Patrick Mahomes Given 10 Year Extension

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have been awesome if the Cardinals had the foresight to move up in the 2017 draft to select Mahomes. I guess a lot of teams are thinking the same thing.

This is not meant to take anything away from Murray.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is really interesting. The only downsides (and they’re potentially considerable) is if he gets injured or there’s some unforeseen ebb with the NFL. I mean, 10 years can see a lot of change (not predicting this, but 10 years is . . . well . . . a decade).
Agreed. There is risk but in my mind the risks are limited to freak occurrences more than likely outcomes. Mahomes could never win another Super Bowl in KC but get them to the playoffs 5 out of 10 years and it will be considered a good deal. A title and long term relevance is all most fans and owners ask for.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its the most important position in all of sports. Having an elite QB pretty much gives you a 75% chance at the playoffs every year, which means your team is in the national spotlight, you are getting prime time games, etc.

The Cheifs have Mahomes for 12 more years. I would put money right now on them making the playoffs in 8 of those years. Lets say without Mahomes they would be lucky to make it 4 times. So even if they went one and done, what is the additional revenue for 4 playoff games?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets say without Mahomes they would be lucky to make it 4 times.
First of all, i totally agree with your post.

I realize that it's difficult for us Cards fans to conceive, but with 12, and now 14 of 32 teams making the playoffs each year, no team is "lucky" to make the playoffs 4 times in 12 years. 5-6 times every 12 years is just average!

...dave

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First of all, i totally agree with your post.

I realize that it's difficult for us Cards fans to conceive, but with 12, and now 14 of 32 teams making the playoffs each year, no team is "lucky" to make the playoffs 4 times in 12 years. 5-6 times every 12 years is just average!

...dave

With no franchise QB...you are lucky to make it to the playoffs one out of every 3 years. Give me the teams that have been to the playoffs 4 times or more in 12 years without a franchise QB

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With no franchise QB...you are lucky to make it to the playoffs one out of every 3 years. Give me the teams that have been to the playoffs 4 times or more in 12 years without a franchise QB
I don't disagree... but it kinda makes for a circular argument, since if a QB takes his team to the playoffs more often than average, he's likely to be considered a franchise QB, and if not, then not.

But since you asked for a list... here you go:

1. Baltimore (7 playoffs in the 12 years BEFORE Lamar Jackson - once with McNair, and the rest with Flacco. Insert argument about whether Flacco was/is a franchise QB here.)

2. Cincinnati (6 playoffs in the last 12 years - once with Palmer, the rest with Dalton)

3. Houston (6/12 - twice with Schaub [!], once with Hoyer [!!] and once with Osweiler [!!!], and twice with obvious franchise QB Watson. 4 playoffs in 6 years with the other scrubs!)

4. Kansas City (5 playoffs in the 10 years before Mahomes, with Cassel and Smith)

5. Philadelphia (7/12 - twice with McNabb, once with Vick, once with Foles, and now three times with Wentz)

6. Minnesota (6/12 - once with Frerotte, once with Favre, once with Ponder [!], once with Bridgewater, once with Keenum, and once with Cousins!)

7. San Francisco (4/12 - once with Smith, twice with Kaepernick, and once with Garroppolo)

8. Arizona (4/12 - twice with Warner, once with Stanton [yes, he played more than Palmer that year], and once with Palmer)

So... after removing the 10 teams that went to the playoffs 4+ times in the last 12 years with obvious franchise QBs (New England, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Denver even though Manning was only good for 2 of the 4 years, plus Tebow once, Dallas if you count Romo + Prescott, Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta, Carolina, Seattle), still 8 of the remaining 22 teams have made the playoffs 4+ times with a cast of journeymen or fringe franchise QBs.

So overall, 59% of teams have made the playoffs 4+ times in the last 12 years - some FAR more than that. But yeah, if you're one of the 22 teams that didn't have a franchise QB over that span, then you need to be a little lucky to make the playoffs 4+ times out of 12, with only 37% reaching or exceeding that threshold. Including the Chiefs without Mahomes.

...dave

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Awesome contract
Most of the guarantees are roster bonuses so the team can get out of it at any time if things go bad
Meanwhile Pat gets serious paid so long as things go relatively well

the structure looks good for both sides

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Awesome contract
Most of the guarantees are roster bonuses so the team can get out of it at any time if things go bad
Meanwhile Pat gets serious paid so long as things go relatively well

the structure looks good for both sides
I'm glad you can interpret this for me. I try to read it and it just boggles my mind, can't get through it.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

When did Andy Reid know Patrick Mahomes was HIM?​

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media