NBA approves its return plan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a player misses coronavirus test one or two days before departure they won't be able to travel.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Someone may have already mentioned it but I was wondering if anyone knows the percentage of false positives in the testing. If the season actually does start back up I'm just wondering if there could come the scenario where a star player tests positive and can't play in a crucial playoff game and then they find out afterwards he never had it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone may have already mentioned it but I was wondering if anyone knows the percentage of false positives in the testing. If the season actually does start back up I'm just wondering if there could come the scenario where a star player tests positive and can't play in a crucial playoff game and then they find out afterwards he never had it.

I've heard various claims on the accuracy, from 60-90% for the nasal swab and 95% for blood tests. I believe the NBA has announced it's doing blood tests, which is the most accurate testing available. It's hard to find concrete info on any accuracy because most credible sources are avoiding putting a number out there because it's still fairly early in the testing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bucks will not reopen practice facility before departure.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These messages include.

From ESPN:

The list of the approved suggested social messages, per the source, for the back of the NBA jerseys: Black Lives Matter; Say Their Names; Vote; I Can't Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man; Speak Up; How Many More; Group Economics; Education Reform; and Mentor.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29405787/source-nba-union-agree-list-social-messages-put-jerseys

Corporate sanctioned social justice messaging. So inspiring.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corporate sanctioned social justice messaging. So inspiring.

The NBA players and owners unlike some other professional sports worked very together to make some joint decisions about the return to play. You make it sound bad. It's another way to support social reform.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NBA players and owners unlike some other professional sports worked very together to make some joint decisions about the return to play. You make it sound bad. It's another way to support social reform.

They worked very hard on social messaging and protest language that is advertiser approved. The NBA showed its true colors during the Hong Kong fiasco. Their social stances are highly correlated with their revenue.

They're a business. Nothing wrong with that, but in the end they're no different than Amazon or Walmart.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They worked very hard on social messaging and protest language that is advertiser approved. The NBA showed its true colors during the Hong Kong fiasco. Their social stances are highly correlated with their revenue.

They're a business. Nothing wrong with that, but in the end they're no different than Amazon or Walmart.

Collective bargaining is not a bad thing and it helps to work through a lot of issues for both sides.

The NBA has opened a lot of doors but it cannot solve all the world's problems. Some things take time. I don't think either the owners or the players wanted to risk losing billions of dollars taking a stance when there was so much to lose.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I don't see that many Chinese players in the league driving that Hong Kong Message like the percentage of African American players that drive the Black Lives Matter message.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The expectation that these guys should express the same level of activism for a city half the world away as the communities they grew up in is absurd.

Separate from the NBA’s partnerships in China, players are invested in the country, too. Several of them, including stars LeBron James and Steph Curry, make annual visits to sell apparel products from Nike and Under Armour.

Chinese apparel companies have also signed NBA players to endorsement deals: Klay Thompson and Gordon Hayward with Anta, CJ McCollum with Li-Ning and Lou Williams with Peak. Thompson's deal with Anta could reach $80 million over 10 years, according to ESPN. Williams has said he earns more from his endorsement deal than he does playing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/20/the...ular-sports-league-heres-how-it-happened.html

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Separate from the NBA’s partnerships in China, players are invested in the country, too. Several of them, including stars LeBron James and Steph Curry, make annual visits to sell apparel products from Nike and Under Armour.

Chinese apparel companies have also signed NBA players to endorsement deals: Klay Thompson and Gordon Hayward with Anta, CJ McCollum with Li-Ning and Lou Williams with Peak. Thompson's deal with Anta could reach $80 million over 10 years, according to ESPN. Williams has said he earns more from his endorsement deal than he does playing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/20/the...ular-sports-league-heres-how-it-happened.html
Investment in China and investment in their communities are two completely different things in this case. One is about money, one is about social change. Can you not see the difference?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Investment in China and investment in their communities are two completely different things in this case. One is about money, one is about social change. Can you not see the difference?

Yeah no kidding. That’s why Daryl Morey was forced to apologize for a tweet supporting human rights in HK and the rest of the NBA was put on gag order.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah no kidding. That’s why Daryl Morey was forced to apologize for a tweet supporting human rights in HK and the rest of the NBA was put on gag order.
I can see you're not even open to a discussion. So let's end it here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So you think Morey should have apologized since they’re two different things?
IT DOESN'T MATTER, because YES, it is two different things. Morey was pressured to apologize to the Chinese government because the NBA has such a hold in the Chinese market. The NBA didn't want anything jeopardizing their business interests in CHINA.

Yes, it is completely different. They don't care as much about the business interests here because their market here is completely different. You still haven't told me why you don't understand that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
IT DOESN'T MATTER, because YES, it is two different things. Morey was pressured to apologize to the Chinese government because the NBA has such a hold in the Chinese market. The NBA didn't want anything jeopardizing their business interests in CHINA.

Yes, it is completely different. They don't care as much about the business interests here because their market here is completely different. You still haven't told me why you don't understand that.

Ok got it. No business that prides itself as a global brand should support human rights unless it doesn’t benefit them financially. We’re on the same page.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do you have to crap on something that has positive messaging? Who cares if it’s corporate sanctioned? What do you want to have happen here? You want shut up and dribble?

I don't agree with the shut up an dribble, act, or sing mantra. Athletes should be free to voice their opinions and support their causes outside of the games.

I simply don't watch sports for that. I realize there will be some overlap in sports with politics and religion, but I prefer that to be minimal during the games. I don't want to see MAGA slogans anymore than SJW slogans.

Corporate and advertiser approved social justice messaging is just hollow. The league and players will follow the cash wherever it ultimately leads. The acquiescing to China cemented that fact.

I do support the NBA and players rights to do as they please. They'll have to deal with the outcome of their decisions.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hey man it's not the same.

China only forcefully harvests the organs of their political detainees and tortures millions of Muslims in internment camps. They're not an evil racist country like the US.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...-organs-detainees-tribunal-concludes-n1018646

https://time.com/5738401/xinjiang-uighur-muslim-camps-china-cables/

Without Chinese dollars everybody in the NBA takes massive haircut. They're free to crap all over the US with little to no consequence.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't agree with the shut up an dribble, act, or sing mantra. Athletes should be free to voice their opinions and support their causes outside of the games.

I simply don't watch sports for that. I realize there will be some overlap in sports with politics and religion, but I prefer that to be minimal during the games. I don't want to see MAGA slogans anymore than SJW slogans.

Corporate and advertiser approved social justice messaging is just hollow. The league and players will follow the cash wherever it ultimately leads. The acquiescing to China cemented that fact.

I do support the NBA and players rights to do as they please. They'll have to deal with the outcome of their decisions.

I see this line of thinking with the nfl too and it hasn’t seemed to hurt the league enough (if at all) to preclude a $500,000,000 contract. I doubt we will see a significant waning of interest in the nba either.

as for corporate social stances, perhaps you’ve not experienced or worked for a company that puts its money, power, and activity where it’s mouth is. My company is incredible and social movements are welcome and encouraged and the employees are incredibly strengthened by it. Causes our company culture to soar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok got it. No business that prides itself as a global brand should support human rights unless it doesn’t benefit them financially. We’re on the same page.

Something to think about.

If Morey hadn't done the tweet, China would have seen how the NBA and the players deal with social injustice by airing NBA games and seeing the message players deliver. Now I'm not so sure what happens.

I support Morey's message but seeing it play out in real life would have been better. Action speaks louder than words.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier reports that Mitchell and Gobert had made nice seems premature.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magic will be first team in the bubble.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member