important piece of American history, the military and they can keep the R logo. Seems like a no-brainer so Snyder will find a way to screw it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose