Inherent Vice

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inherent Vice

Release Date: December 12, 2014 (limited; wide release: January 9, 2015)
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson
MPAA Rating: R (for drug use throughout, sexual content, graphic nudity, language and some violence)
Screenwriter: Paul Thomas Anderson
Genre: Drama

Starring: Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin, Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Jena Malone, Owen Wilson, Martin Short, Katherine Waterston, Joanna Newson

Plot Summary: "Inherent Vice" is the seventh feature from Paul Thomas Anderson and the first ever film adaption of a Thomas Pynchon novel. When private eye Doc Sportello's ex-old lady suddenly out of nowhere shows up with a story about her current billionaire land developer boyfriend whom she just happens to be in love with, and a plot by his wife and her boyfriend to kidnap that billionaire and throw him in a loony bin... well, easy for her to say. It's the tail end of the psychedelic '60s and paranoia is running the day and Doc knows that "love" is another of those words going around at the moment, like "trip" or "groovy," that's being way too overused—except this one usually leads to trouble. With a cast of characters that includes surfers, hustlers, dopers and rockers, a murderous loan shark, LAPD Detectives, a tenor sax player working undercover, and a mysterious entity known as the Golden Fang, which may only be a tax dodge set up by some dentists... Part surf noir, part psychedelic romp - all Thomas Pynchon.

You must be registered for see images attach

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a couple reviews of this and it looks pretty good, at least for my age group.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to this one. Pretty weird and far out there, but that didn't bother me. Great performances by everyone involved. It needed some serious editing and tightening, though. At 2 1/2 hours, it was 1/2 hour to 45 minutes too long.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to this one. Pretty weird and far out there, but that didn't bother me. Great performances by everyone involved. It needed some serious editing and tightening, though. At 2 1/2 hours, it was 1/2 hour to 45 minutes too long.

Performances were good, but I'm not sure what I watched here; just couldn't get into it. Perhaps it would be better upon a 2nd viewing.