Orlando: Suns restart 2019-20 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Oubre and Booker are in Orlando.

I'd much rather see Kelly play than not but him traveling with the team and being part of the bubble, tells me that there isn't some underlying issue to him missing games. It's more a case of what's been said by Suns management, that they want to focus on rehabbing him. He was able to rehab on his own but he hasn't really had the chance to be evaluated by the training staff until this trip so I see no issue with holding him out of largely meaningless games.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
No, I was a bit disappointed she's going with a pay model. I'll probably check it out next season but I've been happy with ESPN Insider so far. That's given me just enough extra content that paying for something else would probably be too much.
How else do you expect her to eat and pay her rent?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not sure I totally agree with your last statement, especially for highly picked, number 1 pick centers? Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Mourning, Robinson all became stars immediately and all had their teams in the playoffs in year 2 and some of them even pushed their teams to the Finals by year 2 or 3. there are obviously others who took a while to become stars (Marc Gasol, Dwight Howard) but it doesn't seem to me from my recollection that it's a really tough transition as opposed to other positions, especially for those guys taken at the very top of the draft.

There has to be context in some of these comparisons... Duncan and Hakeem were paired with HoF big men from day 1, Shaq in year 2 had Penny and Horace Grant, everyone you mention played 3+ years in college.

Ayton was a stellar defender, efficient on offense and clearly we were waaaay better when he was on the court. The fear a year ago was that Ayton was going to get a defensive sieve, he seems to have put that to bed. He needs to get better at attacking the rim and not settling for jumpers (and he did get better there as the year went on) and, most importantly, no more season screwing suspensions.

IMO, we'd be a playoff team if not for his suspension.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How else do you expect her to eat and pay her rent?

I have no issue with her trying to make money off of her work but I think charging for it right out of the gate is a bit off-putting. She'll have some people join from the Athletic but for newer subscribers, like me, I won't pay for her newsletter because I did fine without it the last 2 years she's covered the Suns. I'm not going to start paying monthly for her coverage of 2 weeks worth of Suns basketball. It just seems like you're not getting much at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I was a bit disappointed she's going with a pay model. I'll probably check it out next season but I've been happy with ESPN Insider so far. That's given me just enough extra content that paying for something else would probably be too much.

I will continue to follow Gina Mizell on twitter as I do many other sports writers but I'm not doing the pay stuff right now. Mostly wanted to get your thoughts and say hello.

I'm so ready for basketball.

If I do the pay coverage it will probably be ESPN Insider as well. Duane Rankin has impressed how he perseveres covering the Suns presumably while on furlough from azcentral.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd much rather see Kelly play than not but him traveling with the team and being part of the bubble, tells me that there isn't some underlying issue to him missing games. It's more a case of what's been said by Suns management, that they want to focus on rehabbing him. He was able to rehab on his own but he hasn't really had the chance to be evaluated by the training staff until this trip so I see no issue with holding him out of largely meaningless games.

I'm glad to see Oubre traveling with the team even if he rehabs and doesn't play. It tells me the team is unified. James Jones said something to the effect he is glad that he has a group of players excited to be a part of the franchise. Of course this hasn't always been true in the past.

I'm really looking at Orlando as sort of preseason for next season.

Low expectations has been sit for Cameron Payne but there is no doubt he has NBA talent. Maybe being out of the NBA last season has given him extra incentive. Why the Suns didn't look at Trey Burke still puzzles me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no issue with her trying to make money off of her work but I think charging for it right out of the gate is a bit off-putting. She'll have some people join from the Athletic but for newer subscribers, like me, I won't pay for her newsletter because I did fine without it the last 2 years she's covered the Suns. I'm not going to start paying monthly for her coverage of 2 weeks worth of Suns basketball. It just seems like you're not getting much at all.
She's been doing it for free for a couple weeks now. She'll start charging once games start. Not sure that qualifies as "right out of the gate."

And I'm surprised people still pay for Insider. Have you been paying for it over the last 4 months while there are no sports going on?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's been doing it for free for a couple weeks now. She'll start charging once games start. Not sure that qualifies as "right out of the gate."

And I'm surprised people still pay for Insider. Have you been paying for it over the last 4 months while there are no sports going on?

Insider is free with ESPN+ and I get that for free with my Hulu & Disney+ bundle. I ditched my cable a few months ago and with sports returning I decided to look at ESPN+ and noticed I could bundle those services without changing my price. Insider is included with ESPN+ subs so it's free also.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I find your "off-putting" comment laughable. First of all, all of her content has been free to this point, so you're inaccurate as well. She got laid off from the Athletic. She has no income. This is how she makes a living. So, yeah, she's gonna charge whether you like it or not.

I personally was paying for an Athletic subscription and her content was mostly what I read so I have no problem paying her instead. I've already cancelled my Athletic subscription.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Insider is free with ESPN+ and I get that for free with my Hulu & Disney+ bundle. I ditched my cable a few months ago and with sports returning I decided to look at ESPN+ and noticed I could bundle those services without changing my price. Insider is included with ESPN+ subs so it's free also.
Ah, then that's probably worth it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 week's worth of games. That's all I'm asking!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell talks about Al McCoy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duane Rankin provides practice schedule. Suns start practice on Thursday.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find your "off-putting" comment laughable. First of all, all of her content has been free to this point, so you're inaccurate as well. She got laid off from the Athletic. She has no income. This is how she makes a living. So, yeah, she's gonna charge whether you like it or not.

I personally was paying for an Athletic subscription and her content was mostly what I read so I have no problem paying her instead. I've already cancelled my Athletic subscription.

I wasn't aware she was already putting out articles and offering those for free. That does change things. I know I saw her announce she was starting her own site and then I heard it would subscription based and didn't bother paying anymore attention to it because I didn't pay for her stuff when she was with the Athletic and I wasn't going to pay for it on it's own. However offering a free trial of sorts now makes sense to get people familiar with her style of writing and coverage before she starts charging. I don't think I'll pay for it during the restart but I might pay for it if she's still doing it next season, depending on how much I enjoy what she's put out already.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
60-30-15 or he's a bust
How about he becomes a key to Suns victories instead?

And doesn't get suspended. And doesn't shy away from
contact or play 20 feet from the post.

Losing teams talk about individual stats. Winners talk
about their #1 pick (a Center) making a difference in
the standings.

Let's hope we see a clutch Deandre Ayton going forward.
On offense, defense . . . and dominating rebounds, not
just stat fillers.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
How about he becomes a key to Suns victories instead?

And doesn't get suspended. And doesn't shy away from
contact or play 20 feet from the post.

Losing teams talk about individual stats. Winners talk
about their #1 pick (a Center) making a difference in
the standings.

Let's hope we see a clutch Deandre Ayton going forward.
On offense, defense . . . and dominating rebounds, not
just stat fillers.

Save that energy for every single player who’s donned a Suns jersey in the past 10 seasons, because not one player has been able to break the seal; and unless your name is Lebron James, it’s silly to even entertain.

Relax and enjoy his progress. Stop running off quality players from this team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some comments from Monty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads