When the Preseason Games Start

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Last season you may recall early on I wrote playing Murray on a limited basis and concealing the offense was a huge mistake. After a horrendous start, KK conceded I was correct. This season he will face much the same type of concerns. The limitations on offseason workouts have left a major timing issue with the Murray/Hopkins connection. Simply playing catch and running standard routes is not a substitute for game timing.

Last season’s restrictions made it all too apparent that Murray had a limited perception of his receivers’ tendencies. He also struggled to lead them and understand how they would break off routes. Now he has a presumed number one receiver of whom he has only video to substitute for rapport. It will be critical that this combination plays an inordinate amount this preseason if the Cards hope to be playoff contenders. They have to get together working at game speed.

The probable shortening of the preseason coupled with virus concerns will pressure KK to be conservative. He must resist this potential constraint. Frankly I’m less concerned about developing the offensive draftees & UDFAs than settling the offense. The defensive FAs & draftees will need to play as much as possible.

I just feel the Cards must go all in if they really believe they are a playoff team.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Latest news was that preseason would be reduced to 2 games. This was quickly walked back by the NFLPA who claimed "they didn't agree to nuthin'".

All which points to a very fluid situation where anything can change at the drop of a flag.

From the perspective of an Easterner 2,000 miles away from the local action, the state of Arizona seems poised to medically fall over the proverbial "cliff" and, as such remains the 800 lb. gorilla that could still jeopardize the 2020 regular season.

As such, what is the likelihood that things will get so bad in AZ that the football season could still be shot down. AZ folks - How are you dealing with ordinary stuff day to day? Is the regular season still likely to survive?

I can't help but wonder whether it is a misplaced priority to worry about dumb games when the fate of mankind may very well be at stake? Or am I overreacting?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Latest news was that preseason would be reduced to 2 games. This was quickly walked back by the NFLPA who claimed "they didn't agree to nuthin'".

All which points to a very fluid situation where anything can change at the drop of a flag.

From the perspective of an Easterner 2,000 miles away from the local action, the state of Arizona seems poised to medically fall over the proverbial "cliff" and, as such remains the 800 lb. gorilla that could still jeopardize the 2020 regular season.

As such, what is the likelihood that things will get so bad in AZ that the football season could still be shot down. AZ folks - How are you dealing with ordinary stuff day to day? Is the regular season still likely to survive?

I can't help but wonder whether it is a misplaced priority to worry about dumb games when the fate of mankind may very well be at stake? Or am I overreacting?
You're over-reacting. Of course, so is most of the nation, and all of media.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As TC time is closing in , I wish for the confidence I had just a month ago that we would have a season , but doubt is closing in on that confidence , or should I say reality instead o f doubt ? Texas - 2 teams , surging corona , Fl.- 3 teams surging corona , Calf . - 3 teams surging corona , Last but not least Ar. - 1 team surging corona , that's 9 teams total with those 4 states . Not looking promising by any standard . I could use some Rah - Rah - Rah from all of you right now .

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
As TC time is closing in , I wish for the confidence I had just a month ago that we would have a season , but doubt is closing in on that confidence , or should I say reality instead o f doubt ? Texas - 2 teams , surging corona , Fl.- 3 teams surging corona , Calf . - 3 teams surging corona , Last but not least Ar. - 1 team surging corona , that's 9 teams total with those 4 states . Not looking promising by any standard . I could use some Rah - Rah - Rah from all of you right now .

Can't forget GA and NC/SC. These states are also vying for a top spot in the COVID race to the top. I say NC/SC because the Panthers signed an agreement to hold training camp in SC with the state of SC. Our legislature essentially kissed the feet of the Panthers owner just to have their training camp in our state.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strictly talking football having only 2 preseason games is going to hurt a lot of players on the bubble trying to make the team. These games will likely be used to prepare for the season.

I'm hoping the NFL will allow teams to carry larger rosters especially with the potential of players losing time due to the virus. It's going to happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Lift Every Voice and Sing" to be played as Black national anthem before games in week 1 of NFL season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not overreacting at all. Ducey has closed most things down again for thirty days and has limited gatherings to 50 people. That puts the start of training camp at risk.

The NFL still has no idea how they are going to keep the players, coaches and other staff safe during practice let alone playing weekly games. The lock down may have to be extended which puts the season at risk. The virus is out of control here in Arizona.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not overreacting at all. Ducey has closed most things down again for thirty days and has limited gatherings to 50 people. That puts the start of training camp at risk.

The NFL still has no idea how they are going to keep the players, coaches and other staff safe during practice let alone playing weekly games. The lock down may have to be extended which puts the season at risk. The virus is out of control here in Arizona.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
They have a plan: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-sends-covid-19-protocols-for-camp-preseason-to-clubs
Also, if it’s an 50-gather limit they’ll likely either - A. Practice in another state or B. Split the team up accordingly to either come at different times or practice at different locations. It’s difficult, but doable.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Underrated as an ingrediant of success (or failure) is the matter of credibility.

Various parties (including League, players and politicians) announce their plans on a Tuesday and revise them 180 degrees by Thursday.

When you can't feel secure about how things will go down, it's hard to take these announcements (official, leaked or otherwise) seriously.

Just say what you'll do, do what you say and level with the fans.