The Boys (Amazon)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm almost finished with season 1 of Banshee. I've enjoyed it but haven't been able to binge it. I watch an episode about every week, which works. It reminds of old action flicks from the 80's and early 90's told in a long form episodic manner. It's similar to other Cinemax series in that regard, like Strike Back, Quarry, and Jett. Not something that will draw in a ton of viewers but a well made series worth your time.

Can't wait for season 2 of The Boys. I figure we'll hear something soon about a premiere date. I know shooting finished well before the pandemic so there shouldn't be any delays for this season. The first season premiered in mid July so I would imagine we won't have to wait any longer than that for season 2.
The walking dead shooting was done but post production is holding up the finale. Could impact the boys too.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not really into the whole superhero genre, but we tried this out last night at the urging of our son and I was pleasantly surprised. Kind of fun to have the "superheros" being the corrupt "bad guys". Looking forward to see how this plays out.

I have seen thor and guardians of the galaxy. That's it. Genre doesnt get me excited. however....the boys? AWESOME.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finished Season 1 earlier this week, excellent ending. Set up lots of interesting questions for season 2.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In what world is September 4th "soon"? 2020 feels like it's been 4 years on it's own already.

They've been saying "soon" since August of last year though. The only thing I can think of is they delayed this season's release because they know season 3 will come even later due to Covid-19. They were shooting season 2 when season 1 dropped last year and had wrapped all shooting before the big Hollywood shutdown in March or April.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In what world is September 4th "soon"? 2020 feels like it's been 4 years on it's own already.

They've been saying "soon" since August of last year though. The only thing I can think of is they delayed this season's release because they know season 3 will come even later due to Covid-19. They were shooting season 2 when season 1 dropped last year and had wrapped all shooting before the big Hollywood shutdown in March or April.

that show has a ton of FX work in it which takes a long time. also, just because shooting wrapped doesn't mean all that much as far as the delay. Post-production on a show like that can take months as well... and it was probably interrupted by the shutdown also.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a trailer for season 2. The first 4 episodes drop September 4th and then the final 4 episodes will drop weekly. Not a fan of the release schedule but I've watched the first season 3 times already and love it so I'll just be impatiently waiting for the new episodes.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I finished season 1 a few days ago. I was pleasantly surprised. Usually shows like this start to drag on after 4 or 5 episodes (e.g. Jessica Jones), but this one actually got better. Looking forward to season 2.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a trailer for season 2. The first 4 episodes drop September 4th and then the final 4 episodes will drop weekly. Not a fan of the release schedule but I've watched the first season 3 times already and love it so I'll just be impatiently waiting for the new episodes.

PUMPED! :rockon:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

That hybrid release is a bit weird. For shows like this I wish they'd do weekly. You can always wait in binge it at the end if you prefer to binge. For good show I like the weekly release for the water cooler aspect of it. It's nice to have everyone on the same page for a few days to discuss the episode and not have to worry about spoilers. I also feel that it helps the show build an audience. If I'm raving about it for 10 weeks straight at work I know a few people are going to pick it up. If I watch it all on a weekend everyone will get an earful on Monday but a week or two later we won't be talking about it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That hybrid release is a bit weird. For shows like this I wish they'd do weekly. You can always wait in binge it at the end if you prefer to binge. For good show I like the weekly release for the water cooler aspect of it. It's nice to have everyone on the same page for a few days to discuss the episode and not have to worry about spoilers. I also feel that it helps the show build an audience. If I'm raving about it for 10 weeks straight at work I know a few people are going to pick it up. If I watch it all on a weekend everyone will get an earful on Monday but a week or two later we won't be talking about it.

It's always good for banter about shows that do weekly releases especially if that banter is on ASFN. :cheers:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's always good for banter about shows that do weekly releases especially if that banter is on ASFN. :cheers:

And since I've been working from home for 4 month and probably will be for at least the rest of the year there's no better place to hang out to argue banter.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was a small blurb about this in the season 3 renewal article but I meant to comment on it here as well. Amazon has green-lit an aftershow for The Boys titled Prime Rewind: Inside The Boys that will be hosted by Aisha Tyler. It will be available after episodes of The Boys and will feature members of the cast, creative team and other special guests.

It sounds like Talking Dead, for those familiar with that series. Just a recap where they gush over the recent episode and discuss it in detail with a cast member or two plus a "celebrity fan". The quality of these sort of shows vary based on who the guests are. I think Tyler is a good host but she can't do much with bad guests. The Boys cast seem to love what they're doing based on interviews I've seen so I'll check it out.

Here's an article about that series.

Here is a video from C2E2 this year, in March, with a good portion of the cast discussing season 1 and what's in store for season 2. I'm not normally a fan of watching panels like that online but this one was quite entertaining as most everyone seemed to have a great time talking about the show. Antony Starr, who plays Homelander, is the highlight of the panel, IMO. I wasn't really familiar with him before this series and have become a big fan of his, having watched Banshee largely because of his work in The Boys and knowing he's the lead in that.

The panel features Karl Urban (Billy Butcher), Antony Starr (Homelander), Erin Moriarty (Starlight), Dominique McElligott (Queen Maeve), and Laz Alonso (Mothers Milk).

Video features very NSFW language, which should be expected considering the show being discussed.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They've also released a scene from season 2 which is quite good. Looks like they got a hefty CGI budget for this year.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting closer. Here is an official trailer that just released today. You can see an idea of where the story is headed in this one.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2 new episodes dropping at midnight tonight, possibly 9pm AZ time. I can't wait. I haven't waited for a show to return like this since the season 2 finale of Game of Thrones when I was 100% all in on it and started reading the books in the off season. I've already read The Boys and have been re-reading them as of late but the show is quite different but not in a way that damages either property, the comic or show.

We'll get new episodes weekly from here on out and there will be a post show also, which is hosted by Aisha Tyler. Not sure if there will be a post show for the first 2 episodes but either way, I'm pumped.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what I'll be spending a portion of my long weekend on. :clapping:

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know what I'll be spending a portion of my long weekend on. :clapping:

It's only 3 episodes. I quite enjoyed episodes 1 & 2 but thought 3 felt like filler more than any other episode has so far. It wasn't bad, it was still good, but I might have set the bar too high. It's also possible I had false expectations since that 3rd episode was the last for the week that they'd give us a cliffhanger or something to tune in next week. I'll rewatch all of them this weekend though.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has anyone seen "Inside The Boys" yet? That's the aftershow hosted by Aisha Tyler. There are 4 episodes up. The first episode is a recap of season 1 and a hype episode for season 2. The next 3 episodes are for 1, 2, and 3 of season 2. It helps give you a bit more, which is good if you're like me and can't get enough of this show.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's only 3 episodes. I quite enjoyed episodes 1 & 2 but thought 3 felt like filler more than any other episode has so far. It wasn't bad, it was still good, but I might have set the bar too high. It's also possible I had false expectations since that 3rd episode was the last for the week that they'd give us a cliffhanger or something to tune in next week. I'll rewatch all of them this weekend though.

I'm glad you posted this. I felt the same way but wondering if I messed something. All the comments I've been seeing have been the opposite. So many people saying the first two were slow and boring but it picked up with the 3rd. I've been planning to rewatch it to see what I missed.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson